water in controller

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
glt
water in controller

Anybody having problems with water getting into the controller of their Bionx?
I bought mine in March of 2008 and had to replace it in Aug. Now in November the controller has water in it again. As the rainy season is just beginning in Vancouver I'm really interested in how to prevent water getting into my controller. So far no problem with warranty.
When the controller malfunctioned the first time it went into full charge mode and made my ride over the lionsgate bridge really difficult, not looking forward to that again!
Thnks for ny advice
GLT

spinningmagnets
Re: water in controller

Could you please post a pic of the way you mounted the controller?

I'm not familiar with the BionX product (other than water-in-controller, are you happy with it?) Controllers are typically mounted so as to get some flow of cooling air.

If the case can be opened, I would reattach the cover with a smear of high-temp silicone on the edges. The hole where the wires go into the controllers should be facing down.

I suspect water is running down the wires into the controller. Drain holes on the bottom would help (perhaps with a tiny suspended cover) but I would prefer completely preventing water passing through.

If wires must travel up, ensure they have a drip-loop (go down from controller before turning up) so any water splashing on them will drip off.

If you try to completely seal the controller case, I have heard of problems with the controller cooling off at night and drawing in humidity. And when condensed, having no way out. Best of luck!

"I should have gone to college, went into real estate, and got an aquarium" -Jeffrey Dahmer (after confessing to 17 murders)

cyclepete

I assume you mean what Bionx calls their control "console", the speedometer-like device.

I've only had mine five months and have ridden it just over 1,600 miles. It's been unusually dry during this period. I think I've ridden in heavy rain only 2 times during this period, and light rain 3-4 times. Many times on wet roads, but I have fenders so that doesn't affect the bike. So I'm not the best judge of this problem.

So far, I've had absolutely no problems with water or anything else anywhere in the system. I don't leave the bike out in the rain, though. It lives in a warm garage at night and I bring it indoors at work if it is raining.

Reading other people's reviews on the Bionx, none seem to find any problems with rain. It sounds like you had a bad gasket in the console.

aima
aima's picture

The controller must be dry, or it won't work. I think u should get another one.[quote

aima,high-tech,high-quality eletric vehicles designer&maker.

glt

Thanks for the comments. Sorry its taken me so long to say thanks, got busy, got lazy etc.
I'm on my third controller now. Dealer has been great. (JV Bikes in Vancouver)No problem getting controller replaced. I think I'll have to start riding with a plastic bag over controller.
GLT

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage