Need help identifying hub motor

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bobocop
Need help identifying hub motor

I bought an e-bike, the ignition caught fire and the owner sold it very cheap.
the rear wheel works but i cannot find any info on the bike or the hub motor.
all I know is that it was 36 volts (3 batteries)
this is the bike.
Scooter_Before_2_400.jpg

the rear wheel has no markings indicating what type of motor it is, but it looks like this one.
rearwheel.jpg

I am building a chopper bike and was going to use a chain driven motor but then came across this, so i decided to buy it for the motor as the whole bike cost me 50 bucks.

Does anyone know if this is a brushed or brushless motor ?
(the hub motor assembly is heavy)

also a want to use direct power, (no controller) it will be 2 switches with relay, 0ne switch supplying 24 volts the other 48 volts (2 speed)
but the wires coming out of the hub look very thin, they look like they will melt under load, can these motors handle direct power or do they have to have a controller ?

Thanks

dogman
dogman's picture
Re: Need help identifying hub motor

Brushed has only two wires from the hub. Hooked to a battery, it spins. This type can be run without a controller. Brushless needs a controller. Peadle first brushless, is three wires. The motor runs if you get the wheel turning before you put on throttle. 5 wires, I think, is start immediate brushless, where you have power wires, and hall sensor wires. I could be wrong about the number of sensor wires on this type. From what I can see in the pic, you have that type. You will need a controller, what you called ignition. Ecrazyman on Ebay is usually the source of choice. Cheapest in most cases but a good seller. On the endless sphere there is lots of info on how to wire up these controllers. Other sources that may work are the web stores for scooterparts such as monsterscooterparts and electricscooterparts. That looks a lot like the WE motors, that are made by AOTEMA in china.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

Bobocop

Thanks for your reply dogman, the photo of the wheel (2nd pic) that i posted looks like mine but it also looks like it has more then 2 wires coming out,
mine only has 2 wires.
before i took the bike apart i tested it by hooking 36 volts up to it with a toggle switch and it pulled me along pretty well, so as you said it's probably Brushed.

i'll google on those 2 names you said {WE motors and AOTEMA) and see if i can find any info.
Thanks

dogman
dogman's picture

yup you're brushed. The brushed controllers are really cheap if you want to get one for it, but at 24v you can just uses an on off switch. by 36v it gets to where switches tend to melt. switches that don't melt may cost as much as a controller and throttle. Any brushed controller works fine, two wires from battery, two wires from motor, and the throttle. Much easier than the brushless controllers to figure out the wiring. That motor will happily run on a 48v controller if you want more speed.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

Bobocop

Thanks dogman.
I will be running 48V, on this build, so as you say better to get a controller.
i just started a couple of months ago with e-bikes when i came across a broken 18V pocket bike, i decided to try and build a chopper with the motor and 2 used 12V 7amp batteries i had laying around (located under the bike seat)
This is the bike.
red2.jpg

its hooked up with a switch motor goes to an 80T sprocket then to the rear gears, but the 18V motor (running on 24V) is sluggish.
I was going to get a better motor but when i saw this E-bike selling for $50 bucks i decided to buy it and use the rear wheel in a new project.

I have started, chopping up the e-bike and modifying the rear wheel.

scoot1.jpg

I will need to ask some questions when it's time for controller and batteries so I will open a new thread with photos of the build when i get alittle further to show how this project went.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage