Glove Box Debacle. Help?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
CAVectrix
Glove Box Debacle. Help?

Hi there. Great message board. I've had a Vectrix for a few months and haven't looked for message boards because I haven't had any issues, so this is a new discovery.

The other day, I did something foolish; as I was backing out of my parking space, I lost my balance (I caught my foot on a box near the bike) and the Vectrix started to fall to the left. The glove compartment door was open at the time, and the when the bike began to fall, the glove box door landed on the box.

Miraculously, I was able to lift the bike up before it fell too far (man, it's heavy!). But before I could do that, the glove compartment door was partially damaged. The photos I've uploaded illustrate the damage, which seems to be isolated to two places:
1. The connection between the arm of the glovebox door to the door
2. The arm of the glovebox door itself

That is to say, the plastic that holds the arm in place snapped, and now, even after bending the metal arm to be straight again, I can't get it to slide in and out as it is supposed to. Because this arm appears to be tied to a trigger on the locking mechanism, it also means that even if I bend the arm out of the way, I cannot properly close/lock the glove box door.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I'd like to pull the thing apart to see if I can fix the arm. If I can't fix it, I'd at least like to remove the parts myself (the arm and the glovebox door) so I can (hopefully??) buy just the parts from a dealership, as it seems no one caries parts for these, right? Note I am in Los Angeles, as well, if that impacts parts availability.

I haven't been able to find any kind of schematics, part numbers, or anything to get me started on this. So any ideas would be helpful! Thanks!

Broken-Vectrix_2.jpg

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: Glove Box Debacle. Help?

There is a steel cable from the ignition lock to the glove box door lock, but it has no connection to the metal piece you bent.

Activate the glovebox opening mechanism with the key a few times and look at the top of the box housing. You'll see what it does.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

CAVectrix

That is certainly good news! Thanks for the response.

Any ideas on the approach for removing/fixing/replacing the arm and door, though? The door has lost much of it's structural stability without the arm.

Criswell Vectri...

We have the glovebox assembly in stock.
We could UPS it to you.
Send me an email to fleet-man [at] msn.com.
I can send you drawings and service manual instructions.

Scott Silverman
Criswell Vectrix

Scott Silverman
Fleet Sales Manager
Criswell Automotive & Powersports
Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA
(Washington DC Area)

lavectrix

That's some awesome service from Criswell Vectrix! I wish we had a dealer like that in the L.A. area...

This is OT and of no help at all, but I'm curious as to what part of L.A. you're in CAVectrix? I know there are a few of us around here, but I've never spotted another one on the streets. Just curious...

Mik
Mik's picture

How much did the parts cost you?

Were you able to install it yourself or did you have to pay for labour?

Mik
Mik's picture

Any details?

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage