1000 Watt Zappy Classic needs larger pinion Gear HELP!

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
1000WattZappyClassic
1000 Watt Zappy Classic needs larger pinion Gear HELP!

I recently fabricated my scooter for a 1000 watt motor to fit and drive it(my Zappy classic). It works Great! It pulls me(220lbs.) up very steep hills without even slowing down as if they were not hills.

Problems: 1). When accelerating too fast from low speeds, it pulls the front wheel off of the ground. It will throw me right off if I am not careful. If I lean forward too much to hold the front down from lifting up, it either lifts me up anyway, the belt skips or both. It will hit a top speed of around 12-15 mph.

2). I want to put a bigger gear on the motor. I think if its bigger, more teeth will be grabbing the belt and the belt won't skip. Plus it will give me a lot more speed. Faster than 15mph. I want to go UP about 3-4 teeth or at least try several different sizes of gears but I can't find any anywhere. Only 13 tooth 5mm which is what I already have. I would like to try out a 17 tooth pinion gear for starters. WHERE in the World can I get it? A 17 tooth 5mm belt Pinon gear.Do they even make them?

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: 1000 Watt Zappy Classic needs larger pinion Gear HELP!

Do you know Fetcher? He has a ZappyClassic with a powerful motor which he rides around San Francisco. The time I rode it, well, let's just say I know what you mean about being thrown.

A bigger gear would make the thing go faster because the wheel would be spinning at closer to motor speed. The revolutions-per-minute times the circumference of the wheel is what determines the speed.

Do you know about McMaster-Carr? http://mcmaster.com ... they're sure to have the sprocket you need.... They seem to have everything.

1000WattZappyClassic
Re: 1000 Watt Zappy Classic needs larger pinion Gear HELP!

Hey thanks for the Link. I did find gears 5mm pitch 15mm wide but the smallest tooth size is 32 tooth. I think that would be gearing it too high. Also the bore size is 1/2" which is also too big.

That web site does have alot of things but they don't have the gear I need. Thanks though.

Also how many watts is the motor that Fetcher has on his Zappy Classic?

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage