Noob here I need ideas? (ev sportbiker wanabe warning)

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
TomNY
Noob here I need ideas? (ev sportbiker wanabe warning)

Hello everyone,

I don't know how to collect my thoughts? But I need help I would like to convert a sport bike like a Yamaha fJ1100, R6 or cbr? But I kind of don't care about range? (15m with a fast charger would be cool?) I care about more of the performance of it? I don't have a clue about what to use for motor battery combo? I am thinking of a >72 volt version of the "Amplux High performance electric motorcycle" Any info you guys have I'm all ears. Anybody here a amp sucking pavment ripping corner vultures like my self? I have searched evalbum but I don't really have any data to benchmark ideas from?? Thanks in advance -Tom

antiscab
Re: Noob here I need ideas? (ev sportbiker wanabe warning)

GDay Tom,

for big performance, expect to pay big $$.
in a sports bike, ur fairly limited as far as adding weight goes.
so that means light weight motors, expensive high rate lithiums and so on.

I was once considering using a azure AC24LS motor and DMOC445 controller for 70kw@8000rpm, but that would weigh 55kg, leaving maybe 40kg for batteries.
if using LifeBatts that would get maybe 10AH 288v, max power 120A*240v=29kw.

so had to scrap that idea.
basically need to find a motor and controller combination that makes 40kw+ and weighs less than 30kg.

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

TomNY

Matt,
Thank you for your reply, I guess its safe to assume that lithium is the only way to go? On you tube
I found todd kollins's lightning lithium r1 conversiton 100mph top speed and 50mile range(?) I'll keep searching and learning -tom

antiscab

Gday Tom,

yes lithium is the only way to go, and not just any lithium, the high power lithium such as lifebatt a123 or any other high power variety.

high top speed (100mph?) doesnt need a huge amount of power (40-50kw?).
high range needs lots of lithium.

to get sports bike performance, you would really need 100kg of lithium (240v 30AH) to get both range and pwoer requirements.
this is a problem, because not many sport bikes have a drietrain weight of 140-150kg.

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

racermike39
racermike39's picture

Hey Tom.

I built a Honda CBR 600 F3. I used the D&D ES15-A motor, 500 Amp controller, and 75 Ah SLA batteries.

Because of the battery size and weight, I am limited to 72 Volts. That makes my top speed 60 MPH. But my 0-45 MPH performance is excellent. I like the 30 mile range the 75 Ah batteries give, but if I went to 55 Ah batteries I could up the voltage to 96 volts, and my top speed would be near 80 MPH.

I used the D&D motor instead of the E-tek because the amps required to move a heavy bike faster than 45 MPH is right on the threshold of the E-tek. The D&D motor is heavier, but it is bullet proof as long as the motor RPM stays under 5000.

I have been watching the LiFePo batteries come down in price. And more high rate (3C+) battery manufacturures are popping up every week. So when the high rate 100 Ah LiFePo packs are available and some good data is available, I will upgrade to a 96 volt 100 Ah LiFePo pack.
I will double my range and loose 100 lbs in the process.

My blog here on this forumn has a bunch of pictures and my bike is on the EVALBUM:
http://www.evalbum.com/2190

Other options are AC drives and motors for high RPM. But the pack voltage needs to be very high, and AC drive systems are still very expensive compared to DC drive systems.

Frodus here on Visforvoltage has a high voltage Honda VFR 600 that is an excellent example of a high voltage DC system. Many others also. search the blogs on this site for motorcycles and read what they have posted. You will get quite an education from their knowledge and experience.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Mike.

Racermike
5 years ago I met Jesus and he total ruined my life. I have never been happier.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage