2009 Veken Hybrids - significant upgrades!

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
HomelessOnWheels
HomelessOnWheels's picture
2009 Veken Hybrids - significant upgrades!

(Hi. I've been reading these forums on and off for some time, but finally registered so I could post.)

I find the idea of a hybrid scooter very appealing as it gives the opportunity for all-electric operation for short rides, while having the ICE for longer trips and so as not to get stranded with a dead battery. THe Veken seemed like it might be a good choice, but I'd been having little luck finding much info on it. So... I decided to call them an see what I could learn about their new 2009 models, and here is what I have learned.

The current 50cc model will be upgraded (from 36v 500w) to a 48-volt 800-watt motor capable of up to 30MPH on electric power alone. Top speed (gas or hybrid mode) will be 40MPH

They will also be introducing a 150cc model with 60-volt electrics capable of 65MPH speeds, "suitable for highway use" (their words).

Both models will have regenerative braking.

I was told the website should be updated with the new info soon, possibly this week. The 2009 50CC/48V bikes should be shipping next month. The 150cc/60v bikes are still in testing phase and they hope to have them ready in three months.

I'm debating if I should get one of the new 50cc models or wait for the bigger one to come out. The prospect of a reasonably priced hybrid that can do over 40 is pretty enticing, but OTOH, the fuel economy is likely to be less than the smaller bike's 200+MPG. Plus, I dunno about the bigger one (details still a bit sketchy) but the small one has an on-board AC mains charger, so if you have where to plug it in and only take short trips, it has the advantage of being able to be used exclusively in electric mode, with the ICE there just for "emergency" use if you run the battery down or the occasional long ride.

HomelessOnWheels
Re: 2009 Veken Hybrids - significant upgrades!

I just visited their website ( www.vekenscooters.com ) tonight and they now mention the 2009 model on the front page, describing it as having 48v 800watt motor and available now.

Unfortunately, the online details and PDF brochure are still of the 2008 version.

I'll keep checking, and may make another phone call tomorrow. I'll post anything I learn here, and if anyone else learns anything, please post. Thanks!

rgx

They have started selling them in Sweden too now, 2008 model still though (36V/500W). I like it.

HomelessOnWheels

I haven't even gotten to see the 2008's in person, let alone the 2009's. How did you find the build quality? Were you able to ride one, and if so, how was the performance compared to, say, all-electrics in its class and/or compared to 50cc gas scooters? I'm guessing the electric motor will give it the low-end tourque that a tiny gasoline engine doesn't have, making it quicker off the line than a comparable gas scooter. Plus, for low-speed local riding, one can ride in all-electric mode. I'm not sure if I want to believe their claim of 40-50 mile range for electric-only mode, though.

New brochure (pdf) is at http://www.vekenscooters.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/veken%20hybrid%20brochure%20%7B8%201-2%20x%2011%7D.pdf

Specs and some closeup photos at http://www.vekenscooters.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=28

More closeups at http://www.vekenscooters.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VK-M50-YEL

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

I have looked at the specification on this bike and I have to say I am NOT impressed!!!! 39 mpg !!!! I have a car that gets 38 mpg on the highway, and it has a heater for winter and air conditioning for summer. I think they need to go back to the drawing board with this bike. And a 500 watt electric motor is smaller than the motor on one of my bicycles. I have to ask "Is this a joke?"

This is my personal opinion and does not reflect any views for VisforVoltage.
Grandpa Chas S.

warranty dude

It's meant to be a "motorized bike (bike-lane scooter) that can go 220 miles on a tank of gas and a charge!@!

One of my scooters is a 48v Kaishan I got from Canada and it has a range of 40 miles in "boost mode" (28mph) and 60 miles in "econ-mode" (18mph). The Hybrid VK-M50 looks like a great little motorized "bike".

What do you want Grandpa? Teleportation?

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage