phoenix brute advice

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
rab1
phoenix brute advice

im wanting to convert a bike for hunting use.i will use it on closed/gated log roads.some hilly,some flat.distance will be 1 to 3 miles one way.i will use it maybe 20 times yearly during the winter,then it will sit in my garage until the following year.i would like to pull a lightweight aluminum trailer with 60-70 pounds of gear sometimes.will the brute be what i need?what type of battery will be best for infrequent use?im willing to spend money for decent batteries,if they would last for years.any and all advice would be appreciated.thanks

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: phoenix brute advice

I have a number of links here about bicycle cargo trailers: http://www.7gen.com/website-categories/bicycle-cargo-trailer

I recently bought a Phoenix hub motor but haven't installed it yet. However the reputation of these motors is excellent and I know a person near me who has specialized in Heinzmann hub motors for years and recently started using Crystalyte (they make the Phoenix motor) because he wanted to climb mountains. The distance you're discussing is not very far but I suppose the amount of gear makes the bicycle worthwhile.

For batteries .. Lithium batteries tend to withstand being left partially charged for a long time. With the usage you suggest the battery pack is going to stay partially discharged for several months and lead acid batteries are known to be damaged if left partially discharged. However there are quite a lot of questions over which specific lithium battery maker provides good quality packs which actually perform at the level required for a higher powered motor like the Brute. On the other hand many lead-acid batteries are known to handle that power level such as the B&B batteries.

I'll be receiving a pack from Headway soon and pairing that with the motor I recently bought. I'll be posting about my experience on that combination as I learn more.

Someone from YESA did post here a couple days ago with a product announcement, and if their battery lives up to the specs it is a good choice.

rab1
Re: phoenix brute advice

thanks for the reply.keep us posted about your phoenix motor.its about the only one i thought would pull a trailer without much pedaling.i dont know if a 36v 0r 48v would be best.i could leave the charger plugged in during periods of non-use,but with sla batteries,in my limited experience,do better when used regularly.thanks

rboyd

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage