Could this be caused by the cold?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
undead
Could this be caused by the cold?

Was at the gym earlier about 18:45ish, outside temp was about 1-2c outside.

Got on the motorway (highway) with half range left, doing 50mph range happily sitting at 12 miles remaining and about 7-8 bars left.

As I come off the highway a mile later, all of a sudden it drops to 4 bars remaining and 3 miles left! No loss in power but I still had just over 4 miles to get home, of which I thought I had plenty.

So once I got on the main road off the motorway for the last 4 miles (Wide 40MPH limit), I purposefully rode at 25mph all the way hoping that I would not be in for a long heavy walk... All was fine and it held speed (didnt dare push it in case it killed what I had remaining)

When I was almost home, I then openend up the throttle, and the bike still pulled fine up to about 50MPH!!! It was starting to limp mode but bearing in mind that the range was 0 and the battery was showing less than one bar, I thought this was odd as the new firmware was supposed to prevent this kind of behavior?

I ran it down to red battery indicator two weeks ago, so I guess this is what they mean by needing to sync it every week or so

Has anyone else had a sudden midrange drop (not 4 bars to zero) on the new firmware?

tom5007
Re: Could this be caused by the cold?

Was at the gym earlier about 18:45ish, outside temp was about 1-2c outside.

Got on the motorway (highway) with half range left, doing 50mph range happily sitting at 12 miles remaining and about 7-8 bars left.

As I come off the highway a mile later, all of a sudden it drops to 4 bars remaining and 3 miles left! No loss in power but I still had just over 4 miles to get home, of which I thought I had plenty.

So once I got on the main road off the motorway for the last 4 miles (Wide 40MPH limit), I purposefully rode at 25mph all the way hoping that I would not be in for a long heavy walk... All was fine and it held speed (didnt dare push it in case it killed what I had remaining)

When I was almost home, I then openend up the throttle, and the bike still pulled fine up to about 50MPH!!! It was starting to limp mode but bearing in mind that the range was 0 and the battery was showing less than one bar, I thought this was odd as the new firmware was supposed to prevent this kind of behavior?

I ran it down to red battery indicator two weeks ago, so I guess this is what they mean by needing to sync it every week or so

Has anyone else had a sudden midrange drop (not 4 bars to zero) on the new firmware?
------------

I think the behaviour you are describing is down to very cold batteries (and the new firmwre). On motorways the voltage seem to drop fairly quick to a level that triggers the red batt light. I experienced this behaviour many times on motorways at similar exterior temps. At he moment I went off the motorway the 0 miles range seem to hold a very long time. Much longer than I was used to when it was warmer out side. I think the new firmware is a little to carefull when it comes down to judging range at freezinng temperatures. Or to say it differenty, at freezing temperatures the voltage of 127-129 volts seem to be stable for a longer range.

I guess the tricky part of estimating battery range for very cold batteries is to actually assess a moving target :-)

What I mean is the battery temperature initially at about 2celsius will at the end of your journey very quickly heat up to ~16celsius. This increase of temperature again is positive with regards to the amount of power you can drain from this battery (increased range). Maybe this is what the range-o-meter is confused by.

So far I went quite well with following approach. Bike is fully charged Batt's are cold ~2celsisus. Start bike range-o-meter is ~44miles. Run the bike for about 10 miles. The range which is then shown ~25miles) will be very bear to the total range you can ride (with near to crawl mode and red light for the last 4 miles).

Norman

undead

Yep just did it again, this time with 3 bars remaining, 6 miles to 2 miles and battery light on - temp outside is about -3c. These things REALLY dont like the cold do they ;)

tom5007

Yep just did it again, this time with 3 bars remaining, 6 miles to 2 miles and battery light on - temp outside is about -3c. These things REALLY dont like the cold do they ;)

For me it was far too cold today. Spent about ten minutes on the bike and the almost needed open fire to release me from the seat. Hope we soon move away from these sub-zero temperatures. Take care riding in the ice!!

Norman

kevin smith
kevin smith's picture

hi you've got to be kidding man cos ave had loads of scooter in the past and in cold wether its been freezing but i thought that going on the vectrix was like been in front of an open flame fire . and no!!! its not on fire with all the hype .
as thought to do with heat .!! becouse of the riding style i/e good support no aces and pains associated with little 50 cc scooters sat back like been in a shackeltons high seat and the feet up . and that big wind sheld this is the life i thought
what have i been missing all these years. am i just hardy now i don't no any how the total milage bring me back to reality with a bang BIG 30 miles now wears that extension lead .. have fun kev

raytheham
raytheham's picture

Hey Kevin, this is off topic but you mention Shackletons....I have 2000 hours in them as a siggy b4 I became a pilot. Was on 210 at Ballykelly. Been on Hercs for most of the rest, over 12000 hours.
Regards
Ray

Ray

kevin smith
kevin smith's picture

hi ray i was havang a laugh the saying goes shakeltons seats there lovley this is the old person hight seat .. well i have one at side of me for real i bought
it for the mother in-law ok well i have used a few times its comfey ..
the vectrix seat is just a dream if any thing it could do with been a little bit narrow an inch as i am only 5 foot 8" my tiptoes do
reach the floor the suspention is so smooth comperd to the small scoots i/e 50cc type the seating poisition is great feet forward
yeh nice carn't wait to pass my bike test buisy lurning my thery at the moment
ave just been to the bike test centure to ask them about i wan't to pass on my vectrix they said should nt be a probblem will let me no monday/tuesday..
then soon as i get my scooter back for all the faults to get fixed hoppfully get more miles than 31 miles then i can take my partner to the shops shoure she.will be happy????

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage