Building an electric trike

1 post / 0 new
dposten
Building an electric trike

I live in an area that has a lot of snow during the winter, and since I have an adversion to falling on my bike because of ice as I go to the grocery store I decided to build an electric trike since I am 74 and also have an adversion to doing much peddling. At first I put all controls and batteries in the basket. I used an ecrazyman controller that I got on Ebay and a Wilderness Energy hub motor and wheel that I got from a dealer going out of business.
It worked as long as we had fair weather, but when the snow fell that motor did not have enough torque to get me through the small drifts. Not only that, but the rear end made the front too light on the turns so I bought a small rack on Ebay and installed all batteries on the front end. Well, that was just too much of a good thing so I succeeded in putting two batteries in the basket and one on the front rack. I purchased a EV Global LE bike just for spare parts, and took the freewheel off of the Heinzmann and modified the front fork by cutting it apart and have a friend wire weld it back together so the motor would fit. The front fork is now at 120 MM instead of 100 MM. Now I know with that Heinzmann no snow drifts are going to stop me.
These so-called motors China sells are little more than washmachine motors that the shaft is stationary and the winding spin. If you suceeded in tearing a Heinzmann apart you would find that inside it there in a geartrain. It has it faults tho you just do not want to put too much power to it or you will break a tiny weld.
dposten

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage