Throttle on cheap brushless controller seems to only offer on/off positions

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
khammo01
Throttle on cheap brushless controller seems to only offer on/off positions

Hello -
I have a cheap brushless motor & throttle kit, sold as a 24v 250w kit, which I upgraded to 36v thanks to the wisdom of Grandpa. There are no name brands on anything. Everything works great but the throttle seems to only be binary - all on or all off, even though it has a rotating throttle. The problem is I can't control the speed well. it's either all on or all off.

It has a pedal sensor as well, which runs the motor at half power until the controller detects the motor has reached 10km/h (probably actually based on a target RPM). After 10km/h, it provides 100% power assist, which is really more than I need for a dense urban environment (I'm in Japan).

I can't easily take apart the controller because the mosfets are glued to the inside of it for heat sinking.

Would another controller give me better variable control? Or, is there another way I can limit the pedal assist?

I need to have the pedal assist to remain legal in Japan. If a cop sees me barreling down the road at 30km/h without pedaling, I might get stopped.

One potential solution I'm aware of is a Cycletron(?) controller paired with a Cycle Analyst, which I understand can be used to limit the maximum speed or current draw. I can't wire it to my current controller because I'm not sure if I can get it open without destroying it. Are there any other low-cost options?

Thanks,

khammo01
Re: Throttle on cheap brushless controller seems to only ...

Many of the commercial bikes here have a toggle switch to enable switching between "power mode" and "eco mode" - this eco mode would be great for operating in crowded areas where full power would be dangerous. Is there an easy way I can reduce the voltage-on-demand achieve a similar functionality? I could run at 24v until I get away from the crowded station area, then I could open switch back to full 36v voltage.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage