Need Help. Which scooter is right for me?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
jayh1313
Need Help. Which scooter is right for me?

Hi everyboody,
I've been lurking on this message board for a while now and I've learned lots from you guys.
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a decision.

I'm going to buy a scooter pretty soon and I was trying to decide between the following two scooters.

1500 watt scooter

600 watt scooter

About my needs:
I'm 6' and about 180 lbs. My commute to work is about 2 miles each way and I would only be riding about 3 or 4 miles from my place at other times. There are some slight hills around (1 pretty steep one) and a some streets that have a speed limit of 35 mph. I can probably use back streets to avoid those if I had to.

What's the differences in the two motors as far as watts go?
Are the speed and range claims on the web site a generally true for 600 and 1500 watt scooters?
Also, what am I looking at as far as hill climbing ability for each?
Can modifications be done, such as a battery upgrades (LiFePO4), or others, to these?

I guess what I basically need to know is if the 600 watt scooter would be enough for me or should I go with the 1500 watt scooter.

Thanks so much for you time.

dogman
dogman's picture
Re: Need Help. Which scooter is right for me?

The 600 watt scooter is not going to climb a long steep hill as well. The 1500 watt scooter should zoom up everything but extreme hills. I have a 600 watt bike, and to get up a steep hill I have to pedal like mad or it will just stop. Gearing differences may make this less of a problem with a scooter. On my bike, the 26" wheel makes a tall gear ratio, where scooters with a small wheel have an advantage. You may plan on only short trips, but after you get hooked, you will find yourself going further than you thought, so the 1500 watt might be better for that too.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

win32forth
win32forth's picture
Re: Need Help. Which scooter is right for me?

I pretty much agree with dogman, if you can afford the difference in price (and the cost of registration and insurance), then a 1500 watt scooter will be much more generally useful, and mighty go as fast as 35 mph. I have an XB-600 (electric bicycle), that has been maxed out to 60 volts and the shunt mod, and it would probably work for you (it will go about 25 mph), but in stock form, you probably wouldn't be happy.

Be sure to check with your states registration requirements before buying anything, to make sure you can register it. Or, you may live in a state that doesn't require registering a 1500 watt scooter, if so, then so much the better.

By the way, here is a link to a bicycle speed calculator that might help you;

http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

Good luck with your choice,

Tom

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Persival
  • boomingheight
  • janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57