Winter Shield

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
HarryS
Winter Shield

Has anyone tried the new larger winter shield? Does it cut down on the wind noise? Is it available yet? How much does it cost?

antwilkinson
Re: Winter Shield

Hi Harry,
I've got the larger winter shield. It is wider but the same hight as original. I am happy with the larger screen, it does provide more protection but I still have some wind noise from my helmet. Some pictures via this thread.
http://visforvoltage.org/forum/5487-how-do-you-keep-your-hands-warm

HarryS

surprisingly, their dsecription states that it should be 5 inches longer. Here are the dimensions:

Standard: 23" high, 19" wide
Winter: 28" high, 25" wide
So I was hoping it would be high enough.

antwilkinson

Took some measurements of winter screen, 73cm top to bottom, 61cm widest point, 38cm mid-width point, 33cm width at top.
hope that helps

HarryS

Do you have the same windnoise problem that I and other reported? I am 180cm or 5'11" tall and the wind hits right on the visor of my 3/4 helmet. I need to deflect it up just a bit more. Did you ever use the standard screen and give us a comparison?

RaDy
RaDy's picture

I still dont have my bike, i will get it in a day or so, but i have used the trial one a few times, for whole days even, and i have encountered the problem with the windshield.
Now, i was thinking that there are two possible ways to fix the problem. You can buy the winter windshield when its available or you can buy the new lower seat!! That will aslo help with the wind, Maybe you can do both if someone is even taller.
I think that they have adressed abit of this problem in the 2009 model because the seat is different,I cant comfirm it is lower but definately its not the same.

antwilkinson

I'm 6'2", yes I had the same wind noise problem on original screen. The winter screen reduced wind noise by about a third, but it was still there. I then changed my open face helmet for a full face which made a big difference, by about half. There is still some wind noise but at reduced volume even at 60mph.
The winter screen cost £92.12+vat.

Hands0n

I have recently received my winter shield - it is certainly taller than the original and of course wider.

I notice that the wider shield at the bottom causes a bubble of still air around the handlebars which is great as it reduces the amount of windchill that hits the hands at any speed. The taller screen does shove the air eddy above my head (I'm 6'2" also) which works really well with a full face helmet.

All in all, it is a good buy but come Spring it will be retired in favour of the standard wind shield until next winter.

arloguay
arloguay's picture

Much improved, too bad delivery was delayed for a very cold month. The winter screen is a few inches taller, and definitely makes the ride more comfortable for me. I can easily crouch to eliminate all air noise for a listen to the bike, and love the reduced air blast on my hands.

Not sure whether I'll switch back when it warms up here, but I suspect that if the windscreen got dirty, (as the original one did in my dusty commute) visibility could be impacted. Very happy with it so far, paid US$160.

Arlo

Mik
Mik's picture

Does the larger windscreen have any noticeable effect on range or handling in strong wind?

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

arloguay
arloguay's picture

I didn't notice any downside in terms of handling, but also haven't had any serious gusts here since I upgraded. I'll report back if I notice anything along those lines.

I was wondering about range, and suspect it could be a wash: while you are displacing more air with the larger windshield, that air is pushed smoothly around the rider for the most part, and therefore doesn't create nearly as much drag.

Cheers,

Arlo

HarryS

img026.jpgimg025.jpgI received my wintershield yesterday from the dealer in Atlanta. ~$160 plus shipping. Mounted it this morning it took her for a spin. Vast improvement in windnoise. The shield is exactely 5 inches taller. It also adds a little more handprotection albeit i would call that less significant. It reduced windnoise about 2/3rds for me to the point of being pleasant. Indeed, I rode for half the way with my face shield open and it was great. Being 180cm or just about 6", I can ride with sunglasses without shield just fine. I am attaching pictures. The first picture shows the old screen taped to the new one for comparison. The second shows the top with a meter.img027.jpg

Mik
Mik's picture

Great pictures, Harry, thanks for that!

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

HarryS

Here's a second update after a nice fun-ride today. I took the bike for a 32mile fun ride today in the nice weather with the new shield. Driving with the new windshield is a pleasure. Noise is much reduced and in fact when I open the face shield on my 3/4 helmet either partially or even completely the noise is even less. I rode the entire ride with the faceshield all the way up just wearing sunglasses. I was able to hear the motor even at higher speeds which I was not able to with the old shield.

The only thing that takes a bit of adjustment is that now the shield gets partially into your view. If you look straight ahead it’s not in the way, if you look about 20 yard in front of you or even closer you will look through the upper rim of the shield. Not a big deal as it is clear but a change. Its like looking through your windshield. I will probably leave the shield on year round.

Also, while only 3 inches to each side, and relatively small area, the extra width does create some sort of vortex to keep the air pretty much away from your hands. It’s not even as wide as the handlebar but it still works. Again definitively an improvement.

I did try to lift my head above the shield in a normal upright position. I would say that anyone who is up to 3 inches taller than I am should see the same benefit. I am 6'0 so I would say anyone up to 6'3' should probably see noticeable imrovements with the shield.

I did not notice any change in handling or range. It was pretty windy on my ride today but it did not change the handling of the bike. Also, I got back from a 32mile ride with 3bars left which is about the same I averaged on previous issues of the same ride.

last thing I might add is that I used the extra real estate to the left side to mount my TomTom to the windshield. It fits perefctly. See the enclsoed picture. I did secure it with a lanyard that I ran around the left screen attachment. So if the suction mount were to let go, the unit would e caught by the lanyard.
img031.jpg

moccasin
moccasin's picture

Your eyes will quickly get used to the shield line being in your site. Bugs the heck out of ya at first, but eventually your eyes learn to ignore it. (especially since your ears are getting a break BECAUSE of it! HAHA!! :-)

I'm thinking there's a new shield in my short term future! ;-) Thanks for the review!

Buzby
Buzby's picture

Doesn't the left handlebar hit the GPS when turning sharp right? This is why I had to opt for the mirror stalk mount as an alternative.

- Raymond

HarryS

not with the wider shield. I did have that problem with the regular shield.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage