Brake Levers???

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
darren79
darren79's picture
Brake Levers???

HI, I've been watching this forum for a few months, very useful info - finally decided to join!
I have a question about the Brake Levers and the electric switch inside them. First the background.
I have a scooter that seems to be similar to an XB-500, except that as it was design for the Aussie market it originally had a 200 watt 36 volt hub motor (I replaced with a 500 Watt 48 volt, now 60 volt), also the scooter has no 12 volt converter, so lights etc is designed for high voltage. However in going from 36 to 48 to 60 volts, the flasher/beeper 'blew', and the horn sounds sick.
Since installing the bigger motor, the brake light stopped working as did the engine cutout. The 200W motor controller had two wires for 'brake' - the new 500W controller only has one wire. I have found a couple of wires on the new controller that I can short to make the motor cutout. I have also traced the wiring for the rear brake light.
The weird thing is that I can't figure out what the switches inside the brake levers are supposed to do? Are they 'normally open' (NO) or 'normally closed' (NC) switches, or do they work in some other way?? I have put a multimeter on them and pulling the brake levers doesn't break the circuit, when the scooter ignition is 'on' they have a constant +60 volts across the wires whether the brakes are on or off??? Could the switch or contact have burnt out??

garygid
Re: Brake Levers???

If you are measuring with the kick stand down, it usually closes a n.o. switch to activate the motor-controller cut-off, just like the brake switches (also n.o.) do. So, it looks like the brake switches do nothing. Put the bike on a center-stand (with the kick-stand up) and measure again.

You probably had 36-volt lights that you blew out by putting the 60 volts on them.

If the controller expects to get 12v to inhibit operation, feeding in 60v might blow out the controller as well.

It appears that you need some competent help.

Cheers, Gary
XM-5000Li, wired for cell voltage measuring and logging.

darren79
darren79's picture
Re: Brake Levers???

Thanks, Hadn't thought of the stands - However, the side stand and centre stand have no effect on the motor - I can't see any switch or wiring going to either stand.

The motor came with a new 48 Volt controller, I have been running it on 60 volts for a couple of months (including summer heat) with no problems from the motor or controller.

Darren,
Perth, Western Australia
XB500 clone, eMAX (2006 model) under restoration.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage