VECTRIX LOWER SEAT

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
electric_boogie
electric_boogie's picture
VECTRIX LOWER SEAT

Hello there fellow Vectrix owners,

I am thinking of upgrading the new lower seat for my VX-1 model. Wanted to know if anyone has done this. If so do you have any before and after photos to share. Please feel free to share any thing difference you've noticed. Thank you.

Steven Lam

kb3jko
Re: VECTRIX LOWER SEAT

I am thinking of upgrading the new lower seat for my VX-1 model. Wanted to know if anyone has done this. If so do you have any before and after photos to share. Please feel free to share any thing difference you've noticed.

I'm very happy with the lower seat! I'm a tiny bit short for the regular seat (5'8"), and I find balancing the scooter when stopped more comfortable with the lowered seat. Additionally, by lowering my body 2", it has a tiny but still helpful effect on center of gravity and wind resistance. In theory this should minimally improve range, although I can't say that I've noticed a difference in that department (likely because temp is more of a factor, and it's been cold since I got the lowered seat). However, if I'm trying to maximize range on a higher speed run, it's slightly easier to tuck down behind the windshield.

Overall I find it more comfortable than the original stock seat, and for me, it was money well spent.

I don't have a picture handy, but the accessories catalog on-line shows a decent photo:
http://www.vectrix.com/pdf/products/download?file=2009_vectrix_accessories.pdf

If you really want to see another image, I can snap a photo of mine tomorrow, but I didn't take a "before" picture, and I'm not planning to re-install the original seat just for pictures.

kevin smith
kevin smith's picture

hi i am 5ft 8" beleve it or not this is the average hight for a man so presumably just befor production started the person who test rode the scooter i guess was 6ft tall ??
and what was the price of the seat?? thanks. by way the seat reast looks like after thought as it doesnt look molded propley to the rest of the seat . ??

electric_boogie
electric_boogie's picture

Thanks kb3jko. How much did you pay for this? Thanks again in advance.

Dump the Pump!

kb3jko

At the time I bought the seat (12/23/08), my local Vectrix dealer was having a sale on all accessories. This included my purchase of the seat, so my total came out to be $180.16 including tax. I'm not sure what they'd charge for it right now. I installed it myself, which was overall pretty easy, although I did manage to drop one screw in a challenging location and had to use a magnet to pull it out. But that was just my fumble-fingers and Murphy's law at work. Better to drop a screw than the bike.

I'm not sure what Kevin Smith means when he writes "the seat reast looks like after thought as it doesnt look molded propley to the rest of the seat". The backrest is part of the trunk lid, and is not replaced when changing to the lower seat. Here's a picture of my lowered seat, which I think looks/feels just fine:

Vectrix_Lower_Seat.jpg

There's a small gap between the lowered seat and the backrest (especially towards the sides), but if it was much more snug, I'd be concerned about it interfering with the latching of the trunk. I have no complaints about the new seat whatsoever. I think Vectrix would be smart to offer it as a substitution option on new scooters, rather than just as an accessory. The only reason that I'm keeping my original seat is for possible eventual resale of the scooter to someone taller than me. Though I suspect the Vectrix will remain in our family for a long time, and I'll have ended up storing the old seat for nothing.

kevin smith
kevin smith's picture

hi .no what i meant was it looked a little odd to me as there is space at each side of the rear lunber suport .
so doesnt lood as good fitting to the origanal seat .but i reall could do with seat been a little lower.
as. the origanal seat is really too wide not to mention on the thick side .
but was wundering if i was to take the seat apart and pull out the stapels and use our .
electric carving knife i am shure that i could carve a great seat whatch this space .??
before and after ..!!!! kev no dont ask me to eat it ...

moccasin
moccasin's picture

Shaving and sculpting the seat would be no problem at all, but you'll likely have to have a new cover made for it, as the original cover would have lots of sag if you narrowed or shaved the original foam.

R
R's picture

This lowered seat looks nice and more confortable than the original 2007, I'm gona try to buy it. Hope the VUK still have them in stock.

rewski

This lowered seat looks nice and more confortable than the original 2007, I'm gona try to buy it. Hope the VUK still have them in stock.

Looks like this place may have them:

http://www.bikersedge.net/eshopprod_cat_5480-59233_product_723412.Lower_Seat.htm

I am tempted to get the winter windshield (which looks like they also have in stock) for Denver winters so my hands stay out of the wind.

Adam

Adam - Denver, CO
2007 Vectrix VX-1 charged with the power of the sun = zero carbon footprint

R
R's picture

thanks for the link. I'll try to contact them.

clagros

Hi All,
I asked for the lower seat when I ordered the bike. The seller told me that I'll be fine with the standard seat.
The bike came with the regular seat - to high for me- so I told the seller to bring the low one.
It took 2 months, but it was replaced at no cost.
It looks good, the high is very well for me with an even lowest COG.
The only annoying think is that now the windshield border is over the eye's line, so I'm planning to change the windshield with the sport one (where can I order one?).
Thanks!
Claudio

myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture

That's the first time I've seen any Vectrix accessories for sale on a website. I'd like to get a few items, but it totals over $300 and that's without GB shipping or import duty!

Wildfire

I tried to order off of this website and another that seemed to sport the exact same layout and listings (but from a different state) but was told that this was a full listing of the parts they --could-- order from Vectrix, not what they had on hand. Given the current situation, it doesn't sound like parts fulfillment from Vectrix US would be likely..

Spaceangel

Does lowering seat help for a tall person? I had to raise my handle bar when I got my VX-1 home. It was very close to my body and touching my knees. It took me a while to figure out what screws to take out and or loosen. Please give URL or address to order custom seats for VX-1. I had not used bike in while and 39 miles remaining went up to 54 miles after I got home. Some how got free miles. I used Regen for braking now. It now says 64 miles remaining every ride after charging all the time every day. But a lower seat sure could make for better clearance for me.
Rusty

KB1UKU

R
R's picture

and 39 miles remaining went up to 54 miles after I got home. Some how got free miles

It is normal! Riding downhill requires very few energy and increases virtual range. Range depends on speed, acceleration, hills, etc. I manage to get over 900 km of range in a long downhill, but once I accelerate again, it goes down quickly. The display range shows only the virtual range you can get according to the current rate of battery discharge.

The spanish dealer will sell me the lower seat. In europe V is still in business.

R
R's picture

I've just finished installing my new lower seat.
Now my wife can also ride my vectrix!;-)
I feel it very confortable when stopping at traffic lights, Now "all feet long" touches perfectly the floor. Moreover, I feel better handling when riding on windy roads, maybe lower gravity center enchances handling... Sport shield now offers better wind protection. I'm really happy with the purchase.
P1110732-s (Custom).JPG
P1110735-s (Custom).JPG
The texture matches 100% 2007-2008 vectrix's seats.

RaDy
RaDy's picture

I was also planning in getting the lower seat, but now i have to comfirm that they have this spare part in the same texture "leather like" for the 2009 VX-1, maybe VUK could help me with this doubt, thanks in advance.
Raj

R
R's picture

I was also planning in getting the lower seat
Nice to know that you also liked how it feels.. Across les costes del garraf I could have managed to go faster, but my wife started to get a litle scared... I had to slow down! ;-) I'm planning to do a hard test today at tibidabo's roads.
AndY1
AndY1's picture

1. Does Sport Windshield reduce wind drag? I ask this, because if there is less windshield, than more of my body is making wind drag. Which wind drag is higher/lower? Body's or windshield's?
2. If I'm sitting lower (5 inches), does it also reduce wind drag as I do, now, get some wind buffeting in my helmet?

myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture

I just got around to fitting the optional lower seat that I purchased a few weeks ago.

Now I can rest my feet flat on the ground firmly, without having to stretch my legs too far, and it's easier to get on and off. It also makes the winter windshield a better riding option too.

It's finished in the same style as the later VX-1 models, so it doesn't match my 2008 (built late 2007), but to be honest, I quite like the contract between the 2 finishes. I can only assume that's the only style they produce now.

Being that bit lower, you do lose some of the comfy padding, but having being used to my other 2 wheeled ride (Burgman 400Z), I won't be going back to the higher seat any time soon.

I'm not sure if any aspects of the later models were reworked, but I did have some difficulty in fitting the seat. It was a very tight fit - almost as if the bolt holes were off by about a millimetre or so. But, with a bit of shunting, pushing and pulling I eventually managed to seat it correctly and bolt it down.

Jtlimo

Since Vectrix is out of business, does anyone know where I can purchase a lower seat?

R
R's picture

Vectrix Europe is on business.
Buy it from any Vectrix dealer in Europe.
For instance: http://www.goinggreen.es/es/contacto

MEroller
MEroller's picture

Just trying to get ths site to register this thread as "recent" :-)

My rides:
2017 Zero S ZF6.5 11kW, erider Thunder 5kW

israndy
israndy's picture

Any one have a regular seat to sell? The shop won't repair my split seem, they would replace it if they could

-Randy

israndy
israndy's picture

Double post, stupid software!

-Randy

R
R's picture

Hi randy. I have a regular spare seat, the one I replaced in 2009 with the lower seat. My vectrii are both 7 years old, they won't last for long, so there's no point in storing it. If you want it, it is yours. Send me an email to arrange details.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage