Thundersky LiFEPO batteries @ batteryspace

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
reikiman
reikiman's picture
Thundersky LiFEPO batteries @ batteryspace

BatterySpace.com is now carrying Thundersky LFP batteries.

It's a little difficult to find with their navigation system, but click on LiFePO cells and follow this breadcrumb trail: LiFePO4 Cells / Packs > LiFePO4 Rechargeable Single Cells (1C-15C Rate)

These are the Cell prices

• LFP Prismatic Module: 3.2V 40 Ah, 3C Rate (128 wh), CE/UN Approved Sale Price $96.95
  • LFP Prismatic Module: 3.2V 60 Ah, 3C Rate (192 wh), CE/UN Approved Sale Price $119.95
  • LFP Prismatic Module: 3.2V 160 Ah, 3C Rate (512 wh) CE/UN Approved Sale Price $329.00

There are chargers and a battery management system module with this description:

Great news! BatterySpace.com now offer Battery Management System (BMS-LC24) Li-Ion battery pack up to 88.8V (24 Li-Ion modules of 3.7V in series) with Max. 500A rate. BMS-LC24 is a state of the art battery management system for battery powers for EV, solar car, Robotics & etc.,

BMS-LC24 consists of one Master Module, coupled upto 24 individual Slave Modules. Each slave module control a 3.7V single cell or group of 3.7V of parallel lithium cells, with two 500A rated solid relays. The BMS-LC24 aggregates cell data and coordinates cell balancing. Outputs are provided to control solid relays to perform protection functions. All battery data is available via RS-232 in viewing format, making this BMS an excellent choice for logging and battery system development. By combining multi BMS-LC24, you can built and manage a Li-Ion battery pack for as high a voltage as you want.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Re: Thundersky LiFEPO batteries @ batteryspace

Youch! $799 for that BMS...

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

AndyH

Don't forget the U.S. distributor for TS - Elite Power Solutions http://elitepowersolutions.com/products/index.php

They were just featured in an EV World article for their Miata that drive 170+ miles on a charge. http://evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=1643

PJD
PJD's picture

Yeah, but like so many BMS's they contain too many features for our purposes. We don't need the shutoff relays nor many of the fancy monitoring and data communication functions.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Yeah, but like so many BMS's they contain too many features for our purposes. We don't need the shutoff relays nor many of the fancy monitoring and data communication functions.

Yup I think the Goodrun / Fetcher BMS is still the best option.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

AndyH

Wait until you start bending diode leads. ;) :)

I agree with you, John. And although the Thunder Sky charger doesn't want to work THRU the BMS once it really starts to shunt (more than about 1/2 to 2/3 of the cells are full), it works VERY well if the charger charges the pack directly and the BMS is left in-circuit to pull down the cells that start to climb above 3.7. It works very well and is much less expensive than anything else I've seen. (Bend, bend, drop. Bend, bend drop...lather, rinse, repeat...) ;)

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Wait until you start bending diode leads. ;) :)

(Bend, bend, drop. Bend, bend drop...lather, rinse, repeat...) ;)

Ah yes, but what if an EV manufacturer I know were to take the G / F design and (working with the blessing of G & F) make some tweaks to the BOM (and maybe the design?) and make a SMT version suitable for automotive use. Then ship off said design to a local electronics shop to produce them in mass? That EV manufacturer would also have to have prior experience in the automotive electronics field (maybe in data acquisition systems used on race cars?)

That might be cool, huh?

Now, I wonder who might take that approach on an up and coming bike to be launched this year (say, in June).

;)

p.s. we will make additional completed BMS's available to Gary for him to sell them via his tppacks.com site. It's great to be able to stand on his (and many others) shoulders - and in turn it's important to give back). So hopefully within the next 4 to 6 months folks won't have to be self-assembling these.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage