Strobing front LED for Vectrix?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
theBaron
Strobing front LED for Vectrix?

Hi All,

I'm after opinion from knowledgeable forum members as to whether the software on the Vectrix would support the front LED component of the headlight array to strobe when the headlight was illuminated?

I ask this question, as a recent TV advertising campaign for motorcyclist safety in our area has highlighted the fact that motorists quite often fail to see approaching motorcycles, even though their headlights are on (often with disasterous consequences).

Most new bicycle headlights are set to strobe & this has the effect of making them highly visible in low light conditions.

Obviously, a modification of this type would have to be released from the factory, but I did want to know if (a) anyone considers that this would be an improvement to the visibility of the bike to other motorists; (b) if it would be possible to achieve at all; & (c) if it would draw any more current from the battery if implemented?

Stephen

MikeB
Re: Strobing front LED for Vectrix?

For a motorcycle in the US, there is a federal law that covers headlight modulators. They have to modulate, not flash, which means they go from 100% to 17% power, not 100% to 0%. There is also a specific rate at which they can modulate, starting at 240 cycles per minute. And it has to be the headlight, not secondary lights. There is also a requirement for a light sensor to turn the modulation off when it gets dark. If you don't follow the law precisely, police may pull you over for 'impersonating an emergency vehicle.'

However, if you can meet all these requirements, it's absolutely a good plan. I've had a modulator installed on all my motorbikes, and they clearly attract attention. I've had a number of people comment to me about how effective they are at grabbing they eye, including a friend who was about to pull out into traffic ahead of me (but he noticed the headlight and paused). A modulator is probably the easiest and best safety modification you can do for your bike.

I think you shouldn't try modifying your LED, just insert a headlight modulator module into your wiring. They come with standard plugs for most headlights, so it's an easy modification, maybe 10 minutes tops. There are a number of companies that sell the modules, just type 'motorcycle headlight modulator' into google.

My electric vehicle: CuMoCo C130 scooter.

strawhistle

;) Here is an interesting page http://www.buchanan1.net/modulator.shtml LaTeR

thank GOD I wake up above ground !!!!

theBaron

While I think that the motorcycle headlight modulators look pretty special, I specifically intended my suggestion to apply to a factory-fitted/sanctioned modification that would cause the front LED to quickly strobe, purely to provide an extra visual cue to the "less" vigilant motorists out there.

I am guessing that most countries outside the USA would have some restrictions on the private use of headlight modulators (purely because they could be confused with emergency vehicles).

The LED definitely stands out as whiter/bluer colouring against the yellowish tint of the headlight, so adjusting this to strobe would catch the peripheral vision of other road users & may just prevent us from becoming unintended hood ornaments!

Stephen

Hands0n

I often "strobe" my headlight by double-tapping the headlight flasher switch when needing to attract the attention of motorists, usually while filtering in the commuter traffic. I find, generally, that the car driver will see the strobing much easier than simply giving several moderately short flashes. The pattern I find most effective is a sort of blip-blip-pause-blip-blip (if that makes sense). If the flash is too long they seem to miss it, equally if it is too short. Experimentation is often the best.

Using this method has become second nature now. If I need to announce my presence [officer] I'll use that method and it works quite well.

Any takers? :)

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage