Help with Blown Ping 48V charger

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Arno J. Wulfert
Help with Blown Ping 48V charger

ARG!!!!!

I just get my ebike back on the road with the new Cristylite 72V 20A Controller and now My battery charger falls off the workbench onto the concrete floor and now is DEAD...

Dogman and others what's a good choice (cheap would be good)to replace my Ping Lipo 4 48V charger? Have you got a place on line I can look at? The one that is broken indicates an output of 60V 2.0A. Does the Lipo 4 require a specific type of charger?

Your help is appreciated. Dogman, also you indicated I might be able to up the amps on my new Controller. Can you check my comments on my previous thread, "Success with new Cristylite controller....."

Cheers and thanks again,
Matt (ajw)

dogman
dogman's picture
Re: Help with Blown Ping 48V charger

If you have an sla 48v charger around the house it will work fine as long as your ping has no runt cell problems that keep it unbalanced. I went for 1000 miles on one last summer. The lifepo4 chargers are just sla chargers that put out a few more volts than sla. In my case my sla chargers put out 45 volts and the ping charger put out 46.5. The working voltage of my battey is 44v. So the plain ol sla charger is able to give a full charge. What it can't do without the extra voltage is trigger the bms to balance the battery. I haven't actually seen my bms balance my pack since the first week, but then, I haven't sat there watching for it. The cheapest thing for you do do is find the cheapest 48v sla charger on ebay and just use that. If you notice you are having a problem, then you could get a higher voltage charger.

What I did, is tweak a soneil charger to a higher voltage. Most chargers don't have adjustable pots inside to do that, but some soneils do. So I set my soneil from a we kit to 47v. I charge at night with that one, and at work I have a 4 amp charger that goes to 45.5v so every other charge is with a lower volt charger. I don't know exactly which 48v soneil model has the adjustable pot.

Order another charger from ping is an option. I understand he has a 5 amp charger avaliable now.

Batteryspace has lifepo4 chargers.

Rechargeablelithiumpower.com has one too

Did you even look inside the ping charger? Maybe it just has a loose wire from the input or output wires. I had to fix both of my chargers for that problem. Unfortunately chargers are delicate suckers. I have broken several before I started leaving one at work. Carrying them around wrecked em.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

Arno J. Wulfert

Hey Dogman & interested,

I did go back to Ping. The Ping charger is not the most heavy duty but the price is good.. I have a 48V 2amp charger on the way from China... The price was $37.00 plus $20.00 shipping. I'll try to be more careful with this one....

Problem = I road my bike with the Ping to put the charger on and verify it was not working. Now I have a Ping sitting without a full charge. It might be a week or two before I get the new charger. Will the battery be OK without being fully charged? I thought about hooking up my 36V LSA charger to get it up to at least 36 volts.
What to do???

Cheers,
Matt (ajw)

Arno J. Wulfert

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

These batteries are not like SLAs and don't mind being discharge for a while, as a matter of fact to store these batteries they should not be at full charge. However, If your controller is like so many others out there the key is NOT an Off - On switch but more of a disable switch and the controller continues to draw some power even with the key off. I would disconnect the battery to be sure there is nothing connected to cause the battery to discharge.

Grandpa Chas S.

dogman
dogman's picture

I agree, it doesn't matter as long as there is no ongoing drain on the battery. But it does point out how smart it is to have some kind of spare charger. I have three bikes, one a 24v and two 36v. I have three 36v chargers and two 24v chargers. Sometimes I have all four at the house running at once. The fifth one stays at work. On the weekend, I'll ride the bikes one after another. Just lurk around on ebay till somebody is selling regular sla chargers extra cheap. I spent less than $50 for a 36v and a 24v recently, but the 48v seem to never be that cheap.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging