Shutdown at speed

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
kevin smith
kevin smith's picture
Re: Shutdown at speed

hi no think you misunderstud me as i was explaning to someone what there probblems might be ????
as my vectrix running gr8 m8 i/e vectrix works perfect thanks kev.

Galago

I don't think it is a switch at all (unless it's the key switch itself losing contact). I think you either have a problem with the controller board or the soft/firmware. Properly running bikes do not behave that way, and you can't kill one just by twisting the throttle too much because the controller handles the demand anyway.

Your bike is under warranty. When they plug in the diagnostic computer, it will likely reveal a log file that shows the problem and the cause, and they will fix it. But if they tell you what it was, please come back and let us know!

I agree; however, dont rule out the throttle. From what I understand (and this is not much) the throttle is a proprietary piece of machinery, and that it is a type of magnetic pickup which, if not aligned properly, can cause weird problems. I have
not had the pleasure of disassembling the throttle yet.... Mr. Mik, have you?
so since our friend still has all the indicators on the dash (i.e. "GO") the
controller still thinks all is just fine. No throttle input = no acceleration
or regen braking.... of course could be just a loose wire/connection too....

Cheers!

Electrons are fun to play with, there are so many of them and they are so responsive!

Buzby
Buzby's picture

Yep - GO is still an option (on the speedo, at least)! When it happened again on Friday last, this time NOT on a motorway, just a standard dual carriageway, when it tripped I tried to restart killing the emergency switch instead of the key, but this alternative didn;t provide a work around, ONLY by turning the key off then back on re initialised the system to give forward morion again.

Vectrix has been emailled..... :(

- Raymond

Galago

Yep - GO is still an option (on the speedo, at least)! When it happened again on Friday last, this time NOT on a motorway, just a standard dual carriageway, when it tripped I tried to restart killing the emergency switch instead of the key, but this alternative didn;t provide a work around, ONLY by turning the key off then back on re initialised the system to give forward morion again.

Vectrix has been emailled..... :(

It appears that by having to reset the controller via the keyswitch - this
particular instance may be a safety feature in that if the controller sees
that the throttle input is lost (or even inconsistent with what it expects
to see) then it "locks out" any further input. Thus necessitating the
full reset/reboot to continue. ...and this would be to prevent a
"bad/faulty" input from unexpectedly/uncontrollably driving the
controller/motor to full speed.
Indeed an interesting problem you have there. Does the bike ever
lurch for surge forward when riding as if someone put the throttle
to full for a brief moment?

jethro

As all the major "brains" are connected it could be any of them ( ICM, Charger or M/C)

Buzby
Buzby's picture

Problem Solved!

I put a call into Vectrix UK on Monday, and an Email from their Service Manager on Tuesday saying a local dealer would be in touch, and as it happened a new dealer located just 60Kms from me sent an email to advise he'd be round the next day. And he was.

The first order of the day was upgrading the pre April 2008 firmware with the latest December 2008 version, and the February 'patch'. Once in place a check of the VX1 functions revealed that there was an issue with the throttle control, showing it was 6 off spec. Not a major problem but could be under the right circumstances, enough to cause a shutdown.

The cap was taken off the throttle, and the adjuster tweaked ro bring it back inro line. It was then locked into place with the allen key, and the throttle cap screwed back into place.

I tried the same route and there were NO shutdowns, and it is now back as good as new (or better, now I have the charging delay fix as part of the new firmware).

- Raymond

tom5007

Great to hear that your issue was solved by calibrating the throttle. This makes me more confident that in fact there is little that can go wrong with our vectrixes and many thing might be easy to fix. Have fun cruising the motorways now!

Norman

AndY1
AndY1's picture

I'm glad it's all sorted out now. You can now enjoy the full power of the Vectrix :-)

Galago

Problem Solved!

I put a call into Vectrix UK on Monday, and an Email from their Service Manager on Tuesday saying a local dealer would be in touch, and as it happened a new dealer located just 60Kms from me sent an email to advise he'd be round the next day. And he was.

The first order of the day was upgrading the pre April 2008 firmware with the latest December 2008 version, and the February 'patch'. Once in place a check of the VX1 functions revealed that there was an issue with the throttle control, showing it was 6 off spec. Not a major problem but could be under the right circumstances, enough to cause a shutdown.

The cap was taken off the throttle, and the adjuster tweaked ro bring it back inro line. It was then locked into place with the allen key, and the throttle cap screwed back into place.

I tried the same route and there were NO shutdowns, and it is now back as good as new (or better, now I have the charging delay fix as part of the new firmware).

YESS!!! Indeed.

Pages

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage