New conversion project:: 87 Honda Elite 80

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Slamzee
New conversion project:: 87 Honda Elite 80

Hello everyone - I'm new to all this, but I wanted to get some advice and share the details of my spring project. I have a 1987 Honda Elite Scooter, that I have decided to convert to EV for running around town.

I just order a Mars ME-0708 Motor, Kelly 300A Controller package from Cloud Electric, and started pulling the old motor out. Is this a good combination to start?

Next choices are batteries, and how to drive the rear wheel. It appears the engine and transmission are combined in this scooter, I think like Vespas from what I have read here.

Any ideas if it is better to split the engine/transmission and try to isolate and reuse the transmission half, or just go with a new transfer system, like chain and sprocket?

On the batteries, I read a lot of good reviews on the LiFePo4 batteries. Will a pack rated at 51.2V 10.4Ah (532Wh, 60A rate ) work for me? Or should I just go with SLA batteries?

Thanks in advance for any support, suggestions, or comments!

-Scott

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: New conversion project:: 87 Honda Elite 80

It appears you emailed me privately and I didn't respond. Sorry... Welcome to the site! I would have recommended you bring your questions to the public anyway.

I haven't finished my honda elite conversion -- too many projects lined up. However mine started out pre-converted and I'm just redoing the conversion, if I ever get done with the other projects.

The Elite is a small bike so I suspect that motor and controller will be fine. More than fine, it ought to be really fast.

Electric motors have several advantages over gas motors, one of which is the broader power range. The reason gas powered vehicles have transmissions is the narrow power range of the gas motor. You can cover a broad power range on an electric motor without requiring a transmission at all. However some people do use transmissions. If you feel you can separate the two it might be an interesting thing to try. However I'd suggest trying to fit the motor and transmission in at the same time to see if it will all fit.

Hm, the pack you mention seems small. What's your goal ?? A fun bike to ride around the neighborhood? Or a commute vehicle? Or do you want to take it drag racing?

If you're pulling 60A out of the pack that's maybe 10 minutes of runtime, and a completely depleted pack. Is that what you want?

Also what is the peak discharge rate of the pack? The controller you've ordered can draw a lot more than the 60A rate you quoted. Fortunately you can hook a computer to that controller and change the settings. But the pack you get has to be capable of supplying the power the controller requests. Will the LiFEPO4 pack do it? There are known SLA batteries that can...

Slamzee

Thanks Dave. My commute is only a mile, but I would like more range than 10 minutes. Seems SLA might be a better choice for my fun project, instead of the investment Lifepo4 is.

But I am having second thoughts on the motor. I see a couple nice Vespa conversions done using a EVT Hub motor., and a custom swing arm. Looks a lot cleaner from an installation point. With a hub motor, I'd have more room for batteries. I see people run those with 60V SLA systems and getting pretty good speed.

reikiman
reikiman's picture

custom swing arm

That's one of the issues with my project is ... I really want to remove the rear wheel and do something with it. However I've looked carefully and don't see a way to take the rear wheel off the swing arm. There must be a way -- how else is one to change the tire for example. But it's very unobvious. Do you know of any source of maintenance information on these bikes? Last time I yahoogled for it, there wasn't much to be found.

Hub motors are certainly very covenient. You might look at the ones Kelly Controls sells .. http://www.kellycontroller.com/

Slamzee

Have been using a parts store called bikebandit.com - they have exploded diagrams on the site and are very helpful. No login or account required.

I have also been searching other honda bike models for swing arms that might fit. The bike is in a storage building, so I won't be able to measure the existing setup until tomorrow.

I'll also be finishing pulling the engine and transmission tomorrow I hope, and I'll let you know what I find.

If I can find a swing arm the right size, I'll do the hub motor for sure.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage