New build, assistance needed

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
psimulus
New build, assistance needed

I am selling a 1998 Mustang base coupe. I hope to receive 2000-2500$ U.S. for it. My intention is to construct an electric vehicle that I can ride for some time as well as advertise the tech. I could then perhaps invest in tools and facilities to produce them on a larger scale. First vehicle would ideally be a scooter, 60mph or so top speed with as much range and longevity as possible. Integrated would be the battery management system and other technologies to improve efficiency. If enough was left over after these installations perhaps an lcd to list stats. Would anyone be willing to either trade the mustang for an equivalenty valued vehicle or assist in development once sold? Thank you. We can change the world for the better together :)

psimulus
Re: New build, assistance needed

I would like to use the kelly KEB72801 Kit. Beyond this, LFP batteries are desired. Can anyone direct me to where I may procure a frame, fiber glass or carbon body kit, shocks, etc. I would like it to appear similar to currently available options.

captainslug
captainslug's picture

Lithium batteries are expensive, and $2,500 is definitely not enough of a budget to build a vehicle from scratch to meet the kind of specifications you are talking about. A reliable lithium 48V 20ah pack is going to cost you between $800 and $1,200 depending on who you have make it and the quality level.
$2,500 enough money to convert a used car or motorcycle to a 48 to 72 volt sealed-lead-acid powered electric drive system. But for anything more complicated than that you will would need more capital.

Poke around craigslist and ebay for a good deal on a rolling chassis. Also read up on other similar projects at http://endless-sphere.com/forums/

dogman
dogman's picture

I agree, it can easily cost $2500 to put together a really nice electric bike, let alone a 60mph vehicle with a lithium battery. Think 5 grand for battery alone.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

psimulus

If the vehicle sells for 2,000$, I have for contract 2000 total in exchange for a scooter that is more advanced than the 700li. 700li upgraded perhaps? LEDs would be an affordable and efficient option, flashy 2. Tires on the 700li do not appear to be very safe, though I have not actually driven one. A switch mode would be convenient so that the option to be street legal exists. If not validated, I could switch it off. Insurance can add up. Why do many companies not offer custom builds as an option? Or do they? As much as I intend to upgrade and learn in the process, it seems more efficient to offer the option at the door, less shipping per bulk. Anyone who is able to complete the task and also deliver? Im interested in distribution as well.

captainslug
captainslug's picture

700li upgraded perhaps?

Honestly, the XB-700li is not any better than the XB-600. And in some areas it's actually worse because they skimped in places in order to make up for trying to fit the lithium batteries into it at a low price point. It doesn't have a DC-DC converter so the whole electrical system is 48 volts. Also the reduction in weight actually makes the handling somewhat worse, especially when the roads are wet.

If you want to try one, try the XB-600.
http://www.neoscooters.com/proddetail.asp?prod=X-Treme_XB-600

At minimum you will want to add a bike computer because the stock speedometer isn't even remotely accurate.
It's very easily upgraded to 60 volts, which will increase your top speed to 24mph. Upgrading to 72 volts will be more labor-intensive, but can be done and results in a top speed of roughly 29mph.

And yes the tires included with most of these models are garbage and should be replaced at the earliest opportunity. The tire size indicated by the manufacturer is often wrong, so you will need to measure to find compatible tire sizes.

The XB-700li and XB-600 both use 90/90-12" tires (or comparable metric equivalents). Replacing the stock tires improved road handling greatly.

Why do many companies not offer custom builds as an option?

"Custom" anything is going to require you to pay out the nose because of the labor costs of machining, assembly, and so forth.

The vast majority of what is available to us now as complete finished vehicles were never really intended for the North American market. They are made in China for use in Chinese cities, most of which have a separate lane for lower speed vehicles and bicycles.
The electric vehicles manufactured in the United States or Europe cost a minimum of 50% more because of labor costs. The Zero X for instance has a starting price of $7,000. To make something comparable that's "custom" would cost $10,000 or more.
See: http://www.evdrive.com/Emoto_project/moto_project.html

The Electric Motorsport GPR-S (which has the kind of specifications you're hoping for) is manufactured in Taiwan and will have a price tag of $8,000.

Right now it mostly boils down to the cost of the batteries, which are still very expensive. But if you're hoping to do any of this stuff at an affordable price you will have to be doing almost everything yourself. And you will have to set your goals at reasonable levels based on which tools and skills you have at your disposal.

The going rate for hiring a machinist to make a part for you is $80/hr and up. And you better be able to supply an accurate mechanical drawing, or that price is likely to double.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage