Please help me set up a bike for a cross country trip

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
mkauai
Please help me set up a bike for a cross country trip

Aloha,
Hi everyone,

I am planning a second cross country bike ride, and this time I want to do it with pedal assist (and promote e-bikes).

I have the bike and trailer. I need to find the correct kit and battery set-up.

My last trip I pulled about a 100 pounds of gear with me (don't ask-haha) so am not (that) afraid of running out of juice, but would rather be properly set up. I am planning on 60 mile days, but have already found one 80 mile stretch between towns.

This will be my first e-bike so will really appreciate any help you all can give. Speed is not as important as range. My last trip I averaged 10mph, anything above that is a bonus. 100 mile range would be ideal, but 80 seems necessary.

I see that Bionix is touted as the caddilac of e-bikes and Cyrstalyte seems to be the choice of the homebuilders. Cost is not as much an issue as reliability, but would still like to be as efficient as possible with money/etc.

Thanks

michael

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Please help me set up a bike for a cross country trip

In the back of my mind has been a thought to make a similar trip. One issue in mind is climbing the mountains, as there are some doozies between the east and west coasts. That climb on I-80 up to Donner Pass for example and then there are those long distances in Nevada.

Anyway.. my point is mountain climbing ability will require careful thought. I've heard Crystalyte will do it without overheating.

Would you be putting solar panels on the trailer?

mkauai

Hi Reikiman,

Yes, I know the mountains intimately... Actually found the Texas Hill Country more grueling and the eastern hills had steeper grades... I do have a portable solar panel I used for charging electronics on the last trip, (blogging in the desert), Don't know how well it will charge the bike batts, but depending on how much I may save by going with the eZee, I may get a better panel.

I just had a good conversation with a dealer who feels the eZee kit is reliable and cost effective. He referenced this ride:

http://flexopower.blogspot.com/2009/03/katima-to-cape-toughest-electric.html

The story does note an overheated controller on one of the bikes, so your point is re-inforced. I am routing to avoid the high passes.

I started out thinking I would go with Crytalyte but may go with the eZee, so now wonder if I make a thread in general discussion, or ??? (I mod on a very busy (political) board so am sensitive regarding my peers)

Thanks for your response. I hope to be able to provide reports on my experience, in exchange for being able to pick the brains of you experts.

Many mahalos

m

;)

spinningmagnets

If you are certain that you want a hub-motor set-up, I have been reading some very positive reports about the 9-Continents kit from ebikes.ca

I haven't ridden one, but because of the high pole-count, it can use a (hall) sensorless controller, which adds some amount of simplicity and reliability. Also the high pole count provides measurably improved efficiency, leading to more miles using the same battery pack, regardless of type.

If I remember correctly, I believe Chas (here at the V) got very good range (Non-hub, cylinder motor) by using a 3-speed hub as a motor transmission. 2 was for normal driving, 3 was higher speeds, and 1 was only for hill-climbing. I think he used a 24V 500W motor that he put 36V through, then selected the sprocket ratio.

By having a small 500W motor, it helped range (large motors draw bigger amps whether accelerating or cruising), and the 1st gear allowed steep hill-climbing without overheating, but shifted you to a slower speed.

ebikes.ca followed a cross-Canada e-bike trip, and there's probably useful info there on that. It has an interesting seat arrangement. Best of luck.

garygid

About a 2-month trip?
When do you plan to go?
Probably this summer, 2009?
What Start and End points?

I was hoping to have an Aptera 2e by then, and do a similar journey, although perhaps a bit faster. But, since it is not available yet, your "turtle" will likely beat the faster "bunny".
Unless ... I could talk Aptera into loaning me a pre-production model? (grin)

However, maybe I could join you on my XM-5000li e-scooter ... and pull a little trailer with gear?
At 25 mph (on the flat) it is "advertised" to have an 80-mile range. But, no pedals to extend the range ... but it might work.

Maybe bring a Honda "2000" generator along for charging "emergencies".
Just an idea.

Cheers, Gary
XM-5000Li, wired for cell voltage measuring and logging.

dogman
dogman's picture

See Epic topics in the general discussion of the Forum Endless sphere for Justins ride across canada. He found smaller motors burned up, so he used a crystalyte 5304 or 5305 for his trip. For range, and to power that motor at a rate the battery will tolerate, you will need two 20 ah lifepo4 batteries or more for 80 mile range. At slower speeds, you should be able to get about 60 miles, mabye more. You may be able to crawl that one day and make it. The rest of the trip 40 ah of 36v will take you far enough. Cost is going to be high, about $1200 for two 36v 20 ah lifepo4, and the motor another $600 or so.

I'm doing a similar thing, just across my state, and one spot I plan to cheat, and have a car help me. I have 36 ah of battery for about 45 mile range on hills. One stretch is 70 miles.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

garygid

For a bit more range, you might consider 11 or 12 of the 60 Ah ThunderSky (TS) LiFePO4 cells at about $120 and (I think) 5.5 lbs each.

Cheers, Gary
XM-5000Li, wired for cell voltage measuring and logging.

dogman
dogman's picture

Much easier to paralell a number of pingbatteries. You would need to charge em seperately, so with 3, 5 amps chargers from ping, 60 ah could be charged in about 5 hours or less. Vs 15 hours assuming you used a 5 amp charger. Bigger chargers than that start to get heavy to carry.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage