Just bought a used 2007 Vectrix

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
rewski
Just bought a used 2007 Vectrix

Quick question. I just purchased a used 2007 with only 260 miles on it, but according to the seller it has the original firmware on it. I know this may already be answered on various forum topics but, is there a way to check the current firmware without going to the dealer? Also, what are the risks/problems with not upgrading to the most current firmware? Also, are there any recalls for the 2007 that may or may not have been taken care of already on this bike? Thanks for all the advice.

undead
Re: Just bought a used 2007 Vectrix

With the ignition on and the bike ready to go, turn the engine killswitch off, and hold down the lefthand break lever.

If the speedo needle goes up AND you get a temperature reading on the left display, you have the new firmware.

If the speedo needle goes up and you get nothing changing in the lefthand display - you have the original firmware.

As for improvements, I believe the main improvements were to improve battery life, and range reliablilty.

moccasin
moccasin's picture

Have you tried to plate that bike yet? Last I heard, Colorado and Alabama were both refusing to accept the 07 VIN numbers because of a code discrepancy. I'm hoping maybe Colorado has calmed down about it, since you'll have little recourse unless you bought it from a dealer in Colorado. Best of luck with that.

As for the firmware, I thought I remembered that it was the RIGHT lever that moved the speedo on the original software, and the LEFT one on the new software, but at any rate, the new software gives you temperature and battery voltage information, along with the speedo needle movement.

Incidentally, that speedo needle movement is throttle calibration. If you do have new software, you also now have the ability to set delayed charging for the bike. If you need more info on the new software, here's a printout for the October '08 version.
http://www.moccsplace.com/vectrix/Oct_08_Software.pdf

Congratulations on the new-to-you Vectrix. If you're like many of us, you'll find yourself addicted to the bike in very short order!!! :-)

rewski

Re the registration in CO, I will for sure look into that. It would seem strange that you could not register the '07 given a local dealer still has one in stock for sale. I think I will give the dealer and DMV a call just to make sure, because this could be a real headache. Thanks for the '08 firmware spec sheet too.

Adam - Denver, CO
2007 Vectrix VX-1 charged with the power of the sun = zero carbon footprint

moccasin
moccasin's picture

If you have a dealer selling 07 models, then you're probably good to go, but you might need to check with him for advice before you try to tag her. Here's a link to a copy of Vectrix's Letter of Explanation on their early VIN number discrepancies, which has been used with success in some of the "iffy" states.

Didn't work for me here in Alabama, and my last conversation with Vectrix home office was that Colorado was dealing them fits too, but that may well have been resolved by now.

http://www.moccsplace.com/vectrix/VIN_Scheme.pdf

rewski

Well, I got some good news last week. The seller of the 07 was very eager to make the sale, so he called both Vectrix and CO DMV. I also called the dealer who had an 07 listed on their website...turns out they gave all the 07s back to Vectrix because of the VIN problem. Good news is that CO is going to title the bike after Vectrix produced another letter explaining the discrepancy. They went to the top of the chain in Title at DMV and I got it approved. Now i'm just waiting to receive the bike so I can title it. DMV actually informed me that this also happened with a Kia model car and all they needed was a letter from the manufacture stating the VIN issue and they would register it. They must have lightened their strings on this issue...at least in CO.

Adam - Denver, CO

moccasin
moccasin's picture

DMV actually informed me that this also happened with a Kia model car and all they needed was a letter from the manufacture stating the VIN issue and they would register it.

That IS good news!! And it also explains why Alabama still won't accept the 07 VINs....They still can't READ down here!! HAHA!!! :-)

rewski

Well, I got the 2007 Vectrix through the "temporary" registration in CO. Good for 60 days, so I could get the VIN verified since it was bought out of state. The clerk at DMV first asked our favorite question, "How many cc's is it?" right after I told her it was 100% electric. Anyway, I love the bike and the clerk said it would not be a problem to get it titled since I have the letter from Vectrix explaining the VIN problem. The bike has much more power than I anticipated and since we have our 3.52kw solar array on the house, this thing is "free" to run...unless of course something breaks and the warrantee is null. Plus I love the stares I get when I pass someone on the street.

Adam - Denver, CO

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Persival
  • boomingheight
  • janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57

Support V is for Voltage