Front Brake Motor-Cutoff Override

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
garygid
Front Brake Motor-Cutoff Override

I find it difficult to start up (going uphill) after stopping on a steeper slope, particularly if also turning cross-slope. With either brake on, the motor will not "push", and with both brakes off, one can too-easily start to roll backward dangerously.

So, I am considering adding an "FB Override" switch to use in this situation. With the switch "ON" (open), the front brake could be applied without shutting off the motor.

Then, a more controlled start could be made, more like coordinating the front brake and clutch on a ICE bike.

In addition, it would seem to be convenient to have the front brake on the left side, not the right. Then, one could better coordinate the front brake with the left hand while the right handles the already-rather-sensitive throttle.

Is there a good reason (or a law) to keep the front brake on the right grip?

The EV bike typically (always?) moves the rear brake from the foot to the left grip (to replace the clutch). Was that just a random choice?

So, I will also consider swapping the front and rear hydraulic lines in the handlebars, but that is mainly a nice convenience, but not an absolute necessity.

Thoughts Appreciated.

MikeB
Re: Front Brake Motor-Cutoff Override

John H can probably provide more specifics, but federal law does specify a standard position for motorcycle controls, which is front brake on the right handlebar, rear brake on the right foot. Scooters used to require an exemption from the law in order to use dual hand brakes, but the law was changed to recognize scooters a few years ago.

I'm not having the same difficulty that you are, and I do have several places in my regular drive where I stop on a uphill grade. I just release the left brake handle and twist the throttle at the same time. I leave my feet down until the bike starts to move, and from that point I'm good.

My electric vehicle: CuMoCo C130 scooter.

zarlor

I'm not sure I understand the problem. I have one section on my drive that has a stoplight on the rise of a levee, so not very steep, but a definite incline. All I do when stopped there is hold the rear brake (left brake) while applying some throttle. On a 3500Li I could even keep the throttle at full if I wanted, but halfway is usually plenty good for a decently smooth start uphill. At any rate, as soon as the left brake is let go the motor cutoff is switched off and the bike instantly starts moving. No delay between brake release and motor engage that way. I think it work pretty well, actually.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA

garygid

Maybe I need more practice.

The 5000 is heavy, the grade steep enough so one could not keep the bike from rolling backward with legs alone.

Maybe the 5000's controller is just a bit slower "kicking in", or I am too slow on the throttle after releasing both brakes?

It "feels" scarry and "out-of-control" ... specially when you have had a motor-overheat inhibit the motor (you get no warning that has happened) while waiting to start up!

However, I suspect it would not hurt the controller to defeat the brake motor-cutout as one started up in this situation, right?

Then, with the brakes "off" (not activating the motor-cutoff circuit), one would be able to see if the motor-overheat had activated the "brake" circuit.

Cheers, Gary
XM-5000Li, wired for cell voltage measuring and logging.

garygid

I will try that - having the throttle "on" some small amount before releasing the brake.

However, the 5000 has enough power (seems to, I have not tried it) to be able to raise the front wheel up off the ground (especially on a steep slope) and dump you right over backward if one applies too much throttle.

In fact, unless in the Econ-Mode, even just a little throttle can make the 5000 "leap" forward more than desired. Sometimes, startups are smooth, and other times unexpectedly abrupt. Maybe just my lack of skill, but the low-end throttle still seems overly sensitive to me.

Cheers, Gary
XM-5000Li, wired for cell voltage measuring and logging.

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

I agree it's counterintuitive to have the front brake on the right side on a two brake handle bike. At first I thought it was the other way around. It should be like a bicycle. The first thing I thought when you said front brake overide was...no put it on the left handle, right? So why not just leave it like it is and do a rear brake overide. What I do on a hill is release the front brake, keep the back brake on then release the back and simultaniously bring the throttle up. I haven't tried steep hills yet but I think experience might solve the problem.

2008 XM3500li Mods/Kelly KBL12251/84v 28cell 40AH pack/ Variable regen brake trigger on left brake handle/Givi/Cycle Analyst/Homemade BMS

KMX Typhoon Home build (recumbent pedelec) with two Astro Brushless 3220motors/twin castle Phoenix ICEHV 160/ Cycl

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage