Arg... Building owners won't let me plug-in anymore.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Infinite
Arg... Building owners won't let me plug-in anymore.

I finally got a note on my bike from the building engineer. He wanted to meet in person and when I met him today he said that I can't plug into the building anymore. The concern wasn't the power or paying for it. The issue was that the Vectrix was a fire hazard and the building is responsible if there was a garage fires.

So... for now it's back to the Prius which also sucks because the weather just got really nice for riding to work.

:(

myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture
Re: Arg... Building owners won't let me plug-in anymore.

I can't see how the Vectrix is any different to plugging in, for example, an iPod or mobile phone to recharge. Maybe he doesn't know enough about the Vectrix and thinks he is airing on the side of caution?

reikiman
reikiman's picture

I can't see how the Vectrix is any different to plugging in, for example, an iPod or mobile phone to recharge. Maybe he doesn't know enough about the Vectrix and thinks he is airing on the side of caution?

Um, there is a difference. First it takes a lot more power to recharge an EV than an iPod.. the iPod charger takes a couple watts while an EV charger could easily take 1000 watts, or more.

The Vectrix is a lot bigger, hence easier to trip over.

The Vectrix has to be parked outside to charge and depending on the layout of the apartment building there may not be a good appropriate place to park during charging. Especially if you end up running a power cord across a sidewalk.

And there have been fires while charging EV's. The infamous case I know of is during the era of the original EV1 design a small number of the EV1's caught fire while charging. I believe it was found to be a misdesign on GM's part.

moccasin
moccasin's picture

Man!! This 'Saving the Planet' thing is gett'n to be a real pain in the arse!!!!

Kind of makes ya just wanna go light up a barrel of oil, don't it?

AndY1
AndY1's picture

I wonder, what will building engineer's reply be in 5 years time, when electric cars will become common and everyone will want to have an electric plug in their underground garage parking spot.

Ask him about that... and if he replies the same, tell him to give you his answer in writing, because in 5 years time you will be waving his written reply in his face - in front of all the other tenants.

RaDy
RaDy's picture

Yes, and i am sure that any ICE vehicle parked there has the same possibility of causing a fire!

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Actually, rather than challenging him directly I'd suggest that you find out his boss's name and then write a polite letter to him and his boss. In that letter:

1) Praise the facility manager for doing a great job and let he and his boss know how much you appreciate him taking the time to let you know the situation and his attention to the job. Get him on your side.
2) Point out that there have been no reported fires because of faulty Vectrix charging (if that's indeed the case). Describe the safety features of your bike.
3) Provide power consumption statistics to show peak draw and the fact that your extension cable is up to the job
4) Point out that it would be great PR for the company that owns or leases the building to be able to support plug in vehicles - especially with the Volt and other plug-in hybrids coming. Tell them you'd be happy to sing their praises as an environmentally conscious place to work.
5) Ask very politely if they'd do you the big favor of re-considering their position.

You win a lot more "arguments" by getting everybody on the same side than by "beating up" the other guy.

BTW - this approach worked so well for me that when they redid the parking lot they actually put in 4 extra power points next to the cycle parking. It didn't cost them much compared to the rest of the work they were doing and they saw it as a worthwhile investment in employee goodwill and future possibilities.

Good luck.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

spinningmagnets

I agree, always try being nice first. It may not work, but its free, and if it doesn't work, you can move on to more aggressive tactics.

I would suggest you doing the legwork to find out directly from the building insurance company if they actually have any fire concerns, and also what could be done to appease those concerns.

I would also investigate if there might be any county (property tax), state, or federal incentives for allowing EV infrastructure. The owner may not even know if there are benfits. The manager may even be making up the concerns as a ruse. Best of luck!

turok
turok's picture

Awww man!

Amazing to find out, once more, that most people are only júst beginning to realize what damage we do (and have done)to our planet!
Most of us realize that there is a problem, but DOING something about it?? Nooooo, that's way too difficult! (or threatening their wealth or freedom?)
I understand there is a safety issue here, and the guy did what was expected from him by, probably, the owner(s) of the building.
And safety first, ok. But our safety in the long term, is easier to ignore. People are that way: they can plan, but not (very) long term.
1 outlet or Vectrix isn't going to save the world, ok, but I'm sure Infinite has bought the Vectrix for a good cause, probably around the same price we all did :-) , and I'd be outraged in his place!!! I am actually!
They could easely make a special outlet for you, and they should be proud of doing it.

Infinite, I'd be happy if I could help and support you in any way, even if it is by writing a supporting letter to the building owner(s), and I think we all should, it's just a piece of paper and a stamp! serious! would anyone do the same?

turok

"doing nothin = doing nothing wrong" is invalid when the subject is environment

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage