is my controller cutting out?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
mattchicken
is my controller cutting out?

hello again!.... i've got my bike working with throttle and controller but it intermittantly cuts to less than half speed.. I am suspicious that the controller is responsible (coz it's so cheap) is it doing this to stop the motor getting too hot or is the controller just dodgy?? would a controller with more amps be better (i've got 250W 30A controller) hmm problem still occurs when cold... what controller options are there for a 250W motor? can I use a 500W controller (as I hope to upgrade the motor at some point)? any ideas gratefully perused..

mattchicken
Re: is my controller cutting out?

er... also my throttle is second hand and doesn't completely close.......??

dogman
dogman's picture

Cheapest thing to try is a new throttle.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

mattchicken

thanks for your thoughts.. would i be able to test the theory by joining together throttle input wires to the controller, making it think it's at full throttle, then if the fault is still there it must be the controller right? it's a very Heath Robinson affair my bike but i gain enormous satisfaction from zooming around on it!

mattchicken

ok... i managed to short (and destroy) my throttle so it thinks it's on full but the motor still cuts down to half speed. it must be the controller that is responsible i think. so i am replacing both throttle and controller hoping for constant reliable power delivery. i am guessing that, as the controller seems so cheap and basic, it is some kind of safety valve/switch to save the motor. here's hoping the new controller has less of a step down or doesn't mind running at 30A for longer.... ho hum

mattchicken

ended up getting a new controller and throttle which seems to have sorted out the problem, now i just need more power!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage