news on the new rev-1

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
strawhistle
news on the new rev-1

I have not heard anything lately about the rev-1 How is it going ? any new news ? any pics ? what is your planed release date ?

MikeB
Re: news on the new rev-1

Ya know, I was just thinking we needed a REV-1 'anticipation' thread.

I've put down a reservation fee, and they are aiming for an early July release.

If you haven't looked at John's website lately, it's got some good info: http://evmfg.com/rev/ The website is a little out of date, especially about the Deluxe model (it's actually gonna be more deluxe than described), but it's good info.

My electric vehicle: CuMoCo C130 scooter.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Hi,

We've taken all our investors money and we're sending this from a desert island somewhere in the Caribbean...

OK, not really.

All is well in the REV-1 world - except it's no longer EVMFG and REV. We're re-branding ourselves as "Current Motor Company" - there were name clash issues with REV, and while we could have worked around them a lot of folks didn't really care for the REVolution name. So, "Current Motor Company" is in the process of being born. Unfortunately it's proving to be a problematic birth. Our website will look a LOT better than the one I threw together - the new site was supposed to be up and running by Wednesday of last week. That didn't happen and I was promised early this week. I just got an email at 7:14AM this morning saying it's further delayed. I'm not a happy camper.

I was specifically waiting for the new site to inform folks of our new name and give a news update to everyone. I guess I need to do the news update now anyway... So here goes:

A) We're renaming ourselves "Current Motor Company" and we have a fresh new look. Please don't read much more into the new name other than it's just plain better - specifically please know that there is absolutely no change in personnel or plans. We will leave the old web addresses and emails working for the foreseeable future. In fact we're still debating whether to treat "current" simply as a DBA of "evmfg" or to file an amendment to our company registration (it's a DBA at present).

B) Model-1 continues to progress well. We showed it off at the Plymouth Green Fair in Plymouth, Michigan on May 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Many tens of thousands attended the fair and our booth attracted a large amount of interest. We also showed off our potential design for a three-wheeler.

C) We don't yet have a name for Model-1 (aka REV-1). Current front runner is Viento (or is it Vento?). Feel free to send suggestions or lobby for a favorite.

D) As MikeB mentions the specs on our Deluxe model have changed. The original plan was for a 26 cell version because we hoped to use the same controller on all four models. However, the controller won't reliably handle more than 24 cells. So, we needed to upgrade to a much more expensive controller (50% more expensive) - because of this extra cost we decided it wasn't worth it just to add 2 more cells. So, being the folks we are, we added 6 more cells. Thus the specs of the Deluxe is now 30 x 60Ah cells. We're still working on this upgrade and we'll publish speed and range specs when we've confirmed them. Unfortunately those upgrades come at a cost and the Deluxe will now cost $7499.

E) Note that all four bikes (the economy, the city, the standard and the deluxe) will look identical. It is just the battery pack that is different. So, as for pictures you can check out what's at www.currentmotor.com (which currently shows the "old" EVMFG website).

F) We've decided on the following four colors: Red, Blue, Silver and Green. We're going to test market two different shades of green. Yellow got dropped from the mix because we needed to keep the numbers down for inventory management purposes.

G) We're still tracking for an early July shipping date for bikes. Inventory is being ordered and delivered over the next six weeks. Our mechanical design elements are undergoing finalization and will be produced locally.

H) We were holding off on a big sales and marketing push until we had the new website. Alas, I think I need to re-jig those plans...

Does that answer most folks' questions? If not, please don't hesitate to ask.

I'm sorry things are a little confusing with websites and names undergoing changes. Things are busy here in Ann Arbor and getting busier by the day. But it's a GOOD busy.

All the best - and happy riding now that spring is well and truly here!

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

smace

Any pictures from the Fair?
A three wheeler? Interesting. Any pictures or is the potentential design still a "paper" version?

MikeB

Ok, we may be diverging from the topic a bit, but I'd be rather interested to see John do an electric conversion of this vehicle: Xingyue enclosed trike

MikeB

So, being the folks we are, we added 6 more cells. Thus the specs of the Deluxe is now 30 x 60Ah cells.

30 cells. Think about that for a moment, people.

Now go read this: We're Doing Five Blades

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
So, being the folks we are, we added 6 more cells. Thus the specs of the Deluxe is now 30 x 60Ah cells.

30 cells. Think about that for a moment, people.

Now go read this: We're Doing Five Blades

Err, are you trying to tell me something? It was a hilarious read (folks offended by profanity might not want to read it) - but we're not playing that game. Honest!

WTF? You don't believe me? ;-)

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

MikeB

Yea, I'll wait until I see the list of candidate names for the REV-1, and 'Mach-5' is on the list.

Do you have any pics from the Plymouth Green Fair for us? I'd also like to see the three-wheel concept.

MikeB

Ok John, some direct questions for ya:

I'm assuming you've put together a 30-cell Deluxe model by now and started testing it. How are the performance numbers looking? Personally, the longer range and higher top speed aren't as interesting as the acceleration numbers. Do you have a 0-40mph or 0-50mph number yet, to compare with a Standard model? Or even, *gasp*, a 0-60 time?

Alternately, how much power do you think you can reliably push through the 5kW motor for a 10-second burst? For a 1-minute burst? What type of output limits are you going to set with the BCU, and how fast do those limits decay with time and heat build-up?

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Hi MikeB and others,

Don't have accel numbers for you yet - sorry. We're still working on upgrades to the motor - so don't want to "over promise and under deliver". Watch this space!

To answer your BCU question - it will all be driven off temperature. When we detect temp is too high (threshold 1) we'll limit power output, when we detect temp is dangerously high (threshold 2) we'll shut down (in a controlled fashion). The first stage is intended to warn the rider, the second stage is intended to protect the system. When the temperature drops below the thresholds (minus an extra margin to stop minor variations kicking in and out of reduced power modes) we'll re-enable full power. Actual times for heat-up and cool down will vary depending on environmental and usage conditions.

Things are going well - still targeting a July delivery.

BTW - we're now official, fully paid-up members of the Motorcycle Industry Council - http://www.mic.org

MikeB

Good to hear from you again, John, I was beginning to suspect you really had run off to a desert island somewhere. :)

I guess it's too early to know what kW level you'll select for your limits? I realize that the heating rate will depend a great deal on riding style and environment, but I'm trying to get a ballpark feel for how much juice you can run through the motor, and for how long, before the limits kick in.

In addition to the Motorcycle Industry Council, you might want to check out the Electric Drive Transportation Association - http://www.electricdrive.org/

MikeB

2 weeks to go, theoretically...

Time for an update, John? I gather a shipment of batteries has arrived, other parts coming in now too?

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage