Charging with extra battery

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mystify
Charging with extra battery

I am thinking of adding a 5th battery to my xb500. Lots of good guides and tons of reading materials for installation and all that, but I am concerned about something.

They usually say, unplug the 5th battery when charging and to charge it separately. My question is, why? I know that it will probably confuse the bikes charger, but in what way, what would actually happen?

Is there a way that you could setup the 5th battery and still use a single charger?

dp
Re: Charging with extra battery

A 48 volt charger will shut off before it charges a 60 volt battery pack

If you want to use a single charger you need to buy a 60 volt charger, not the 48 volt model that comes with the bike.

Mystify

so if I bought and installed a second sla battery, the same that already in it, and then purchased a 60V charger, that'll work. Cool. But I was told that SLA batteries need special stuff in order to charge... so is that true, will any 60v charger work, or do I need something special?

Cheers
Dave

eRick

I added an extra 12v battery to mine and purchased a 60v charger and it works great.
You can get into individual battery charging and all sorts of wiring projects, but I have a little over
1400 miles on my bike (like an xb-508 but in Canada) and I have no battery or charging problems yet.

sixpax2k9

so if I bought and installed a second sla battery, the same that already in it, and then purchased a 60V charger, that'll work. Cool. But I was told that SLA batteries need special stuff in order to charge... so is that true, will any 60v charger work, or do I need something special?

Without going too much into the specifics..... any charger made for SLA batteries will work.
Here is a link to a really nice 60V 3.0A charger that I use. Its nice because you can just use the stock plug to charge all 5 batteries.
http://tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=101156

You CAN use 2 separate chargers without disconnecting the batteries "IF" the chargers are "isolated".
If you dont know what that means and your chargers do NOT say isolated, then I would not chance it.
Incorrect charging can do anything from blowing a couple fuses in the bike to ruining one or both chargers as well as components on the bike.

SLA batteries are pretty much a standard highly used rechargeable battery. Li-ion are the ones that need more "special" stuff to charge.

Dave ; Tennessee
XB-600.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage