Daimler grabs Tesla stake in electric-car push

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
tom5007
Daimler grabs Tesla stake in electric-car push

There we are. At least some rumours about Daimler being interested in EV was true. Unfortunately they did not go for Vectrix but for stakes of TESLA.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-10244414-54.html

Norman

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Re: Daimler grabs Tesla stake in electric-car push

Fascinating - and a little scary as well. Anyone remember Stan Ovshinsky's deal with GM to produce NiMH batteries for electric cars? That didn't work out too well!

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

siai47

At least we did get the invention of the NiMH battery from Ovanic. And things went really well for Chevron/Texaco after grabbing the patent and suing everybody in sight to prevent the future manufacture and sale of large format NiMH batteries for electric vehicles. Heck, they even got 30 million dollars from Panasonic for infringing on their patent while they (Panasonic) fixed the p.o.s. design of the original Ovanic (now Cobsys - Chevron Ovanic battery systems). What more could Chevron ask for for their involvement in electric vehicles?

reikiman
reikiman's picture
jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

At least we did get the invention of the NiMH battery from Ovanic. And things went really well for Chevron/Texaco after grabbing the patent and suing everybody in sight to prevent the future manufacture and sale of large format NiMH batteries for electric vehicles. Heck, they even got 30 million dollars from Panasonic for infringing on their patent while they (Panasonic) fixed the p.o.s. design of the original Ovanic (now Cobsys - Chevron Ovanic battery systems). What more could Chevron ask for for their involvement in electric vehicles?

Err, Panasonic's "p.o.s. design" worked pretty darn well in the RAV4-EV...

And the rest is heavy with sarcasm, right?

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Err, Panasonic's "p.o.s. design" worked pretty darn well in the RAV4-EV...

And the rest is heavy with sarcasm, right?

I think what he meant to say is, that Ovonics had the p.o.s design and that Panasonic improved that design so well, that they are on the road still today, with RAV4EVs.

retrodog
retrodog's picture

Not sure why this is in the Vectrix forum. Guess I could start several threads if I follow the logic:

GM hasn't bought Vectrix
Ford hasn't bought Vectrix
Honda states no intention to buy Vectrix

I guess the list could be almost endless.

:D

tom5007

@ retrodog: Got the message. I am not an in depth reader of what else is happening on visforvoltage, sorry for missing that somewhere else a similar threat already existed.

Norman

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07

Support V is for Voltage