Connecting Ping Battery To Charger

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
jnromero
Connecting Ping Battery To Charger

Here is my situation.

I bought a second hand ping battery off of ebay. The charger eventually stopped working. The connection on the original charger to the battery looked like this:
-1.jpg

I just received a new charger from ping with the 3 pin XLR connector like this:

-2.jpg

My questions are:

1. Does the ping battery usually come with a connector that allows connection from the xlr to the battery? (Something like this: http://www.electricscooterparts.com/images/CNX-XLR15.jpg)
2. Is there any advantage to having the xlr connector, or could I just cut it off an replace it with something like this: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/CON-320/2-CONDUCTOR-WATERPROOF-CONNECTORS-18-AWG/-/1.html

I already have a couple extra 2-conductor waterproof connectors, so my inclination would be to just cut off the xlr, and replace it with the other connector, but I wanted to check here to see if there was any advantage to the xlr before I chop up my new charger.

Thanks in advance for the help.

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Connecting Ping Battery To Charger

Yes, the three ping packs I've bought come with XLR connectors. However they aren't audio XLR connectors like you'd use for audio microphone hookup wires, the connector is laid out a little differently than that.

Whoever you bought that from probably feels as I do, that XLR connectors aren't the best choice.

For some strange reason though e-scooter and e-bicycle makers tend to use XLR connectors rather than something more sensible for a vehicle that's going to be rained on. XLR connectors were designed for studios, not out in the elements where rain is frequent.

The other connector you point to is clearly meant to be rained on. Those were designed to hook up lights on trailers.

jnromero
Re: Connecting Ping Battery To Charger

Thanks reikiman, I'll go ahead and cut the XLR off and put the other connectors on.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage