72 Volts for the XB-500

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
richardb
richardb's picture
72 Volts for the XB-500

On May 18, 2009 I finished and tested my conversion to 72 volts on my XB-500. My blog on this is on my website at:

72V Mod for XB-500

Take a look. Pictures and instructions on how it was done.

Dick

sixpax2k9
Re: 72 Volts for the XB-500

As far as the lights running off of only 48V.... If you just use the stock 48V charger with a 24V charger for the other 2 batteries, balancing should not be an issue.

Nice work though!!!!

Dave ; Tennessee
XB-600.

Cruisin

Sounds like you did a lot of work, but should be very rewarding. I would suggest that you use a 72v charger and change the DC-DC converter to a 75v model to make it more user friendly and less complicated. I have done this many times and works real well.

richardb
richardb's picture

As far as the lights running off of only 48V.... If you just use the stock 48V charger with a 24V charger for the other 2 batteries, balancing should not be an issue.

Currently, I have a 24V charger on order. My current setup consists of the stock charger mounted behind the seat, and a small 12V charger under the seat, with the two 110 VAC cords wired together, so that I can plug in just one cord to charge all batteries. That worked quite well when I was at 60 volts. When I get the 24V charger, I'll just substitute it in place of the 12V charger.
An additional note... For convenience, I have been leaving my chargers connected to the scooter so there is nothing to do except plug them into a 110V outlet. I have had no ill effect, and I have tested to make sure there is no current leakage by leaving them connected when not charging. I'm considering wiring them directly to the batteries and then using the PC type plug under the front edge of the seat as the 110V input.

Dickey_b
Waste Not, Want Not

sixpax2k9

that should work fine... but what about cooling for the chargers??? I was considering mounting the chargers in/on the bike, but I am worried about either exposing them to the elements (water) or overheating them. You dont think that is an issue????

Dave ; Tennessee
XB-600.

tonya299
tonya299's picture

I lost power to my xb 500 electric bike, I've been doing some reading on here and it seems I might have the fuser problem. I'm not sure what side to take apart? Whats the easiest way to do this? Should I do the shunt mod thing, does that really work? Tonya

:)

richardb
richardb's picture

that should work fine... but what about cooling for the chargers??? I was considering mounting the chargers in/on the bike, but I am worried about either exposing them to the elements (water) or overheating them. You dont think that is an issue????

Well, My 48V charger is mounted behind the seat, so it's exposed to the elements, but I don't ride in the rain, so I'm good there.
For the charger that's mounted under the seat, I am a little concerned about cooling. The 12V charger I was using before generated practically no heat, so It was ok, but once I get the 24V charger, I'll have to see how warm it gets before sealing it up under the seat. Generally, I can leave the seat open when charging, since that is done in my garage, but on the occasion that I charge up at work, that would be inviting theft. I'm fortunate that at work, I can park where rain can't get to my bike.

Dickey_b
Waste Not, Want Not

richardb
richardb's picture

I lost power to my xb 500 electric bike, I've been doing some reading on here and it seems I might have the fuser problem. I'm not sure what side to take apart? Whats the easiest way to do this? Should I do the shunt mod thing, does that really work? Tonya

Tonya,
From looking at another thread, it looks like you found that you had a loose battery connection, rather than a blown fuse.

The shunt mod is a definite necessity for this bike, unless you weigh less than 100 pounds. The stock bike just doesn't have enough power to get up even the slightest hill without stalling.

Dickey_b
Waste Not, Want Not

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage