Another circuit breaker bites the dust

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Iccarus
Iccarus's picture
Another circuit breaker bites the dust

Maybe mounting the circuit breaker horizonaly is not a good idea. I mounted mine theat way and started having problems. The contacts looked burned like Henrys. Anyone know a good replacment and where I can get one quick.

Thanks Bill

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture
Re: Another circuit breaker bites the dust

After disassembling and cleaning and reassembling (only correctly this time) the breaker is working fine for now. I would still like to know what's recommended for 24cells if anyone knows.

2008 XM3500li Mods/Kelly KBL12251/84v 28cell 40AH pack/ Variable regen brake trigger on left brake handle/Givi/Cycle Analyst/Homemade BMS

KMX Typhoon Home build (recumbent pedelec) with two Astro Brushless 3220motors/twin castle Phoenix ICEHV 160/ Cycl

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

Well the breaker is acting up again.and I found the problem. The pivot arm for the contact slips out of it's hole sometimes. I took a small C clamp and applied slight preasure to that spot and it works. But the bottom line is these breakers suck. I think someone posted something on this but what would be a better replacment an a/c or d/c breaker.

2008 XM3500li Mods/Kelly KBL12251/84v 28cell 40AH pack/ Variable regen brake trigger on left brake handle/Givi/Cycle Analyst/Homemade BMS

KMX Typhoon Home build (recumbent pedelec) with two Astro Brushless 3220motors/twin castle Phoenix ICEHV 160/ Cycl

garygid

A DC breaker is the correct type for the job, but they are less common and more expensive.

Most are too much $$$

If you find a candidate, post a price and links to it and its technical specifications here, and I (or we) will look at the specs.

What is your max current through the breaker?

Can you post pictures and onfo on your 3500's breaker, and how you "fixed" the pivot?

Maybe I can determine if my 5000's breaker is the same, or some different model, or make.

Thanks, Gary

Cheers, Gary
XM-5000Li, wired for cell voltage measuring and logging.

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

I wouldn't call this "fixed" but it got me back on the road. Mcguyver would be proud. If your breaker won't catch or engage even with no power to it, try squeezing with your thumb and forfinger right around where that clamp is. I called extreme to order parts and am waiting for a call back. I guess these are 100amp breakers. I was looking at some online last night they were $60 to $80 for D/C. The breaker brand is CHNT it's a DZ4-60 it also says C-60 on it. Well all right you asked for it here's my "fix".DSC01270.JPG

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

proempiet

My circuit breaker also switched to the OFF position during operation.
It happened twice when driving 80Km/h (not full throttle) the scooter has only driven 300Km ;-(

XM-5000li like scooter (top speed gps 938 Km/h max range (XM-5000Li speedometer) 87,6 )

garygid
Re: A $39 DC 100A circuit breaker

Looks reasonable to me, but I did not read any detailed specs.
Looks like it could be mounted OK. I wonder if it is polarized?

Good find. I would buy one and test it out if I had any trouble with mine.

My breaker says 4000A and GB10963.1 near the blue ON/OFF switch. I will read more when I take it out again. I also have some pictures ... I will post one later.

Cheers, Gary

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

Mine says that too I just don't know what the numers mean. I ordered one I'll keep ya posted.

garygid

What was the shipping charge?

The 4000 might mean the breaker can interrupt 4000 AC amps, but usually the DC rating is a lot less (since the AC current turns itself off 120 times a second).

Cheers, Gary

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

Shipping was insane...$17

proempiet

Mine says
"C60
IEC60898.1
GB10963.1"

If you google on "IEC60898.1 4000A" so see a lot of Chinees site!

Mine triped 3 times today on an 25Km trip, lets see what tomorrow bring.

XM-5000li like scooter (top speed gps 938 Km/h max range (XM-5000Li speedometer) 87,6 )

proempiet

I got an DC replacement from my Chinees friends.
It is an BHA DC41 ciruit braker the specs are 125VDC 63A 10kA from a Taiwan company Shihlin.

The breaker work good it does not trip at least the last 5 days.

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

X-treme came through for me and I got a stock replacement that's working good for now. They also sent me a left brake handle to replace the one that broke when the bike fell off the kickstand. I did buy one of the ones I posted above, still not sure if they are right though. Anyone know more about this? I hooked up my cycle analyst today. It's great gives you an incredible amount of information. To much to list but it gives you a percent of range gained by regen braking, amp and watt hours used, being drawn, min and max amps and watts,watt hrs per mi. accurate speed and allot more.
weeeee it's like Christmas came early

charter member EVs anonymous!

garygid

A 63 amp (DC) circuit breaker on the 100-amp "5000"?
Are you only running in Economy Mode?

Or, are you avoiding higher speeds and "fast" starts to keep your current usage down?

Cheers, Gary

proempiet

A 63 amp (DC) circuit breaker on the 100-amp "5000"?
Are you only running in Economy Mode?

Or, are you avoiding higher speeds and "fast" starts to keep your current usage down?

No I am riding it as before the circuit breaker change.
125VDC * 63 Amp = 7875 Watt this devided by the 75 Volt of the 21 Cells is 105 Amp??????

This an replacement from EFun themselves so I think (I am not sure) they now what they are doing?

AndyH
Alter Systems, Marine Deal, Chint, Square D

My stock breaker gave similar nuisance trips expecially when hot. X-Treme replaced it quickly and this breaker has been much better, but it's still not able to take a hot day.

I've contaced Alter Systems to find the DC voltage rating for their surface mount 100A and 110A breakers and will report back.

I've ordered a 100A DC breaker from Marine Deal - http://www.marinedeal.com/product_p/7250.htm It's a 100A DC breaker rated for 80VDC. $39.95 and $7.52 for UPS ground shipping from Del Mar, CA.

The stock breaker is a ChiNT DZ47-60 60A AC breaker. Here's the datasheet. According to the manufacturer, the breaker is derated to 90% of capacity at 40ºC - that brings our 60A breaker down to about 54A. I think the temperature is a significant factor - especially for those of us in hotter climates (I start my rides at 38ºC).

I think we're also losing some capability due to the AC breaker. Square D has some info on this:

Standard ac circuit breakers ... have an
adjustable instantaneous trip range from five to 10 times the continuous
current rating of the circuit breaker. Even at the lowest instantaneous trip
setting, a circuit breaker that is sized for appropriate thermal protection has
an instantaneous trip range that is 500 percent of the circuit breaker
continuous current rating and is thus too high to protect the battery.

I think what they're telling us is that if we compare a 100A AC and a 100A DC breaker in a DC system, the AC breaker will take much longer to trip. This suggests that a properly sized DC breaker should give better protection when there's a reason for it to trip.

I also think (and this is a guess) that the scooter manufacturers are selecting a more easily available and less expensive AC breaker due to cost, but selecting a smaller capacity breaker in order to give about the right trip point.

I suspect we'll find that a 100A DC breaker might give us much better protection when necessary while nearly eliminating the nuissance trips.

Andy

strawhistle
Re: Alter Systems, Marine Deal, Chint, Square D

now this is the kind of info we need!! I hope the moderator's will file that Co. goto hhhp? in the best spot LaTeR

thank GOD I wake up above ground !!!!

AndyH
Alter Systems CD100-SM = 125V DC

... I've contaced Alter Systems to find the DC voltage rating for their surface mount 100A and 110A breakers and will report back. ...

Alter Systems reports that their CD100-SM and CD110-SM 100A and 110A breakers are rated at 125VDC

http://www.altersystems.com/catalog/surface-mounted-100-amp-dc-circuit-breaker-p-1170.html

Again...this isn't a recommendation, just info at this point. Andy

AndyH
Circuit Breaker 'Review' - Marine Deal

The UPS Man brought the breaker from Marine Deal this afternoon. This is a 100A 80V DC breaker.

It's a panel mounted breaker - the two mounting holes are on the face. It could be bolted into one of the plastic panels, or with a home-made angle bracket.

Wiring is from the bottom - 1/4" studs. We'll have to fit lugs on the wiring to use this breaker - there are no cable clamps as on the stock Chint breaker.

breakers.jpg

Numbers... It's supposed to run all day at 100A. It's designed to trip at 135A.
Manufacturer's Data: http://magnetic-circuit-breakers.carlingtech.com/circuit-breaker__86.asp#elibrary

Some additional Info:

Introduction to Circuit Breakers: http://www.carlingtech.com/pdf/CB_Introduction.pdf

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture
Re: Circuit Breaker 'Review' - Marine Deal

Thanks for all the great info Andy. Now the bad news... according to my cycle analyst, my 3500li at 24cells is drawing a max amp of 138amps.(very short probably a fraction of a second) Also with the kelly controller configured the way I had mine the motor was getting up to 6kw at times. Cruising at 45mph level ground is about 3kw. Full trottle at 48/50mph about 4.5kw Driving in the neighborhood at speeds around 20mph I use 48watt hours per mile. At mostly full throttle I get 68wh/mi. I consistently get 6% of power used back from regen. I think in city driving it will be 10% or better. I'll try to present my data in more organized manner when I get more. My KEB72601 blew on me. Kelly upgraded me to a KBL14251H. The unit I had had no pre-charge resister, which apparently caused the failure.

AndyH

There you go doing all that non-standard stuff. :-) I suspect the 100A breaker will be the best match for the stock bikes.

You will probably have to get the circuit breaker recommendation from the folks at Kelly, or choose a max current for your installation and select an appropriate breaker.

The folks at Alter Systems have 100A, 110A breakers. Their next jump is to 175A. I don't know what your other breaker options are.

Thanks for all the great info Andy. Now the bad news... according to my cycle analyst, my 3500li at 24cells is drawing a max amp of 138amps.(very short probably a fraction of a second) Also with the kelly controller configured the way I had mine the motor was getting up to 6kw at times. Cruising at 45mph level ground is about 3kw. Full trottle at 48/50mph about 4.5kw Driving in the neighborhood at speeds around 20mph I use 48watt hours per mile. At mostly full throttle I get 68wh/mi. I consistently get 6% of power used back from regen. I think in city driving it will be 10% or better. I'll try to present my data in more organized manner when I get more. My KEB72601 blew on me. Kelly upgraded me to a KBL14251H. The unit I had had no pre-charge resister, which apparently caused the failure.

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

I set the controller for 70% motor power or 175amps and 50% battery power or 100amps. I'm not sure how to determine the best settings for my motor and am experimenting a little. muuaaahhahahah The cycle analyst showed up to 10kw to the motor and 138maxamps. I'm running at 92v. I take it real easy on it most of the time but it's nice to have the power when you want it. Upping the percent of battery power apparently gives you better pickup at high speed. I raised battery power to 60% and motor to 80% and didn't get more speed but better acceleration at higher speeds. Can anyone explain these parameters and how they effect performance?

Also the stock breaker seems to be holding up fine now. I think it's the precharge resister I put across the breaker,it comes with the controller. No more arcing I guess?

garygid

Icc...,
You should add a switch in series with the "pre-charge" resistor, to be closed for doing the pre-charge, and then opened after you close the breaker.

That way, the breaker can actually do its job of fully cutting off the pack power to the controller.

How many ohms is the p-c resistor?

Cheers, Gary

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

Gary, Yes I switched the resister after realizing that. Thanks though. I have just been leaving it closed but I guess what you said would be safer. I didn't notice the value of the resistor but it's probably on kellys website on the schematic. Sorry but mine is buried in tubing now. On a long highspeed trip (48mph) to Wisconsin with almost no braking I only got 2.2% on regen and about 68WH/mi. My top in average driving has been 8.2% regen and about 50WH/mi. I only get about 33ah out of my batts and I'm about done. I love the scooter though...having a great time!

AndyH

As the subject makes clear - another breaker is dead. My 2nd Chint 60Ah breaker overheated and tripped. The internal switch mechanism was locked 'open' by the now solid plastic.

I was within walking distance of a store where I bought a screwdriver and a small pair of vise grips. The breaker came out, the cables were clamped in the vice grip jaws, and I rode home with not a single breaker trip. ;-)

I soldered a couple of copper lugs on the battery cables, attached them to the breaker, and insulated the terminals with a piece of hose that was slit and cable tied into place.

DC_Breaker.jpg

150 miles later and it's been rock solid. The breaker isn't warm even on 100 degree days after a hard ride. It switches on and off very smoothly and the longer toggle is easier to move. One of these days I need to make a little bracket for it, I guess. But in the mean time it's happily bouncing along.

Andy

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage