trial trike

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
turok
turok's picture
trial trike

Hi all,

Normally I wouldn’t have much time to do fabrication work, but I have the tools, I like to think I have the skills, and I’m looking at a few weeks of leave at work, so I might start a little project.

I was planning to build something like this, to take my twin daughters for a ride some time:

bakfiets-cargobike-kort-mvw-480.jpg

But I was concerned that my untrained legs would give up after a few miles:-)
By chance, I got my hands on an amount of (new) SLA batteries (http://www.darekk95.csd.pl/Allegro/hr1234wf2.pdf) so I thought, with the help of my buddies on the forum, why not make it electric with one of the “retrofit e-bike conversion kits” ?

But here comes the clue: I might have too little knowledge of electronics and formula’s to work out what I would need to make it useable.

I can find (on ebay - quite cheap btw) different conversion kits ranging from 24V/250W to 48V/1000W.
I guess I would choose the heaviest one in my case, but I can’t figure out how many SLA batteries I would need to power is sufficiently, for a long enough distance.
I think I saw somewhere that the batteries can provide up to 8AH, but I don’t know how to put everything into a formula.

The batteries are meant to be 12V, so I guess I could work with 4 or 8 of them to get 48V.

Any advice anyone?

thx,
Turok

soulbandaid
Re: trial trike

Roughly speaking volts mean speed and amp-hours mean distance. All batteries should have both ratings, if they don't the batteries are probably not suitable. The batteries you pictured make an incredible claim about 260 cycles at 100%Depth of discharge (that means sucking the batteries dry). They give capacity in watts at 15 mintues. I can't really convert the measurment for you, but i'm fairly sure those battereies have nowhere near enough capacity.

Also for saftey batteries for EV's should be AGM or gel (preferably AGM), so that fluids from the batteries doesn't spill when the vehicle is at odd angles. I don't know what kind the ones you have are.

You can make battery voltage add by putting the batteries in series, and the amp hours add by putting the batteries in parallel. But i think you might need an awful lot of those batteries you linked to.

The capacity regaurdless of voltage should be somewhere in the 10-20amp-hour range. Watts=volts*amps.

turok
turok's picture
Re: trial trike

So if I use 8 batteries, 2 rows of 4 in series; I'd have 48 volts, but only 16AH. The motor draws 20 Amps (1000/48 right?), so I could hit the thottle for about 45 minutes? Is that anywhere near?

"doing nothin = doing nothing wrong" is invalid when the subject is environment

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage