Clicking sound in my Luyuan Geared Hub Motor?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ken68
Ken68's picture
Clicking sound in my Luyuan Geared Hub Motor?

My Luyuan Condor E-Bike has a 450watt geared hub motor that is the same motor as the Motorino HTs have. Within the last 2 weeks a clicking sound is coming from the motor. The clicking sound is there with or without power applied to the motor. Also the clicking sound disappears when the E-Bikes weight is removed from the rear wheel. My dealer Mobility Unlimited is helping me determine what the problem is. We have already changed the rear wheel bearing, cleaned up the spline on the axles and within the rear wheel hub. This coming Saturday we are going to swap out the gears within the motor itself. The motor is still putting out loads of power with no evidence of anything out of the ordinary except for the noise, any ideas?

Thanks guy/gals,

Ken Finch

Ken68
Ken68's picture
Re: Clicking sound in my Luyuan Geared Hub Motor?

Bump for getting an answer.

Ken Finch

Thanks,
Ken Finch

Piers

I had a clicking sound from a loose break shoe mounting. The break pads catch a little to raise shift the mounting repeatedly.

Ken68
Ken68's picture

For quite a while now my Condor E-Bike was making scratchy squeaky sounds from the rear wheel. Well myself and Mobility Unlimited's head technician Svend could not figure out what it is, we took off the rear wheel and motor and looked and found nothing. The motor is quiet and the drum brakes are fine. Spen changed the rear wheel bearing again and the sound is still there.

Well today I did a little investigating on my own and found out over half of the spokes in the rear wheel were loose. I tightened all the spokes on the front and rear wheels and the sound is gone away completely. Well all there is left to do is get my front wheel bearing changed because it has gone bad and my E-Bike will be back to 100%. Thank goodness.

Ken Finch

Thanks,
Ken Finch

james joule

hi, this happened to my 250watt scooter and it turned out that on the gearing part of the gear cogs 1 was made of steel and the other two of the 3 gear cogs were made of plastic and had lost some teeth, it was hard to notice with all the grease, cheers ,James

Ken68
Ken68's picture

Well I have physically seen inside some defective Condor geared hub motors and all the gears are made of hardened steel in a gear case with 100cc of gear oil and six bearings (two per gear or shaft). Veloteq uses the same motor on some of their 2009 E-Bikes and Motorino uses it on their 2008 HTh E-Bike models. After I had tightened all the spokes I took my Condor out for a test ride and the scratching and creaking sounds from the rear wheel are gone now. The only sound left is the crunching sounds from the front left wheel bearing that has failed, that hopefully will be fixed this weekend.

Ken Finch

Thanks,
Ken Finch

james joule

hi, Glad to hear its cured, mines a chinese made one and I'm still trying to find some replacement cogs, cheers james.

garygid

A simple, quick test of spoke tightness is to gently tap each one with a "long", thin metal object (like a typical screwdriver shaft) and listen to the "musical ping".

A tight spoke gives a high-pitched "musical" note (ping), and a loose spoke gives off a "dull thud" sound.

If they are of equal length and "woven" similiarly (they usually are), they should all sound essentially the same, and even small variations are easily detected by the sounds they make.

Everybody with spoked wheels, go test yours.

Cheers, Gary
XM-5000Li, wired for cell voltage measuring and logging.

Ken68
Ken68's picture

Thanks for the information.

Thanks,
Ken Finch

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage