De-restriction possible on this moped?

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
hogesar
De-restriction possible on this moped?

I own an electric moped / bike (it is a moped style, however has pedals, which i have removed) and will now not be using it on the road. IT is currently restricted to the legal 16-18 mph ish. However, i have been told it can go faster, and it does appear that way. It accelerates to this speed in about 5 seconds, and up hills it will give another boost of power to keep it at this speed when i am climbing hills.
If i understand correctly, when i free-wheel above this speed, the electric as such cuts out..would it therefore mean that the restrictor is based on the speed of the wheel? I could not find a sensor, however.
I have some pictures to post, and hope that they help somewhat. The make is a chinese import, and is called 'shi shang'. Thanks in advance
20090621_140122.jpg

20090621_140149.jpg
20090621_140244.jpg

antiscab
Re: De-restriction possible on this moped?

the controller is determining speed from the motor position sensors.
If you are lucky, there is a jumper inside the controller that can be removed, which will derestrict it.

If you are not, you will need a new controller.

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

hogesar

I don't suppose you have a picture of what i'd be looking for, do you?
I'm not too good with electrics! (which probably isn't the greatest of starts).

hogesar

someone must know! :)

little
little's picture

can you show all wires out from the controller?
can you go to the menu: control system to see the diagram ?
there is an option of short connecting of most China controller which accelerate the speed.

hogesar

I will take some photos for you, probably the best way to show you!
I don't know if it's allowed on this forum, but generally i dont mind offering paypal donations to users that successfully help me. Thanks!
Hogesar.

Right, this is basically the best i could do.
20090622_152517.jpg
20090622_152604.jpg
20090622_152752.jpg
Thanks again.
Hogesar.

hogesar

Okay, well update here.

I took apart the controller, and found what i saw was a jumper on top of 3 metal prong things. (in hope for a better desc).
Took jumper off, put back together.
It went slower than before.

I failed to mention, that i have a red button. Unpressed, i am limited to just under 20 km/h..but pressed in and it goes up to around 30km/h, or just under.

Anyway, i re-wired simply because it wasn't in a good position.
Now its dead. I get nothing.
All the electrics work, but no movement.
Help please? :(

garygid

Apparently you did rewiring incorrectly, or something else to "kill" it. It worked, and now it does not?

Undo whatever you did.

Maybe pulling off the jumper in the controller "killed" the controller?
If so, that is sad, but welcome to the world of "just do anything and see if it dies".

Better might be to (carefully) open and take good pictures, post them, and get suggestions before making modifications.

But, without any real documentation, maybe nobody knows what to do, or even if this (your) controller can be modified.

Cheers, Gary
XM-5000Li, wired for cell voltage measuring and logging.

reikiman
reikiman's picture

A specific recommendation is the label on the controller. It looks very much like controllers you can buy through tncscooters.com or electricscooterparts.com and the connectors in the pictures are identical to the connectors you buy through either of those places. I'm guessing with a picture of the controller's label the maker and model can be identified, and probably it's one listed by those dealers, and both of them have wiring diagrams in their sales info.

garygid

R,
Very good observations and suggestions.

Yes, try to get documentation.

Keep us posted.

Did you get your "fixes" undone to get it working again?

Cheers, Gary
XM-5000Li, wired for cell voltage measuring and logging.

little
little's picture

most pricinple of the controller are same, please see the gereral diagram I offer and the controller wiring below, hope it can help you .

when you reconnecting the connectors, please notice it good connecting, sometimes the connector outside is on but the pin inside is not on...

Red Button: that is the power button (called boost button in e-max) , the jumper you called in my controller is J3 button, my J3 use : open 30A, short connecting is 50A,when press the red power , the scooter works under 55A with faster speed.

your scooter is same when you press the red button and it works with higher current . then you get faster speed, of course , faster speed reduce the driving range.

controller spec wiring1.jpg
controller spec wiring2.jpg
controller spec wiring3.jpg

hogesar

Okay well, turns out there was some bad connectors. Put some new connectors on the end, and it goes - albeit slower than before! I'm restricted to just over 20km/h. I will take a photo of the controller when i get back from work, for now i am going to try and replace the jumper to hope i get back to nearer 30 km/h.
Thankyou everyone for your help!

little
little's picture

if you would like to buy from China, I can help you :

tell me the spec / model or the controller and producer of the conftroller and show me all the connectors( match your old connectors), the cost is about less 100usd and the air freight maybe around 100usd( not sure, estimated, subject to FEDEX,UPS....)

hogesar

Thanks little, i'll keep that in mind if it comes down to it.
I have a picture of the label here for anyone interested.
controlabel.jpg

Now, looking at the 3 metal bits which had the jumper on top, i put the 3 back together - nothing. However, on mine i noticed that the jumper separated the left from the middle and the right. So i just put the middle and right together - this made it even slower.
I separated them all (unfortunately the middle metal bit fell off).
I am now at a point where i reach about 22km/h maximum..and i've lost a bit of acceleration.

I have 3 connectors coloured Red, Yellow and Black. These connect, i think..to the motor? It has a direct influence on it anyway. I did not have the proper connectors, and instead used slightly thicker pieces of metal connector. Is it possible that these new connectors i have used are causing to much resistance, and therefore not all the electricity is flowing through? It's all i can really think of.
Thanks again!

little
little's picture

3 coonector? you mean 3 pins connector with red yellow and black, they are throttle handle ( Hall signal) to the controller, driving speed control, old used thicker metal connector no impact to the resistance...

the 3 metal points use is for your changing the work current, than the scooter speed is different, after you put on the jumper in different point , and take off the jumper, trun the throttle to full position, to see which speed is the fastest.

since one point fell off, you can weld it ...

hogesar

Okay, well here's the problem - i've lost the metal point, and also in taking of the jumper it broke. :(

hogesar

Now this is a finding!

I think, my Moped is a DIRECT import of the FUN6 models from fun2ride.co.uk
I say this after finding this ebay listing - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-ROAD-LEGAL-ELECTRIC-BIKE-SCOOTER-MOPED-FUN6_W0QQitemZ290327269396QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bikes_GL?hash=i...|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1688|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

It still has the shi-shang stickers on it like mine, and the exact same dash. Interesting!

jimjim22

Hi

I don’t have any solutions about your bike but I was wondering if you could give me some information about the bike i.e. what you think about it, on hills and in general I am thinking of getting one of eBay and would really appreciate some info

Thanks jimjim22

hogesar

Hey,
Well, before i messed about with the controller, i was restricted to 18mph ish.
It didn't slow down up hills, in fact it accelerated to make sure i continued at the same speed.

It's fairly solid, although there are a couple of cracks which have concerned me. Downhill i have travelled up to 25-30mph and it was still comfortable.

I think it's important to remember whilst the advertised bike is 36v, mine is actually 48v. I'm not sure how much difference it makes.
If you're after better speed and acceleration when you buy your bike - you have a button which enables you to travel up to 28mph according to Ebay. Mine is actually 28 km/h...hopefully they haven't got confused there...

What i would suggest however, is that you take a look at my exact model which is on ebay, buy it now at £499.99
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROAD-LEGAL-ELECTRIC-MOPED-SCOOTER-BIKE-BICYCLE-200W_W0QQitemZ110405872535QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycles...|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1688|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

jimjim22

Hi where did you get yours

hogesar

Well the link i just gave you is actually a guy who imports them, and he's quite local to me. I actually bought the same bike, but second hand, in the area. But it was a 2008 model and according to the dates on the documented paper, mine's only about 6 months old.

I got mine for £200, but you'll be lucky to find that anywhere haha!

jimjim22

Hi

I have bought a ajutor electric scooter to take the limiter off you have to unplug two black wires on the controller unit there are two white wires already unplugged does anybody know what they do if you plug them together (don’t want to try in case I damage something

Many thanks

Jimjim22

jimjim22

Hi
I have bought an ajutor electric scooter it goes about 35kmh to make it go quicker what do you do? Is it the motor or control unit any ideas
Thanks

kbettyboo
Advice on the Shi Shang Scooter

Hi all,
I need alittle advice from anyone who has had experience with this scooter or like it. Its an electric one and in the book it states not to be used in the rain. Has anyone had any experience of these scooters and are they ok to use in the rain or not. I dont want to get stuck somewehere and cant get home. : )
Regards
Kbettyboo, Blackpool, England

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage