Charging Problems for a Stealth 1000

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
JMWPainter
Charging Problems for a Stealth 1000

I have had my Stealth S1000 for about 6 months now and I have only run the battery down to the red twice since. I have always plugged it in to charge every night and while I am at work or where-ever when I can. I had just gotten the back tires tube repaired and have been using it to get to work and anywhere else I need to be for about two weeks now. I had just run the battery down again but I feel I could have normally gotten home before a dead battery unless something was wrong with it. I put it on charge right away and when I looked at the charger in the morning, 8+ hours later, it said it was still charging, with the red light still lit up. Both the charger and foot-board, where the batteries are, were warm. I took it to work "as is" and plugged it in for another 8+ hours and like before the charger and foot-board were hot this time. I am afraid to charge it now incase I might burn something up inside it.

Well, there is the whole story. Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong with it or have something I can try? Is the charger bad or maybe the batteries or is a cable loose? Please let me know. Thank You!

sixpax2k9
Re: Charging Problems for a Stealth 1000

First thing I would do is check each of the batteries in the pack individually. Could have 1 battery severely under charged or going bad. If you have a 12v charger try charging each battery individually as well. Also check the output voltage of the charger with your voltmeter.

Thats probably the best place to start.

Dave ; Tennessee
XB-600.

FrankenstienEV
Re: Charging Problems for a Stealth 1000

I agree 100 percent with sixpack. I am assuming you are using the OEM charger (Coming Data brand)? They have a good charge method I think the word is slgorythm or something, BUT they don't last much more than about 40 recharges. I bought 3 schwinn scooters over about a 3 year period and all 3 chargers went bad very soon and the same problem. While charging the batteries, and it came to the point where the charger should go to float voltage (around 44-45 volts), it would maintain full charge right past it and keep going. The voltage would continue to climb until it ruined the batteries. If you have a voltmeter, open the zipper on the pack and pull out the batteries. Keep it plugged into your scooter and charge the pack but continue to monitor the voltages on each battery and the whole pack. The whole pack voltage should not go past 44-45 volts and each battery voltage should not go past 15 volts. Initially the whole pack voltage might be lower but as it charges the voltage will keep climbing. when it gets near 44 volts, watch it closely. If it goes beyond 45 the charger is no good and should not be used without closely monitoring the voltage. I bought 2 soniel 36 volt 2 amp chargers from www.electricrider.com 4 years ago and have never had a problem with them. My battery packs using that charger would last 2 years. Whatever you do, don't waste your money on another coming data charger!!! Frank

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage