Basic maintenance

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
mf70
Basic maintenance

I was noticing some shimmy in my 1-month-old XB-600. While stopped, I applied the front brake fully and rocked the bike forward and back. There was a distinct "clunk," indicating looseness in the steering tube bearings. (I also checked the triple clamp bolts, but they were adequately tight.)

Access to the bearing nuts is restricted, but I was able to tighten them up by tapping them gently on a land with a metal punch, with the lock nut tightened the same way, only with a bit more force.

Steering is much more positive now.

JamesS
JamesS's picture
Re: Basic maintenance

I am surprised this happened in 1 month, though I guess it would depend on how many miles and the terrain you ride on. I had this same thing at about 1000 miles. You don't really notice it until as you said a wobble or a clunking noise. But you will notice the difference after tightening the goose neck nut. I have made it part of my 1000 mile check up. Just rolled over 3700 so it is almost due again.

Happy scooting,
JamesS

mf70
Re: Basic maintenance

I'm sure it was loose out of the box. That's why a shop will charge $100 for "setup." If they're earning their money they'll be checking the assembly.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage