Need help wiring!

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
bhamlax1
Need help wiring!

I just bought an old 36V currie electro drive. I am new to wiring electric motors and need some help. I have it wired as this...

red and black (battery) to red and black (controller)

yellow and blue (controller) to red and black (motor)

I still have a red, green, black, pink, white, yellow and blue.

the throttle has a red black and green which i am assuming match with the wires coming from the controller but it was not working when i spliced them to their corresponding colors.

when i touched the white and pink coming from the controller the motor does a half turn or so and stops, are these the throttle?

tested the batteries and they are reading 38V, i believe that they are ok.

anyway hope someone can enlighten me. Thanks.

mf70
Re: Need help wiring!

Why are you having to attach the controller? Was it replaced, or just unhooked? If you have two wires from the motor only, it's a brushed motor.

General pictures of brushed controller wiring are:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/scootercatalog/Controller-schematic.jpg

http://www.tncscooters.com/CT-611B9.pdf

You'll need:

• three wires from the throttle,
  • two heavy wires from the Battery
  • (if brushed) Two heavy wires to the motor
  • two wires for brake cutout

Other functions don't need to be connected generally. Colors don't always match up, though the throttle wires should be the same at the throttle as at the controller plug.

Mark

bhamlax1

mark,

Yeah, i had to reconnect the controller, motor, and throttle because they were in pieces.

I have the Motor going now through connecting the white and pink (22awg) coming from the controller. Are these the throttle? I tried connecting the throttle to pink and white and it runs but at full speed, no way to variate the speed, this is a handle bar grip throttle. thanks for the help!

mf70

There are two types of throttle,

• a potentiometer with two wires. This merely puts a variable resistance between the two wires. This is older technology.
  • A Hall effect throttle. This will have three wires, needing supply voltage, ground, and signal.

You'll need to trace the wires to the throttle to see which you have. On the controller side of the throttle wires, when it's powered up, one line will have a supply voltage, probably +5 or 12V.

You will also have a brake inhibit pair. When they are connected, the controller is probably switched off. Again, you will need to trace the wires from the brakes to make sure which wires do this.

If you've got an ignition switch, there will be another pair that is electrically open until the switch s turned on.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage