No longer assisting

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
ashby3
ashby3's picture
No longer assisting

I have a six months old PL350 Bionx on my TerraTrike Tour - until a couple of days ago it has performed very well. Now it will not assist me when I amd pedaling the trike. The console seems to be working correctly, I get the speed, avg speed, time, time of ride, distance of ride, and odometer plus the assist and regen A and G letters - as far as I can tell it does everything it always has. I can get into the programing mode and made changes and if I go back and look the changes I have made are still there. Making changes to anything to do with assist has no effect at all on the unit but if I change the Regenerative braking that changes the way the Bionx brakes. But no matter how I program the unit or how hard I push the pedals it will not assist. The throttle works just fine. The Bionx will sometimes come on and assist when I am coasting or going down a hill - this is very weird. Oh just so you will know the notch is dead at 6PM. Anyone got any ideas - I am really missing this thing.

win32forth
win32forth's picture
Re: No longer assisting

Hi Ashby3,

Clearly your battery is not dead, since all the controls indicate everything is working. Most likely, there is an issue in the motor "drive wiring". I know little about the type of motor in the Bionix, but if the controls all indicate that there is no problem,then the problem has to be beyond the controls ability to see the problem. In other words, the controller may not be putting out anything to the motor, or there may be a separate fuse on the motor from the rest of the electronics, that could be blown, which would remove power from the motor, but everything else would look normal. Most likely it is not the motor itself, since it is unlikely that all phases of the motor would fail at the same time. It could also be just a loose wire on the power to the motor, so if you haven't already looked at all the wiring, then it is time to check it out. You say the regenerative braking is working, which implies that the connections from the motor to the controller are ok. So, it could also be the relay that applies power to the motor through the controller, which would be located inside the controller I am guessing.

Just my thoughts,

Tom

GTAluigi

hey ashby3

It is most likely a lose wire problem.
I've had that happened to me a few times before, but that was because I know I've kicked or loosened the wire sometimes when i pedal too hard and slip my foot.

Problem solved after i switched to longer cables, with extra slack, so even if i hit the cable it wont unlogged from its exact fit connection.
Every time i snapped the wire lose, the controller will still respond & all, but some functions might not work, depending which wires are left connected.

Anyways things you can try:
- unplug all wiring
- check motor to battery wiring (unplug/replug)
- check battery to controller wiring (unplug/replug)
- check the battery connector (unplug/replug)
- check the motor wire to the hub (unplug/replug)
- unplug the break level sensor
- turn on the system, you should get (G) all the time
- turn off the system
- replug the break level sensor, and adjust it to your break
- turn on the system, it should be on Neutral or (A)
- if you can put the bike on a stand or something, spin the motor wheel, then hit the throttle, it should engage
- set the A to level 4, then try and pedal the bike with your hands, and see if the motor engages
- make sure the rear axle sensor is aligned properly, it should be pointing down, the metal square part should be facing the floor.

ashby3
ashby3's picture

Bionx has decided that the torque sensor has gone bad and are replacing the wheel.

Now I just have to wait for shipping information and the shipping it self.

Ashby

ashby3
ashby3's picture

It took NYCEWheels, my dealer, over a week after I first contacted them to get me an RMA number to return my wheel - now they say it will take Bionx two weeks or more to fix or replace the wheel so by the time it gets back to me it will likely be over a month I have to be with out my wheel and it is under warranty - this just seems wrong to me,

Anyone else had this sort of POOR service?

Ashby

ashby3
ashby3's picture

I got my wheel back from NYCEWheel today or I should say I got a replacement wheel from Bionx through NYCE Wheels.
It took 27 days from the time I contacted NYCEWheel until a got the replacement wheel under warranty.
I do not know where all the hold up are but it should not take 27 day to get a warranty replacement now for anything.
Well at least I got it and it does seem to be working correctly.

Ashby

myocardia

Ashby, check your PM's. I'm glad you finally got a replacement wheel, and I definitely agree that it shouldn't take a month to get warranty replacements. I would never do business with a company that did that type of thing, so thanks for letting us know about the ones not to do business with.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage