after reset with code 5000

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
timeamodos
after reset with code 5000

Hi!

I am new to this forum and I hope this topin can be accepted.
My problem is I am not able to get the extended codes.
I can not use thumb trottle after reset, nothing happened after mode and g-. It should happen countdown but it shouldn't. Did anyone have this kind of problem? I have 3.8 firmware.
Thanks heaps
Timi

GTAluigi
Re: after reset with code 5000

Hi welcome!

I think we need more information.

But from the sound of it, the controller or the battery might not be operating properly.

By default, right after you turn ON the controller, the countdowns begins right away, there is nothing special to be done for it to work as far as i know.

So you are saying that even after you turn Off, then turn back ON the controller, it doesn't do that countdown?

What year is your BionX? as in when it was made? before 2008 (medium quality) or after 2009 (good)?

aramas

Hi all !
I am new to BIONX and bought recently a PL 350 in USA and took it with me to Europe.
The local dealer in Laguna Beach configured the settings for me but unfortunately I made a mistake and resetted (code 5000) the console.
Now I cannot use the throttle and the speed limit of 25 KM/h is activated again.
I have the newest firmware r.Eu.3.8.
I have bought a US version of Bionx PL 350 and still I cannot have the 32 KM/h (=20 mph) speed limit, instead I have the european speed limit of 25 kmh (=15 mph).

Codes 3773 does not help and returns me to the main menu.
For the throttle pressing the MODE and -G does not display any countdown.

Any help would be higly appreciated.
Aramas

timeamodos

Hi Aramas!
It seems we can shake hand, we have an exatly the same problem.
I hope somebody able to help us.

Thank you
Timi

timeamodos

Hi!

I just realized that Aramas has a same problem. I hope now it is understandable. Do you need more information?

Thank you
Timi

aramas

Hi Timi,
yes it seems we have the same issue but still no solution. Where did you buy your kit ? Can your dealer help us ?

Anyone knows if BIONX Canada has a support team which can help us with this question ?
I phoned and emailed the dealer in Laguna Beach where I bought the kit but he was not able to solve the problem on the phone.

Thank you
Aramas

timeamodos

Hi Aramas!

Yes, unfortunately no solution. We have called our dealer and he was not so helpful over the phone. We bought the kit from California from this site: http://www.greenspeed.us/index.html
Anyone knows exactly about 3774 code?
What do you think that the change of the console can solve the problem? Here is the answer from the dealer: 'Sounds like the control console would have to be replaced replacement would not be covered by warranty )'.

Thank you
Timi

aramas

Hi Timi,
we bought the kit from the same dealer. I drove down from LA to Laguna Beach and met the owner of the shop. His name is Kevin.

Yesterday, I sent and email to Bionx support Canada and here is what they said.

Aramas ,

Code 5000 should never be executed on 2009 model ( CAN-bus )  ,  the control console might have to be reprogrammed at the factory .

Try the procedure , in the User's Guide ,  page 23   , to try to get the throttle to work again  ,  if that does not work   -  the console will have to be replaced .
Regards ,

Alain Marchand
Assistance Technique / Technical Support

EPS / BionX Intelligent Bike
A Magna Marque International Inc. Company
2995 Boul. Industriel
Sherbrooke, QC
Canada J1L 2T9
Tel: +1 866 620 1109 ext. 248
Fax: + 1 866 800 9965
a.marchand [at] bionx.ca
www.bionx.ca

In other words we have to send the kit back and maybe even replace the console if we want to get the throttle working.

Now I am trying to be positive about this. The Bionx kit works fine for me except the two issues:

-I have no throttle function but I don't really care and probably won't use this that much.
-the 16 mph limit is definitively annoying but for commuting 7 miles from home to work that doesn't bother me much.

So I will try to find out the cost for shipping to factory and if the shipping rate is too high I will continue using my kit with the above mentioned minor issues.

Keep me posted and take care

Aramas

aramas

Hello again Timi,
BIONX says executing the 5000 code voids the warranty.
That means if we want to solve the issue we have to buy a new console or pay for the repair. They didn't say how much the repair will cost.

I don't know if replacing the console will solve the issue but Alain from Bionx seems to say that only the console has to be replaced and not the whole kit.
As far as I understood there are two kind of consoles: pre-2009 and post 2009 which uses CAN-bus. Both cost the same: 200$.

I will think about which solution to choose. Maybe I will buy a new console and see if this can solve the issue.

What is the 3774 code?

timeamodos

Hello Aramas!

Here is news what we found:
"How did the genius that figured out the 3773 code
find the hidden code? I entered 3774 and the screen changed to the
following: In the left botton corner appeared the letters "Pr" just
above the letters "on" and on the right the number "1".
I was to chicken to change the number, but clearly there are other
codes hidden in the controller. Maybe some anonymous but friendly
Bionx engineer is reading this and would like to help his customers
customize their bikes."
Have you read this before?

Yes, Alain was the person, who sent e-mail to us as well. It was not so helpful. I am really curious what is going to be happen. It seems no other solution but change the console. Really sorry to hear that specially because it was not an accident to use code 5000 but necesarry because I had problem with auto assist earlier. :(

Let me know how is going!
Thank you!
Timi

CDinFrance

Do I understand correctly that all of the firmware programming is in the handlebar mounted controller?

In Europe there are 2009 models with firmware 3.2 where the max speed code can be unlocked, and later models with Eu3.4 where it is no longer possible. Does changing the console on the handlebar change the firmware, or is it programmed somewhere else like the battery case or even in the motor itself?

ashby3
ashby3's picture

This is just based on my own experience I do not have any official information.
I have two 350PL systems one with a 20" wheel on my trike and one with a 26" wheel on my LWB recumbent. I have use both batteries with both system and the programing in the console does not change regardless of which battery I use.
I am pretty sure the electronic in the battery box is just a BMS - Battery Management System - is what I believe it stands for at any rate a BMS regulated the charge and discharge rate of the battery - these types of batteries must stay within certain charge and discharge rates and currents to avoid being damaged.
I have seem cutaway views of the motors and there just isn't any or really any room for a computer board.

Both my 350PL are pre-2009 - I was told by a Bionx engineer that the only part compatible between the per-2009 and the 2009 system is the battery rail and plug. He said the console, motor and battery were all different and not interchangeable.

Ashby

vancamp

I don't know if it will help in your case, but there is a guide to (hacking) the BionX console here... http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=896

Bbbashful

I talked to Alain Marchand a while back and I was not really impressed, disappointed is more like it.

http://www.ebikeriders.com/messages/boards/thread/7544911

The new 2009 BionX kits have a different software program from the earlier versions. When my console broke, I had to wait for a new 2009 as they are not interchangeable with older consoles. The programming numbers are different from one software version to the next. The bulk of the software programming is NOT in the console. It's in the battery case along with the batteries.

I know that the service and even delivery of product is a bit of a mess right now but I'm confident that things will improve soon. There are so many changes going on right now with Magna taking over, it's difficult to find out what is happening.

http://www.ebikeriders.com/messages/boards/thread/7422480

ItsElectric

Perhaps, I can assist by providing some explanation. I just took a holiday and travel in west coast and met up with all the top Bionx dealers in the country. Some of information I already knew, other I got information here and there from each dealers.

Before 2009, all bionx system were base a communication protocol call IC2. This communication had some problem, it can't handle very long cable. Otherwise it will lose the communication. A good example if you have very long recumbent bike frame, this could be problem. After 2009, all Bionx system had changed to CAN-bus protocol. The changes will affect the battery, motor and console. The wire and the mounting system stay the same. So you can't mix a pre-2009 battery with 2009 motor. It just doesn't work.

In pre-2009 model, you can use reset code 5000, it will reset back to factory default setting. After 2009, if you use reset code 5000, this is a "no no", it will reset to testing mode, I believe it change to Europe model. You will notice that the throttle will no longer working, because the European version doesn't had throttle. You will also notice the speed limit lock down to 25km/h. In North America version the speed limit is 32km/h. After you reset code 5000 on 2009 model, you are completely lock down. There are no way to reset it back. Unless you have a special console that had a USB cable built-in, you will also need the software to reset it together with the battery and the motor. I am still not 100% sure where the setting is being store, I believe it may be the battery. With the software you can reset to any country version. Anyway, this special console can only be obtain from Bionx. Out of all the dealers that I visited, only one dealer knew about this.

We also spent a lot of time try figure why we couldn't change differ type of lithium battery. It happen that Bionx system will allow the bionx battery (made by sony) to be overcharge. When you change the battery to standard lithium battery with BMS. The BMS will refuse to be overcharge, when this happen the lithium battery will shut down. Since the regen is still producing current, it will just blow the circult board. So we spent a few months of reverse-engineer and trace out all the chipset of the battery system and the console. We have made some modification, one of them is to put a twist throttle. Anyway, this is long story which I will post it on another topic.

Ken
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

web site: http://us.itselectric.ca
YouTube site: http://www.youtube.com/PowerInMotion

kilowhat

I also have mistakenly entered code 5000 on my 2009 Bionx PL350 . I have the CAN-BUS setup with rev. 3.8 . I have ordered another console. I will let you know the outcome. Thanks, kilowhat

kilowhat

kilowhat

I installed the new console. The throttle is working and the console is accepting program changes using the codes. Thank you all, kilowhat.

kilowhat

kilowhat

The replacement console works and is programmable, except- now the max. speed is 25 k/h. It is also the readout using code 3773. Note: with code 3773 turned off, the motor starts to shudder/generate at high speed; dangerous, so I leave on. How do I reset back to 32 k/h? Any comment would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, kilowhat.

kilowhat

kosherrav

Code 3774 is Power Regeneration. Must be on=1 for regen to work.

kosherrav

Changing Speed Limit From 25km/h to Max for Your Motor

I've got a PL500 Rev 4.0 with the mandatory European speed limit of 25km/h. I live in the USA. Code 3773 is set in the ROM to 1 and can't be turned off to 0.

The work around by my dealer is: Program wheel size in code 3771 to 1300mm. This fools the computer into thinking bike is going slower. Result, in my case, is bike now goes 27.4 mph as designed. Only draw back is console speed, ave. speed and distance will be inaccurate. Buy a $9, 12 function Schwinn bike computer from Wallmart for the speed and distance readouts. Try that code 3771 change. It should work for you and get your top speed back to what it originally was.

timeamodos

Hello Aramas!

Did you solve the problem?
I could. I bought new controller console from nycewheels (http://www.nycewheels.com/bionx-parts-oem.html)and everything is working like at first even the speed limit. I mean I have normal speed limit (19 mph).

Good Luck
Timi

Canis-Lupus

This is a sad thread for BionX owners.

Firstly, how could a company leave open the possibility of this going wrong with the 5000 code and then expect the customer to pay $200 for a new console as repair when there is nothing really wrong with the old console, except their own software design incompetence. It is totally unnecessary. The problem should not be allowed to arise in the first place through proper programming with their system. They certainly should not be expecting the customer to pick up the tab.

Secondly, those customers who have the pre-2009 must be wondering how much longer BionX is going to support the older system. Given the incompatibility of the two systems and also the need to change batteries, will customers of the older system be expected to shell out money for new motor and controller, when BionX no longer replace the older type of batteries whether that is because of cells being worn out or a malfunction? One of the selling points of the BionX system has always been the low maintenance and longevity of the hub motor. Let's hope the duration of its use is not effected by planned redundancy.

Thirdly, with the new system, it appears BionX is not allowing their customers to use their systems in different continents. If you buy in the US, you can't make your system legally compliant in Europe. If you buy in Europe, you can't take advantage of the more liberal laws in the US. I can only think this has been caused by the taking of some piss poor legal advice more concerned with covering their own asses as lawyers and BionX's, rather than thinking about the consumer. The thinking appears to be concerned with possible liability issues, afraid that users will thwart local laws by programming the system for maximum performance rather than legal compliance. Honestly, BionX please get some proper legal advice rather than the ass covering at all costs type. Next your lawyers will be advising you not to sell any kits in order to avoid possible legal claims. The only thing that is probably stopping the ass covering lawyers from telling BionX that is their need for BionX to pay their legal fees. Otherwise they probably would as the complete assurance against any possible legal claim.

BionX are control freaks, and pretty inconsiderate ones to boot. It's a pity that a good system in design is being spoiled by some fairly self-centred and closed minded thinking somewhere along the line.

G Pelletier

Hi everybody,
This is my first post on the subject and I hope that it will get saved
I am sendind you the full instruction set to set-up your Bion_X bike.
I got this info from various locations and some of the info is redundant.
So, extract what will be of used to you.

NEW BIONX SYSTEM CONSOLE CONFIGURATION GUIDE

To enter the access section you push on MODE and CHRONO in same time.

2001: KM or Miles
2002: Generative Breaking
2003: Time last with the battery
2004: Clock
2005: Wheel size
2006: Programming brake sensor
2007: Polarity throttle (0-5volt or 5-0volt)

3771: wheel size
3772: diagnostic mode
3773: max speed (Speed limit set ON/OFF)
3775: throttle max speed
3776: Speed that motor will start (default 3 km)
5000: Full reset (don't use)
1976: motor direction (don't use)
1234: sensor speed signal; 1= slow 5= fast
1970: Configuration activation backlight ad DCDC automatic
0007: Sensor signal gain, 0.1 to 4.0
0008: Configuration of extra assistance 1.0 to 4.0, increase this value and the system will output more assistance per
pedal peddle effort.
0041: activation of the I2C (don't use)

THROTTLE ENABLE PROCEDURE

If your Bionx has a thumb throttle and for some reason it no longer works, like using menu code #5000 (full reset), here's how you get the thumb throttle back:
1 - Start your Bionx like you normally do.
2 - Press and hold the MODE and -G buttons for 2 seconds.
3 - A countdown will start. During the countdown, press and hold the thumb throttle all the way down.
4 - When countdown reaches 0, release throttle.
5 - Press Mode button again to shut down the system. This will save your settings.
6 - Turn the system back on and test the throttle to make sure it still works.

Initial Setup

Throttle
Turn on system
Press Mode and -G for 2 seconds
During countdown, press throttle lever all the way down
Once throttle reaches 0 , release throttle
Turn off system

Choose PIN
Press and hold +A and -G for 2 seconds
Using +A and -G keys, choose digits
Press Mode to select digit and move to next digit

Configure menus
Press and hold Mode and Chrono buttons for 2 seconds to get into menu system.
Use +A and -G to set each digit and press Mode to go to next digit
Use +A and -G to select options for each menu
Some menus have extra options which can be selected with Chrono button
Press Mode button to save changes and exit programming menu
Proposed set-up, some of these setting will give you some unexpected responses
Be carefull and only change one existing parameter at the time. Try it before proceeding
with the next change.
Before you change anything, write down the existing values,
0007 : Set to 3.0 (1-4)
0008 : Set "A" to 4.0, Set "B" to 1.0-25
1234 : Sensor speed signal , set to 4
1970 : Configuration backlight. Set to OFF
1976 : Motor direction. Set to 1 (forward)
2001 : Set to km/h
2002 : Generative braking, set to max (64)
2003 : Activate battery remain display (toggle)
2004 : Set the clock to current time
2005 : Set wheel size to 2199 (700mm)
2006 : Brake sensor, set to ON
2007 : Polarity throttle, set to 0
3771 : Set wheel size to 2199 (wheels of 700mm)
3773 : Max speed (assist), set to OFF
3774 : PR ? set to ON
3775 : Max speed (throttle) , set to OFF
3776 : Speed motor will start, set to OFF
3779 : Time and Distance remaining display, activate if not active already.

Useful settings

Menu code 5000 to reset console
Menu code 3772 to set console to diagnostic mode
Menu code 0041 to activate 12C. Unknown setting
Press and hold Mode for 5 cycles of backlight toggles to reset battery. Will beep rapidly when reset.
Hold Mode button 2 seconds for backlight
Press Chrono and +A or -G to set display contrast
Press Chrono to select display type. Hold Chrono 2 seconds to reset data
Press and hold Mode and +A to arm alarm
NEW BIONX SYSTEM CONSOLE CONFIGURATION GUIDE

To enter the access section you push on MODE and CHRONO in same time.

Notes:

Edit: Revised values for setting 0007 and 0008. I've found that 1.0 for menu 0007 is too low and the controller often doesn't detect the cyclist pedaling.
Setting to 3.0 will allow the controller to detect the cyclist earlier and be more sensitive to changes in cyclist torque output. (Not clear on what it should be set, try it out )

=======================================================================

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=896

THROTTLE ENABLE PROCEDURE

If your Bionx has a thumb throttle and for some reason it no longer works, like using menu code #5000 (full reset), here's how you get the thumb throttle back:

1 - Start your Bionx like you normally do.
2 - Press and hold the MODE and -G buttons for 2 seconds.
3 - A countdown will start. During the countdown, press and hold the thumb throttle all the way down.
4 - When countdown reaches 0, release throttle.
5 - Press Mode button again to shut down the system. This will save your settings.
6 - Turn the system back on and test the throttle to make sure it still works.

My own personal settings. After I do a full reset, menu code 5000, I follow this list to set my PL350 back to my personal preferences. This is the way I like mine to be. I don't want the system to hold back, I like it to give full power at all speeds. My reasoning is simple: If you don't like the thumb throttle, don't use it; if you think assist 4 is too much, then lower it. You decide.

I use a PL350 ( 350W motor with 36V Li-Ion battery) on a mountain bike with 26" wheels. My firmware is Rev:2.3

Initial Setup

Throttle
Turn on system
Press Mode and -G for 2 seconds
During countdown, press throttle lever all the way down
Once throttle reaches 0 , release throttle
Turn off system

Choose PIN
Press and hold +A and -G for 2 seconds
Using +A and -G keys, choose digits
Press Mode to select digit and move to next digit

Edit: Revised values for setting 0007 and 0008. I've found that 1.0 for menu 0007 is too low and the controller often doesn't detect the cyclist pedaling.
Setting to 3.0 will allow the controller to detect the cyclist earlier and be more sensitive to changes in cyclist torque output.

Diagnostic mode (menu 3772) allowed me to find that the "B" option on menu 0008 is best to be set to 1.0 rather than 25.0.
I think this is the speed where the extra assistance kicks in.
If this is the case, it's probably better to have it kick in at a lower speed since you're not likely to be climbing a steep hill at 25 km/h.
I also noticed the assist power (upper left digits in diagnostic mode) were higher with the 1.0 value and seemed to climb faster from a complete stop.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07

Support V is for Voltage