wet bike software problems

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
chris
wet bike software problems

Hi

Has anyone had a software problem hanging and not responding when the bike is wet.

Any thoughts on where the water can cause problems?

how do you do a hard reboot?

undead
Re: wet bike software problems

I have not had a problem to the extent that I have had to reboot the bike, and I have ridden it / left it out in some horrendous rain and weather.

However shortly after the fuse went back at 2000 milesodd, I was asked if the bike was left in the open all the time (at the time it was garaged overnight) - so maybe there is some design flaw that allows moisture in that they know about?

Maybe more will become clear as time goes on...

tom5007

So far I had some pretty horrible rides in heavy rain and no such thing like SW issues came up. I park my bike outside (but under a rain cover). So I guess it is exposed to moist conditions (unfortunately the regular case here in the UK). But still no isses. The bike is more than a year old, latest SW, no fuse issues and almost 7000miles on the clock.

Norman

undead

So far I had some pretty horrible rides in heavy rain and no such thing like SW issues came up. I park my bike outside (but under a rain cover). So I guess it is exposed to moist conditions (unfortunately the regular case here in the UK). But still no isses. The bike is more than a year old, latest SW, no fuse issues and almost 7000miles on the clock.

Norman

7000 MILES???

I thought I was doing well at just over a year and 4200ish! Gives me faith that mine may go on a bit longer then :)

tom5007

Norman

7000 MILES???

I thought I was doing well at just over a year and 4200ish! Gives me faith that mine may go on a bit longer then :)

At the beginning I had a couple of problems too. Mainly down to bad temperature sensors and battery connections (at least that is what Vectrix told me). All this was covered last year and since then it's just a pleasure using the bike. Besides the change of behaviour after the software upgrade I could not yet see any deteration of battery capacity other than the one caused by temperature (winter <> summer).

Paul

Well Chris, I think I have had 3 instances of 'wet day, software hang-up'.
The first time, about 12 months ago, resulted in flashing warning lights only. Bike had about 2000kM on it. No effect on bike's performance. all good.
Second time was a complete software lockup one Friday which meant a weekend holiday for the V at work. Hard re-boot required on Monday morning.

A hard re-boot is the disconnection and re-connection of the big Anderson plug on top of the front battery. Takes a little while to remove panels and battery covers etc and is possibly detrimental to main fuse life if not done properly. See Mik's postings on the matter in the Collaborative Handbook.

The third time was yesterday and prevented charging so the V had another holiday inside the building at work overnight. This morning when everything was nice and warm at 18 degrees C, all the warning lights had reset and charging worked as it should. No hard re-boot required this time. Bike clicked over 11000kM today.

In conclusion, all instances of software lockup were on wet days after the V spent the day under cover but not actually in the rain except for the trip in to work, 21.7kM.

So was it all the same thing? Not sure.
Pain in the ass? Yep.
Hard re-boot required every time? No, but a chance for the V to dry out and warm up seems to help.
By the way, I have had many panels off the V, front panels, side panels, batteries out etc and no evidence of corrosion, deposits or any other simptom of excessive moisture in the innards.
I hate intermittent faults!!!!

Paul

chris

Thanks Chaps for the replys

My wet problems started recently I have 3400 miles of trouble free use to date and the symptoms were a computer hang. The display on the clocks were illuminated but nothing else worked the key refused to switch off and the bike would not accept a charge. The Bike had been left out in very heavy rain and had been used in heavy rain. The only item to work was the rear brake light. The bike took about a week to either dry out or reboot itself.

A few days later again in wet weather there was a similar fault however the next morning the bike was as normal.

I ride in all weathers and leave the bike out in the rain at work as well as at home except when I have the bike on charge. I have not disturbed any of the covers.

I have taken to using a cover but I am concerned with having the bike heat up under the cover. As you can understand the UK is not a place for a non waterproof electric bike.

Chris

undead

I charge mine outside with a cover, just make sure you only take the front part of hte cover down to just above the intake vents around the headlight - cover those and you will cook it!

NJSteve

The manual says not to get the key switch wet. Chris based on what you said your symptoms are, it sounds like water shorted out your key switch. Maybe a suggestion, to those people that let their bike get wet, would be to devise some sort of waterproof cover for the key switch since it is so exposed to rain, etc.

Paul

Have a look for corrosion on the front battery management card.

Paul

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage