Infinite Range Schwinn with Lifepo

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
awilensky
awilensky's picture
Infinite Range Schwinn with Lifepo

I thought I would update the community on my Duct Tape 36V 15AH batt Lifepo from Kan Mau Li. You may recall that I got the battery and it would not move the scoot. It would blip and shut down. The folks here said best guess was that the load side of the BMS was limiting current. My thoughts were that the BMS load limiting was way too conservative, because my current readings before the swap were no where near the batteries rated current, even considering transient starting peaks. The Currie motor and controller never draws more than 12 amps average, and the biggest hill never causes more than 20A and even that levels out to an average 17A uphill.

So, thanks to the excellent advice by Andy at Falcon EV, I just moved the BMS load common to the batt neg. Viola. Works great. The news is the range. I can't ride the scoot far enough to scrub the volts off. Only once did the LVC (controller managed) cut off at 32-33 V. No damage done. As a matter of fact, the pack's voltage is getting higher at the end of every charge cycle (4-5 cycles at this point, most at about the 40% DOD, 2 at 65% or more it seems as a guess).

The fresh off the charger volts have been around 43V/ each charge cycle gives me another 0.1- 0.2V, which I expect will even out at 44.00. The scoot really cruises and the volts pretty much hold up up the speed. The first 10 miles are like wow! The radar sign here says "18MPH". Wow.

I have run it on a 15 mile loop and I still have 37 volts! Of course, the first 30% of charge really lasts, and then, once you get to 37-36, you start really using it up.

I'll bet this thing is good for 17-20 level miles.

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Infinite Range Schwinn with Lifepo

Not 'infinite' but definitely 'effectively infinite'.

I had similar results with the 36v15ah pingbattery pack I bought last year. In that case the controller doesn't draw enough to trip the BMS current limit unless I hit the throttle real hard. Anyway the longest range on that bicycle was 20 miles and I stopped only because my butt was sore.

Old_Scoot
Re: Infinite Range Schwinn with Lifepo

Congrats on getting it going.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage