Replacing Bionx Battery Pack (DIY?)

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
bxcycleman
Replacing Bionx Battery Pack (DIY?)

I have a Bionx system, with a 250w NiMH which has a package of 20 cells, Just want an opinion if I can get new cells to put back into the old system, other than via Bionx. I may be out of beans to do it myself.
If possible (using the smart charger?) I'd like to know how.. maybe getting the exact battery, though they may have a license to use according to their design.Is there an alternate route here?
Thanks, bxcycleman.

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Replacing Bionx Battery Pack (DIY?)

I've never gotten to see one in person.. but anyway, they use a box for the batteries. Can you open the box?? If so it should be pretty straightforward to replace the cells with new ones of the same size/chemistry.

bxcycleman

thanks for the reply. I opened the box and disco'd the battery. It's 20 cells in series. No maker listed, and no spec listed on the cells. So I need help determining what the replacements would be.

reikiman
reikiman's picture

No numbers at all on the cells? That may not matter however.

According to bionx.ca they use either NiMH or Li-MN cells. Cells of both those chemistries are pretty readily available and it's relatively easy to tell them apart. With 20 cells total my guess is you have a NiMH pack because NIMH cells are 1.2 volts and with 20 in series that would be 24 volts.

BatterySpace.com - batteries is one such company that sells NiMH cells (and Li-MN as well) and you can compare cell sizes to figure out which specific cell you need. It's possible they can set you up.

Are these cells bonded together in any way? Such as spot welded tabs?

bxcycleman

yes. tabs,~6 spot welds each connect. The whole pack (7+6+7- stacked) is paper wrapped.the wrap has great adhesive. reminds me of flypaper~, all paper pieces cut to size to cover every connection with this adhesive cover. tho' I wrecked the oversheath of plastic on the pack everything was tightly wrapped, nothing blew apart.A plastic oversheath seems easy to duplicate.
I'll check these sources. Since I have the package, I might get lucky on the first trip.

matisamd

Hiya first post here, but as this forum helped i thought i'd post here. If you want to add any battery you can simply cut the wires from the cells red and black to the circyut board put connectors ( say a male connector ) on the wires to the circuit board and a female on the internal bionX battery, make a hole in the case have these two plugs outside the case then you can either plug in the internal battery or add any other battery the same way, i have done this and tested with my external lif4po ( 24v 10ah ie same voltage as bionx) battery i had from another kit.

I see there is a place ware you send your bionX battery in and they mod it but the mod is as easy as changing a plug and making a hole in platic ( i used old soldering iron outside ).

I did the mod at 2am last night after a drink or two and now just got back in after a 5 mile ride it all works. very happy getting happier lol ;)

what that of course means is you can more then likely swap the internal cells as long as there happy to be recharged the same way as the cells your replacing, if not then you can do the mod like i did and use the external battery connector to recharge.

Anyway hope this info helps someone :D

Monkey see, monkey do, so get the monkey to do it.

lucotter

did you replace you cells?
I'v been looking around and found several possibilities 0f PACK (24v ) that fit in the BIONX box - made out of D cell size NIMH batteries.
Good thing is it will be WAY cheaper than going to BIONX - and the packs are available at 9, 10 and even 12 Amp ...
so un to 50% more energy..
price varies from 185$ to 380 $ shipped !
so my question is : is it as simple as it seems..?
did someone do it ?
(i'm not talking about adding extaernal batteries for the BIONX - I like the compact size and portability of battery...
I want to replace the old cells - that's all...
thanks for sharing your experiences.!
luco

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage