New member bout to get first electric scooter

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
jameslwalker
New member bout to get first electric scooter

Hi all my name is James, I live in Seattle, and as i write this intro I am having built for me a custom electric scooter model ZEV5700 from a company called Z Electric Vehicle Corporation. I went to there site and was really impressed with how much power and range that they get from these scooters, and the high performance components that are used to build them, that and the fact that its made in the US. I beleive only the frames come from China. Since its a custom build I think I'll take delivery of towards the middle of Oct. but I am really excited to put to the test. So if any of you want to welcome me aboard that would be great, and also any insight as to making the leap to electric transportation would be helpful also.

Until next time

knabo
knabo's picture
Re: New member bout to get first electric scooter

They have alot of good comparative information on that site. Plus an interesting set of specifications. I will have to compare them to the other companies that are selling bikes using that same frame.

Welcome to the forums.

We all will expect details about the scooter when you get it.

Luther Burrell, Mesa, Arizona, USA
Rides: ZuumCraft from zuumcraft.com
Previous Rides: Blue Vectrix Maxi scooter

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Welcome James. Let us know how you like your bike when you get it. You say you're getting a "custom built" "5700". What's special about your bike compared to the others?

One thing I couldn't find on their site was specs on the battery pack - either voltage, Ah, or kWh. Do you have those specs? Or can you point me to them on their site?

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

TDA121
TDA121's picture

Welcome!
The most important advice is to look for some reports from actual owners of the vehicles being advertised.
If you cannot find any confirmation of adverised specs, then treat them with extreme caution.
Don't just believe anything.
Sometimes dealers even sign up disguised as a buyer! ;-)

myocardia

Hi James, welcome to the forums. Is this a local (to Seattle) company? When you receive your scooter, give us a review of it. There are so many scooter manufacturers, it's getting hard just to remember all of their names, much less remember their performance characteristics. Or is it just me?:)

knabo
knabo's picture

I am assuming the 5700 is their 7000 watt model. Do you have any more information on its specs? Range, speed etc?

Luther Burrell, Mesa, Arizona, USA
Rides: ZuumCraft from zuumcraft.com
Previous Rides: Blue Vectrix Maxi scooter

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

I was curious about these bikes - so I sent a message via their website and got a prompt reply:

Mr. Harding,

Your questions:

The 5100 watt bike is a 72 Volt nominal system. The batteries used are 40 Ah. Thunder Sky. 24 batteries.

The ZEV5900 can be had with two different motors and controller combinations. One is 72 volt with 100 amp and runs a little slower at 74 mph. The 2nd version is 84 volts. Both use 40 Ah batteries with 24 and 28 batteries respectively.

The 8,000 through 9,000 watt bikes can run up to 108 volts

We have a shop in Morgantown, WV now for the special bikes. Standard bikes are done in Waynesburg, Pa. Swing arms and frame components are made in Tulsa Oklahoma and Morgantown, WV.

Interested in building something special.

DH Zehrbach

original-email

Hi,

I'd like to know the capacity and voltage of the battery pack on your ZEV5100 and the special order ZEV5900 (with 78mph top speed).

Also, I'm curious where in the US are the bikes assembled?

Thanks,
John Harding.

It appears that ZEV Corp is owned and operated by a forum member - so hopefully he'll drop by this thread.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

dzehrbach

Several forum members have emailed Z Electric Vehicle. James' bike is a dual controller, "5700" watt bike. (actual output power over 6,000 watts.) 72 volts. 3 speed electronic transmission that lets the rider vary the amps. The 6 speed version may end up on James Bike.

Most "manufacturers" of the bikes the forum owners have are not manufacturers. They are usually some chinese bike they have brand named a Chinese bike. Check the Vin. If it starts with a L its Chinese. Even in China the Manufacturers are really assemblers of parts that fit like a big kit. Our company is a spin off of our engineering business. We get hired to solve the problems of other companies and to design EV. So we see the warranty claims, fried controllers, fried motors, broken frames, corrosion, broken kickstands, puny brakes, etc. After you do that for about 2 years you say why doesn't anyone fix this stuff and make it right? The Chinese do not care. Once the ink is dry on your check they do not know you unless you come back for more. We try to do it all right. God lives in the details. We cannot make things cheaper than the Chinese, but we sure can make them better, faster, and longer lived.

Some of you wrote that if you cannot find lots of press on the brand buyer beware. Looks like reading the comments on this site about brands that all of the comments are negative on all of the brands. We prefer the silence of non disgruntled customers.

I am off to China Sunday to run quality control oversight on parts batches for a month and to abuse our prototype electric motorcycle to see if I can break it.

DH Zehrbach
ZEV Chief Engineer.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Several forum members have emailed Z Electric Vehicle. James' bike is a dual controller, "5700" watt bike. (actual output power over 6,000 watts.) 72 volts. 3 speed electronic transmission that lets the rider vary the amps. The 6 speed version may end up on James Bike.

Thanks for posting! The two things that stand out most about your bikes are the 3 speed transmission and the oil bath for cooling the motors. Very interesting. Can you tell us more? Or do we need to wait for James to get his bike and then begin pestering him with questions? ;-) I mean no disrespect at all - I am genuinely interested in the competition. Is your transmission mechanical gearing or is it achieved by altering the motor field dynamics? How is the oil bath achieved? Does the oil bath introduce noticeable drag?

Most "manufacturers" of the bikes the forum owners have are not manufacturers. They are usually some chinese bike they have brand named a Chinese bike. Check the Vin. If it starts with a L its Chinese. Even in China the Manufacturers are really assemblers of parts that fit like a big kit. Our company is a spin off of our engineering business. We get hired to solve the problems of other companies and to design EV. So we see the warranty claims, fried controllers, fried motors, broken frames, corrosion, broken kickstands, puny brakes, etc. After you do that for about 2 years you say why doesn't anyone fix this stuff and make it right? The Chinese do not care. Once the ink is dry on your check they do not know you unless you come back for more. We try to do it all right. God lives in the details. We cannot make things cheaper than the Chinese, but we sure can make them better, faster, and longer lived.

Very similar to why my partners and I started up (we too are a bona-fide US manufacturer registered with VIN and EPA certificate). However, I note that you appear to have chosen the same style of frame as most of the competitor bikes that you and I will compete against. We ended up choosing a different frame - not just to be different, but we think it rides better. Is there a reason you stuck with that frame?

I realize you may prefer not to answer any of these questions - after all they do represent inside information on your product. However, I hope you can find your way to sharing some info with us.

I look forward to some healthy competition! ;-)

Good luck in your venture - may you have many happy customers (silent or otherwise).

James - thanks for starting this thread - and I hope you enjoy your bike. Sorry if it appears to have been "hijacked" but the chance to talk directly to manufacturers is always a great thing.

jameslwalker

Yeah I was gonna give it the real world rundown, and post my views on it. But I already know that its gonna RULE. I say this for the fact that I am a Non-Destructive Inspector and all the things that they talk about on their site as far as the inherent problems associated with electric scooters are stuff that I work around i.e. corrosion, heat disappation, etc... So yeah thats about it for now.

Later on

jameslwalker

Heres an update for you all. It looks like my scooter is all boxed up and ready to ship out to me on Monday, which means I should recieve before the new year. YAY Saw final assembly pics of it on an airport tarmac and it looked friggin SWEET! I can't wait to ride it, though living in Seattle it was neccessary for me to buy all season riding gear. I was not looking to do too much bite ass cold riding but i'm definately gonna put it to the test on some mild days after I get it seeing as how its not quite winter yet. Oh and with it being a little behind schedule as for its delivery those guys were nice enough to throw in a nice luggage box as a thank you. Pretty cool huh? I am kinda dreading the titling and registration process though but I think a couple of people already have Tesla Roadsters in Washington so hopefully DMV has there stuff together as far as EV's go. So, sorry about the delay and I will post again soon, and try to figure out how to post pics on here also. Peace out and keep those wires uncrossed!!! hahahaha late

marylandbob

Don't get me wrong, I agree that "E-bikes" can be effective transportation in some cases, but for many of my trips around and into the Washington, D.C. area, they will not do the job, due to limited speed and cargo capacity. I work as a broadcast engineer, maintaining and repairing TV and radio broadcasting transmitters. ( live 10 to 15 miles from most of the locations, and when trouble occurs, response time is MONEY and important!)
My VECTRIX can keep up with traffic, at or above the speed limit, and has an enclosed cargo area under the seat, as well as a rear luggage box, to transport tools/parts safely, even over bumps in the rain. Bicycle type vehicles generally do not have front and rear hydraulic shock absorbers, so test equipment would be more likely to suffer damage. Travel time would be 50 to 100% longer on most trips, using an E-bike, and obeying traffic laws. (I say "Obeying traffic laws" as I frequently see idiots that run stoplights, illegally ride on sidewalks, disregard stop signs, and operate at night without legally required head and tail lights! In Washington, D.C riding on the sidewalk is ILLEGAL for those over 11 years old, and proper lighting and obeying traffic signals is required of ALL vehicles in Maryland, Virginia, Washington, D.C. and most every USA state. It borders on suicide to attempt to ride any small vehicle, especially 2 wheel type, in bad winter weather around/in the washington, D.C. area, due to the extreme mix of drivers from other areas that are unfamiliar with the area, many have never before experienced snow or icy roads, and seem not to fully understand USA traffic laws. In addition, rush hour traffic moves at 35 to 45 mph if conditions permit in the city, and slower vehicles may get crowded off the road! To this you must add the fact that lightweight vehicles are easily stolen, as one or two crooks can easily load them into a truck and drive off-not so easy with my 950 pound, 6 cylinder HONDA Goldwing motorcycle and its 200 pound trailer! (Or the 512 pound VECTRIX scooter) As far as food goes, I started excercising in high school, and still continue, and although I am almost 63 yeasrs old, I am 5' 9" with a MUSCULAR 185 pound body, and a 33 inch waist. I can deadlift over 400 pounds, leg press over 500 pounds, one arm curl over 60 pounds, and bench press over 200 pounds, even with a damaged elbow and left knee. Most people that see me think I am at least 20 years younger, and I do NOT wish to lose any weight. (Yes, I still ride my 10 speed bicycle, but not inrush hour traffic, and usually only in GOOD weather.)-Bob

Robert M. Curry

antiscab

bob i seem to have lost you here - the other guys are talking about bikes that are faster than the vectrix, but you posted complaining about low speed e-bikes. was that post meant for this thread?

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

marylandbob

No, I posted to the wrong thread, sorry about that, and thanks for alerting me! What I posted was in reference to electrically assisted and/or powered BICYCLES, which usually cannot maintain 30 MPH up a moderate hill.-Bob

Robert M. Curry

Gusset

Say, James, any updates on this? I'd love to see some photos of the bike, as well as perhaps a pic or two of a rider on it (with the rider's height) to get an idea how well a taller rider might fit on it.

randalson

Hey there! Are you alive and real? Tell us more about the ZEV experience!

Googling people to see what you find is your friend.

jameslwalker

Ok guys, I know have not been on for a bit, but I just got back to work shortly after I got my ZEV, that and the weather up here was not really allowing too much ride time, that and I travel alot for my work. So now that i have 431km on the ODO I think I can do a quick run down of my ZEV. Let me start by saying that this thing GETS UP AND GOES! Acceleration startled me for the first time I took it out on the road, as it took me a while to get used to the throttle. This thing is a blast when I am out around town with stop lights and such. So far as far as top speed is concerned I have topped out at 65mph going down hwy 405 up here which runs along intst 5 here in Seattle. Needless to say I felt comfortable getting on a hwy and felt solid going that fast on the bike. As far as range goes I was able to make it from my apt in Lynnwood to a city to the north called Marysville. I took a back way to it going up hwy 9 and total trip distance up there was 54km which I think calculates out to 32-35 miles I think. Also that was at speeds of 50-60 mph for most of the trip with a few stops along the way. When I got up there I forgot to time the charge up time but I think it was around 2-3 hrs. I also was not sure how low my batts were, but I still was able to climb hills and go all out when I got there, so I still had some life in them. Well, thats all you get for now, as I gotta work in the morn. Oh and to let you all know I am 5' 11" and 175 lbs, to give you a frame reference. My next post will be on build quality and materials and also how I want to swap to LED lights, and stuff. Until next time, and no I won't lag.

Later on

Gusset

Thanks for the update, James. I'm looking forward to hearing more, as I've got my eye on this manufacturer...I like some of the design approaches they have taken. Please keep it coming!

Regarding your top speed runs, do you have any idea as to the accuracy of the speedometer on the bike?

Thanks, and keep it up...safe bet that you've got a lot of people reading your impressions!

-Victor

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage