EVs in altitude

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
rewski
EVs in altitude

Just wanted to start up a fresh discussion...all this Vectrix bankruptcy stuff starts to become a bit of a downer. One thing I have never seen a topic posted on is in regards to EVs in altitude. I say this because living in Denver ICE cars/scooters/motorcycles definitely take a hit in the performance department due to the lack of O2 in this environment. One of the nicest features of an EV, like the Vectrix, is that it has the same performance weather at sea level or at 15000 feet. I had a 50cc scooter prior to getting the Vectrix and did it ever suffer in the mile high city of Denver, CO. Anybody else have experience with their Vectrix in altitude and care to discuss about it?

marylandbob
Re: EVs in altitude

The thing to be concerned with at high altitudes, typically above 10,000 feet, is that due to the less dense air, COOLING fans and heatsinks become less effective, so overheating of components (motor, controller, batteries) may be a problem on a hot day. (Luckily, temperatures are usually lower at such altitudes, but beware of heat from direct sunlight!)Also, if charging at high altitude, the effective pressure differential of the inside vs outside of the battery cells may increase, increasing possibility of cell venting.-Bob Curry

Robert M. Curry

marcopolo

Also, if charging at high altitude, the effective pressure differential of the inside vs outside of the battery cells may increase, increasing possibility of cell venting.-Bob Curry

Would there be any difference between nickel hydride and Lithium ?

marcopolo

magpie

Don't have anything intelligent to add, but I too live here in the Mile High Metropolis, and am a proud owner of a 2008 VX-1. I wonder if we're the only two people in Denver with a Vectrix? Did you buy yours at Sportique, or somewhere else? Last I spoke with them, they had only sold one of their four. I got mine in CO Springs, after Vectrix indicated they'd file for bankruptcy. Any thoughts on what we can do for repairs/maintenance? I'm also interested in getting a center stand if I can.

rewski

Don't have anything intelligent to add, but I too live here in the Mile High Metropolis, and am a proud owner of a 2008 VX-1. I wonder if we're the only two people in Denver with a Vectrix? Did you buy yours at Sportique, or somewhere else? Last I spoke with them, they had only sold one of their four. I got mine in CO Springs, after Vectrix indicated they'd file for bankruptcy. Any thoughts on what we can do for repairs/maintenance? I'm also interested in getting a center stand if I can.

You know, I actually saw a burgundy vectrix on the road in Denver a few weeks before I got mine...was that you? I got mine barely used from an eBay sale. Mine is an '07 and it was a bit of an ordeal to get it registered in CO because of the '07 VIN problem. But I got it titled...it took a letter directly from Vectrix to DMV! I got the new firmware installed at Colorado Powersports a couple of months ago, but now they are not listed as a dealer. They also had an '08 in their showroom. My understanding is that Sportique is the only "dealer" left in Denver. I have yet to need their services, but that is who I will call on if and when I do. I'll keep an eye out for you on the road!

Adam - Denver, CO
2007 Vectrix VX-1 charged with the power of the sun = zero carbon footprint

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage