Sometimes does not start charging

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
undead
Sometimes does not start charging

Vectrix is still running very well, nearly passed 5000 miles now on original battery!

I do get the **very** occasional canbus error, and my ENCODR fault has disappeared since the heatwave went (not sure why! will need to check for dust in the encoder housing at some point!)

However, intermittant problem that happens occasionally -

Irrespective of whether the bike is hot, cold, wet, dry, just been ridden before charging / left overnight - sometimes when the bike is plugged in to charge, it does its sweep then goes blank and will not start charging, I have left it up to an hour before and it just stays dead. Its an easy fix, if the fans dont start running or if it doesnt start charging after the sweep, I just unplug and plug it in again, and it usually starts charging.

Anyone else have this issue,? happy to accept it as a "quirk" if its normal

Only happened since new firmware update a few months ago

Cheers

Undead

tom5007
Re: Sometimes does not start charging

I would check if your left or right break might have been activated (shortcut?) while the bike is being switched off.

Norman

winged_racer

Well this is a bit of a strange one! One thing I would recommend is to check the plug for a loose or broken wire. However, being that this started after the firmware upgrade (depending on how soon after) it could be a glitch in the software and it could just need to be reloaded to cure it. You mention the 'CANBUS' error, does this coincide with the charging problem or is it a seperate issue? Worst case would be the charger has an intermittent fault and would need to be replaced.

Cheers,
Doug

Doug Townley
info.DTES [at] gmail.com

(Formerly Vectrix Europe Technical Supervisor)

One door closes, another door opens

undead

Hi Doug!

I dont see the bike while it is charging as its usually started before i go to bed, however i have come out once during the day while charging to find it on the CC stage with CANBUS written there - the riding CANBUS errors occur usually every 2-3 weeks on average - usually the bike does not react at all (just get the message) but sometimes I get a small jolt and it carries on.

I will check the plug later for loose wiring, usually to start it charging i just switch the wall socket off and back on again and off it goes, so it doesnt feel like a loose connection.

I know when I had the new firmware before the bike went back for the fuse repair, and subsequently came back with the old firmware, the CANBUS onlly happened at about the same frequencies on the new firmware before. So my guess would be its something to do with the new firmware?

If you can suggest any tests to perform to make it happen, I am more than happy to oblige.

Cheers

R
R's picture

It does seem a charging delay. Usually it is activated by turnig the key off with the brake lever (left or right) pulled.
When the bike does not start charging, if you switch on the key, what does the left display show?

undead

Will check and post back next time it happens (probably this evening)

moccasin
moccasin's picture

With the new software, each brake lever initiates a charge delay if it's held during shut-down. If the bike is in delay mode, the dash lights will come on and the speedo will cycle once when plugged in, then shut back off while the charger counts down the delay time. Sometimes the fans will run during this delay time, but only if they are needed at that time.

One lever (I can never remember which one but I think it's the right side) sets a default delay of one hour. The other lever is programmable in 30 minute segments.

Sounds to me like you're holding (consiously or not) one of the levers, at least slightly, occasionally when you switch off the bike.

undead

You know what Mr Moccasin, that could well be it - i usually steady the bike as i get off, and its possible that i am turning off the switch as i am doing so.

I will check my habits - I assumed it was not this because i didnt hear the fans going, but that being said of course they wouldnt go off if the battery was already coldish (which it would be round these parts usually!)

Will keep an eye out - that also ties in with the firmware update, which put the feature in.

Cheers all!

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07

Support V is for Voltage