Vectrix board meeting today

64 posts / 0 new
Last post
R
R's picture
Re: Vectrix board meeting today

With your permission, I'm gonna play Marcopolo's Game...

LAtest rumoouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurhg!
Vectrix has ready for comercialitzation a lithium upgrade kit. The battery weights less, they have more energy capacity, and they will cost the same as nickel packs!!. With this battery the acceleration will be improved from 6.8 seconds 80km/h to under 6 seconds 80 km/h!!

Search through the forum, sure somebody has already posted this. This is not my experienced imagination!!! It's true!!

snail

With your permission, I'm gonna play Marcopolo's Game...

LOL!

DSR

I strongly doubt they'll ever do a gasoline based range extender. In case the new owner's are reading... IMNSHO that would be a really bad idea!

If the term gasoline based range extender means essentially adding a gasoline generator, I'm curious why this is such a bad idea. This would effectively turn the vehicle into a plug-in hybrid. For cars, the concept of a plug-in hybrid may end up being a very popular "bridge" technology until batteries and charging infrastructure reach the point where an affordable 100% electric car can have 400 mile range and be charged in 10 minutes or less.

I find it interesting that no motorcycles are adopting this approach. I may be missing something - maybe there is some reason why it makes sense for cars but not for bikes.

Dave R.

jethro

a couple of quixotic tech guy's operating from a shed in the UK

why do you feel the need to constantly put down or critisise those remaining employees who are trying to remain positive and do what they can to help Vectrix owners, they could be bitter over their own uncertain futures and do nothing. Yes they may "only" be doing what they are paid to do but paying someone does not garentee good customer service skills, just go to any supermarket on a weekend to experience the joys of couldn't care less staff.

My dictionary gives a defination of "quixotic" as "extravagantly chivalrous or romantic; visionary, impractical, or impracticable", ignoring visionary they are trying to give practical advice and I would not describe Doug as chivalrous or romantic - more as a dirty old man!
It could also be said that most factories/workshops are sheds, just somewhat bigger than the Vectrix UK building

edit due to missing qoute!

RaDy
RaDy's picture

It is interesting to note that Rady, is the sole remaining defender of the "wait one week and all will be revealed brigade" now even he seems to accept the inevitable, but believes it to all be a plot by M Boyle.

Im not a defender of "wait one week and all will be revealed brigade", but i am not convinced by your confusing information, negative towards VUK attitude, know it all of the Vectrix secrets and experienced person.
I will , politely, just ask you a plain and simple question. Why have you kept us informed of the latest in insides of the Vectrix Company and why have so many people joined in the forum to attack you directly, like those next week people , Knopf , schnoor etc..etc.. why so many attacks to you?

I am being realistic if i was the company CEO and i wanted to make a business. First i would spend millions of the shareholders money in developing all types of li-ion batteries, range extenders, new software etc.. etc.. then i would try to sink the company by managing it like Mr.Boyle and finally i would assosiate myself to a Chinese Ev manufacturer with expertise and with cheap manufacturing prices and buy off Vectrix at a few Dollars!!!!!
Its being realistic as a buissness point of view
RADY

I not sure how to reply to your long, confusing, contradictory post. You seem to be saying that Mike Boyle must be a capable and able CEO because he went to University, therefore Vectrix must have failed because he meant it to fail, so he must be a cunning crook? Well, sadly, just going to Uni, doesn't prevent you from being an incompetent CEO, but it doesn't make you a crook either! (well not necessarily!).
Im not saying Mr. Boyle was capable, i am saying someone chose him becasue that someone(shareholders voting) must have thought he was capable.

I am not sure what evidence you have to accuse Mr Boyle of malfeasance, But after reading what you would do if placed in charge of a public company with hundreds of millions of dollars, I am very glad that you've not had the chance!
I didnt mean that i myself would do that, i was trying to put myself in Mr. Boyle´s position and then try to think why he would want to sink the Company on purpose. Becauase by his actions, in my point of view, it is clear it was not a good buissness strategy for the shareholders, but as i said, possibly a very good one for his future plans.
Its just buissness speculation, you dont have to go out of theme about how i would manage a public Company, but then again, i think its simply your way of handling the situation, a personal attack to distract from the main important theme.

Do you really think that if we all pretended that nothing was wrong with Vectrix, it would have just miraculously fixed itself? What is so hard to understand?
No one is pretending anything in this forum. Maybe you are pretending to help and what you are really doing is confusing and trying that no one buys a Vectrix, and that no one goes to VUK and that people who have bought one should regret.
And buy pretending that something is wrong with Vectrix, it doesnt fix it , either.
The thing that is really hard to understand, is your exact position. Its not clear what you want out of this forum?

Vectrix has gone from being a Publicly Listed, $400 million, manufacturer with an Industry leading product, and world-wide distribution network, to an insolvent, moribund organisation seeming only to exist in its board room, lawyers, and a couple of quixotic tech guy's operating from a shed in the UK. Both factories have ceased to operate, and the thousands of warranty problems will never be solved, just wiped away by US bankruptcy law.
Yes, all this has happened and according to you, all because of bad management!? One person? You must be blind if you really think its bad management. The CEO before Mr.Boyle did bad management, Mr.Boyle played a totally different game.

Exactly where is that analysis is inaccurate?
The analisis might be correct, its the cause and the final turnout that you seem to have very inaccurate

I guess its hard for you to understand, but the Chinese do not want a high quality, high priced scooter! They simply don't have a market. Those who can buy scooters want them very cheap, those who could afford Vectrix buy a car! If china thought there was a market, they don't need to buy Vectrix, China is the land of copying!
Exactly, they dont want a high quality, high priced scooter , they want a better quality than what they sell at a better price than what they sell. Some chinese EV scooter companies have to move from the big volume low profit scooters to the next step, these scooter comapnies dont care about the car market, they want to expand and they will take the next step in the scooter market, not get into the car market. And if the buy Vectrix, they will use the "know how" and dump the rest. Im not saying this is good for Vectrix but its good for them.
Ask yourself, why did a chinese company buy ROVER?? and why did they even keep the longbridge Factory?????

But the fact that neither Japan, Korea, or even Taiwan has shown any interest should indicate something. The natural home for Vectrix was BMW or Harley-Davidson, both of whom passed.
BMW and Harley are engine manufacturers in the end, like piaggio,Honda,Yamaha etc.. Brakes,pads,shocks,suspension,electronics, panels,screws,bolts etc.. are made by others so Vectrix is plain competence to them.If Vectrix succededthey would have to stop making engines, and start maing batteries and electric motors, and they wouldnt be better than Battery manufacturers like A123, BYD, LG Chem, Sanyo etc.. etc.. and in electric motors, the same story Siemens(Trains, machinery), Parker Hanifin etc.. etc.. BMW and Harley would be out of buissness making engines (and also repairing them)

But you are right about one thing, I was very alarmed at the concept of VUK continuing to sell Vectrix to an unsuspecting buyers without informing them of the companies pending bankruptcy, and that there maybe no warranty and no spare parts! If I scared them away, then I believe that is a very good thing!
Not really, because you dont know what is going to happen(or do you?), so you are trying to make all these people believe that you know all about Vectrix and the insides and they shouldnt buy etc.. and then, what if the ending is different?
GM came out as the NEW GM , lets wait untill we know what happens before disinforming!

marcopolo

I will , politely, just ask you a plain and simple question. Why have you kept us informed of the latest in insides of the Vectrix Company and why have so many people joined in the forum to attack you directly, like those next week people , Knopf , schnoor etc..etc.. why so many attacks to you?

Oh dear, John you are right, this is what comes of feeding them..... Ah, sorry Rady, it's sort of impossible to anwer all your inaccuracies, and frankly pretty pointless. I can't say why so many peaople belong to the Radical Chipmunk brigade, I suspect very few in reality. Mr Schoor, incidently has not attacked me, nor as far as I know contributed any comment at all.

Maybe you are pretending to help and what you are really doing is confusing and trying that no one buys a Vectrix, and that no one goes to VUK and that people who have bought one should regret. And buy pretending that something is wrong with Vectrix, it doesnt fix it , either.Not really, because you dont know what is going to happen(or do you?), so you are trying to make all these people believe that you know all about Vectrix and the insides and they shouldnt buy etc.. and then, what if the ending is different?

(Sigh), Blind Faith and hope are wonderful attributes! Look around you, read these pages, they are full of people with Vectrix service problems! Yes, I do know something is wrong! EVERYONE knows something is wrong! Why? Vectrix told you! The company has virtualy ceased to exist! Now if you are well informed, and wish like JDH and all the other engineering minded guy's who are confident that they can maintain a Vectrix without factory support, it's a great oppourtuniy to grab a Vectrix at a discount. But for the poor consumer who imagines that he is purchasing a factory warrantied vehile, it a very bad deal indeed! And yes I repeat it is a very good thing to disuade them. I am sorry if you think I am making people regret buying Vectrix, but think about it, even everyone said nothing, Vectrix owners, like me, would still be angry at no warranty and no parts!

Vectrix has gone from being a Publicly Listed, $400 million, manufacturer with an Industry leading product, and world-wide distribution network, to an insolvent, moribund organisation seeming only to exist in its board room, lawyers, and a couple of quixotic tech guy's operating from a shed in the UK. Both factories have ceased to operate.

Jetho, as usual you are quoting me out of context, my comment was obviously intended to be an accurate description of the current state of the company affairs. The quixotic analogy was exceedingly kind, considering the original VUK claims and the wildly extravagant assumptions by VUK supporters. A shed is really just a small factory? C'mon now, that just plain disingenuous, a factory manufactures, are you suggesting that VUK has commenced manufacture? No, of course not, you are just tying to maintain the illusion that the SS Vectrix has not hit a reef, as long as a couple of guys are still pottering around the deck. Especially if these guys also sign their comments with impresive and official sounding titles. I really don't have an issue with that, and no doubt they hope it will all become real again. But when I read a comment from the Technical Manager, Vectrix Europe, it does sort of create the illusion of a large and thriving organised department of technical staff, not two guy's pottering round in a shed in the UK! (described by the CEO as caretkering duties) Now, don't misunderstand. It's not personal!I have no ill-will towards these two! In fact, elsewhere I have paid tribute to their efforts. But looking at the big picture, is that not an an accurate discription of the current business activities of Vectrix?

Bob, When corporations the size and complexity of Vectrix become insolvent, events start to assume a life of their own. No one, not even the Board can detirmine all the diverse factors that can arise. Various law suits may have complicated the issue, the bidders may, for different reasons start to negotiate with each other, hidden factors arise concerning the previous conduct of the business. Vectrix is fortunate to be a Delaware corporation and subject to the very generous corporate bankcruptcy provisions of the USA. Until the matter arrives befor the courts, everything is speculation! We can only monitor developments.

For the benefit of 'R', I repeat, I don't have any 'secret' information in the sense that you mean. But I do have access to research information that you may not. Also, I have the resources to check it against other sources, indeed this forum is just one of several hundred sources that my computer programe obtains for me daily. From this research, I make assesments (or guesses if you like), sometimes I gain insight from interviewing actual participants. The insight into VA was most illuminating. If you consider that information in the context of Mik's experience, you start to understand the nature of the failures in the business model and the failures of vectrix management.

Boring, huh? No deep throat, just diligent research!

marcopolo

R
R's picture

I find it interesting that no motorcycles are adopting this approach.

There is a constellation of motorbikes doing this approach.
The first avaiable motorbike for purchase is the Piaggio MP3 HYbrid. You can buy it right now! Have a watch on this nice video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOHJDWFWzBk
Notice that the recharging plug is the same one that european Vectrixs use.

One nice prototype is the Peugeot Hybrid3:
3532415430_823fc957e3.jpg

There is an interesting approach here in barcelona: http://www.ecolife.es/index_en.php
They realised that there is a chinese motorbike that is sold with gas engine or electric engine. They've purchased a special version with both engines, and now they're developing the sofware to ride it. The first tests showed a fuel economy of 300+ miles per gallon.
Many more prototypes are on the way all over the world, just ask Mr google "hybrid motorbike" ;-)

R
R's picture

why do you feel the need to constantly put down or critisise those remaining employees who are trying to remain positive and do what they can to help Vectrix owners,

I completely agree with you, jethro! I'm starting to get tired of these "polarised" (;-) coments among vectrix's staff who are trying to do their best!!
Marcopolo, Why don't you openly admit what game are you playing at? Why don't you tell us where do you get all these information which you throw here that, according to your comments, it only comes from your experienced holy imagination??

R
R's picture

For the benefit of 'R', I repeat, I don't have any 'secret' information in the sense that you mean.

oring, huh? No deep throat, just diligent research!

Come on Marco. Let's forget about the polo (fog in the AOE II ;-)). The forum's people are intelligent.
You are not answering my question: 3rd time I ask you!!!!!!!!!!!!! When you say:

Latest rumour!

The second, third and forth bidders are attempting form a coalition with the major shareholders to resist Mike Boyle and Emax's bid

Would you mind outlining the exact place where you read all this kind of news?? Why don't you admit you have some kind of direct involvement with this isue??

this forum is just one of several hundred sources that my computer programe obtains for me daily. From this research, I make assesments (or guesses if you like)

Thousands of sources! You spend a lot of time among the vectrix Isue. You look tooo professional! This is astonishing. I don't get you also... Why are you making all this mess? We love our Vectrix, that's all! We are just trying to improve and fix them. Why don't you stop bringing your "polarised" battle here and just move it into the bidding battlefield? why don't you ever say how good is your vectrix? why don't you ever show a picture of you with your vectrix? Why don't you tell us about your vectrix problems and how you solve them? Do you really have a vectrix? If you don't owe a vectrix, what the hell are you doing here?

As Rady says,

The thing that is really hard to understand, is your exact position. Its not clear what you want out of this forum

That is the question: What do you want out of this forum, Marco????????????
AndY1
AndY1's picture

I agree. I'd really love to see Marcopolo's fleet of 17 Vectrix bikes.

DSR

There is a constellation of motorbikes doing this approach.

Thanks for pointing these out. They obviously are starting to come onto the scene. I should have taken the time to google around a bit ;-)

Dave R.

winged_racer

and I would not describe Doug as chivalrous or romantic - more as a dirty old man!

Oh dear Jethro, I take great exception to being labelled as "old" ROFLMAO

Doug Townley
info.DTES [at] gmail.com

(Formerly Vectrix Europe Technical Supervisor)

One door closes, another door opens

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
I strongly doubt they'll ever do a gasoline based range extender. In case the new owner's are reading... IMNSHO that would be a really bad idea!

If the term gasoline based range extender means essentially adding a gasoline generator, I'm curious why this is such a bad idea. This would effectively turn the vehicle into a plug-in hybrid. For cars, the concept of a plug-in hybrid may end up being a very popular "bridge" technology until batteries and charging infrastructure reach the point where an affordable 100% electric car can have 400 mile range and be charged in 10 minutes or less.

I find it interesting that no motorcycles are adopting this approach. I may be missing something - maybe there is some reason why it makes sense for cars but not for bikes.

Dave,

Two words: Space and complexity.

Space: there's precious little space in a bike for batteries as it is. Really this is a secondary concern for me - my main beef is...

Complexity: notice how the bikes available are complex tilting 3 wheelers? IMTUHO, those are some engineers left to solve problems where problems don't exist (or not big enough problems anyway). Sure the MP3 is cool. Sure a PHEV 3 wheeler is cool. But what problems does it solve - and more importantly two follow on questions (1) what compromises need to be made to solve those problems & (2) is there a big enough need/desire to solve the problem?

On an MP3 what's the electric only range? If it's minuscule (which I expect it is) AND you NEED the range then why not simply buy a fuel efficient scooter and put the extra few grand into buying solar panels? Of course if you're simply buying it because it's a cool engineering feat then be my guest - but don't justify it as a "bridge" ;-)

Sorry - that's my "I don't like hybrids" rant. I'm a purist at heart! ;-)

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Off topic: I wonder how the VX-1 would really fare with a 5kWh LiFe pack. Of course it's easy to say "it would succeed" - but would it really?

John, is the 5kWh Life pack, cheaper? One of the big killers for the VX1 was the huge price of the battery, caused by the nickel boom. The other limiting factor was the relatively complicated battery operation, while you guys may love to potter with best battery maintenance procedure the average punter can't be bothered!Would a different battery be more idiot proof?

Let me be clear - I've no idea if they really have a LiFePO4 pack in the offing and what capacity it would be.

Would a different battery be more idiot proof?

It wouldn't be harder to be more idiot proof than the VX-1's pack. Just ask Mik ;-) (sorry to the VUK guys - I couldn't resist - I'd love to hear the "real" reasons behind the choices made regarding pack and BMS because it does seem like this is the weakest link in the chain. I also know that's an outside perspective and possibly entirely unfair - but WTF were you thinking?? ;-) )

Yes, with a per cell BMS and a system designed to respect the battery discharge and recharge limits then a LiFePO4 pack can be very idiot proof. The problems seen with packs today are flawed battery management or over-stressing the batteries (really that's the same as flawed battery management)

is the 5kWh Life pack, cheaper?

Yes, LiFePO4 will ultimately be cheaper than NiMH (it already is depending on whose LiFe you buy). But really it's all in the fundamentals: a NiMH pack has about 30% to 40% nickle metal content. The metal in LiFePO4 is iron. Which do you think is more expensive? Now, as to what Vectrix might charge you for it - I couldn't say!

BTW, I was at an SAE presentation last night on advanced battery technology. Ford, Toyota and GM presented. The Ford guy said that NiMH was great for HEV but PHEVs and BEVs need Lithium or better. The other two agreed. Ford has NiMH packs coming out of NYC taxi's with 300,000 miles on them and they're fine. The key is though that in a HEV there's hundreds of thousands of shallow discharge cycles. Whereas in a BEV you need thousands of deep discharge cycles.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

marcopolo

I think the real attraction of a hybrid is from a marketing point of view. A limited range commuter vehicle has limited appeal. A hybrid, the vehicle can compete with its fossil alternatives in practicability. While an EV owner in London may travel only a few kilometres per week, most potential owners want a vehicle with sufficient range to be their only means of transport. If this were not the case Vectrix or any other EV would have enjoyed greater sales success. The hybrid need not just run on petrol, Propane, butane, LPG etc would help to ensure green credentials.

<
Thousands of sources! You spend a lot of time among the vectrix Issue. You look tooo professional! This is astonishing. I don't get you also... Why are you making all this mess? We love our Vectrix, that's all! We are just trying to improve and fix them.

Then why contribute to a thread titled 'Vectrix Board Meeting', if your only interest is concerned with the technical aspects of your repairing and maintaining your bike? You have your own censorship control.Stick to the threads that interest you! I have tried to be polite and patiently answer your questions, but you reject reasoned replies in favour of accusing me of some kind of wierd conpiracy theory. What mess, have I made? Did I send Vectrixweirdconspiracy bankrupt? Do you really think if no one reports on a disaster, it miraculously won't have happened? You are entitled to love your bike, but others are far more interested in why Vectrix failed both as a product and a company! This is obvious by the huge amount of correspondence.

It's significant to notice that you seem very upset at the accuracy of my comments, I could understand your resentment if I was inaccurate, but you never actually contradict anything, well not factually at least.

When I am inaccurate, just tell me where? That's really the purpose of these threads, to exchange information. All information, not just technical minutia.

I don't see why I should,but in the interests of mutual understanding, I will try to explain a little about professional information gathering. Although most sources are fairly public,(including Internet forums) many sources originate from, not secret, but subscription based information providers, these publications can be very expensive, and often have a prohibition on subscribers on-publishing analysis without permission. Other sources are also subscriber based, and only available to members of their own professions. Again, not exactly secret, but difficult and expensive to access, unless you belong to that profession. Law reports, medicine, Share Analysis and Intelligence, Financial and credit reports etc.. Share registers, Government Departments, Authorities, often have information sources, these are accessible to professionals, but not easily available, or usually too expensive, for the general public to access.

This information is used by those involved in such professions as financial journalism, (although nothing beats just making it up in the pub, and attributing the barman as an "informed source"!)or the business of completing Due Diligence Studies, primarily for bankers, investment houses, government policy makers etc. These professionals also have their own networks, for swapping information etc.. The closed lecture or seminar, also a great way to exchange information. Are all these sources it accurate? Not always, some is information little more than gossip, but equally some is very accurate. It depends on how astute is the receiver in analysing information!

I hope that the above explanation may assist your understanding.

marcopolo

Mik
Mik's picture

It depends on how astute is the receiver in analysing information!

I was trying to write something like this, but my hopeless little handheld websurfer stuffed it up just in time...(after minutes of typing, grrrr.)

What I was going to say yesterday, before Marcopolo answered it better than I could have, yet again, anyway, was this:

I cannot understand how you guys are incapable of assessing the verisimilitude of postings without "proof", like quotes and photos of Vectrix fleets! If marcopolo is some sort of hoax, which is not impossible, then it is one of the best ones I've ever seen. Everything fits together very well. Even to pull off a good hoax like that would necessitate the consulting of many sources as described by marcopolo; probably it would be much more difficult to pull off a good hoax than to report the truth (as it evolves and changes).

It's just that so many people are too emotionally invested in the subject to see this. Afraid to loos the warranty, the job, the family home, their business, etc. That can make it darn hard to see the truth!

Of course, I don't agree with everything s/he has written here, but on the whole I am more than glad that someone like Marcopolo can find the time to share the knowledge gained through a what must be a lifetimes worth of information networking efforts.

Once someone is an expert at something, s/he can make it look easy and effortless; and sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic (for the uninitiated).

In a similar way, sufficiently advanced knowledge and information gathering ability will make it look as if someone is just taking wild guesses, but these "guesses" are magically right most of the time!

Thank you, marcopolo! (Not that you need the encouragement, you obviously enjoy the debate!)

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

DSR

John, I'm actually a purist as well, and I agree that hybrids are not a good long term approach and hope that the age of hybrids is short. Where I disagree is that I think they will be a necessary evil for a while. The current crop of non-pluggable parallel hybrids are especially bad - they are arguably a huge increase in complexity for very little in return. A well-designed plug-in hybrid, however, brings the possibility to significantly reduce the usage of liquid fuels while maintaining competitive range and convenience with an ICE-only vehicle. Yes, it's still more complex than either ICE or electric only, and to achieve a truly significant reduction in fuel usage it will need to have enough electric range to cover most daily commuting. On the plus side, however, it can completely replace my current passenger car, where a 100% electric cannot yet do that - it would have to be a second car. This is why I am interested in an electric motorcycle - I can justify spending $6K or $7K for an extra commute-only vehicle, but not $20-$30K.

A good plug-in hybrid brings the ability to offer mostly-electric driving to consumers who wouldn't otherwise be willing to spend the money to buy a 100% electric as a second car given the current set of operating trade-offs.

Now, having thought about this some more, I can see that the complexity and marketing trade-offs might be different for motorcycles. Motorcycles are smaller and lower cost, so the extra complexity might add relatively more size, weight, and cost. Also, more people are willing to have motorcycles as second vehicles due to their lower cost.

Dave R.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Dave -

I'm prepared to accept PHEV's in the 4-wheel world (I know, that's real big of me!) - however, in the two wheel world I don't think they can be as easily justified. The compromises are too great. BTW, I don't even know if the MP3 and other hybrid motorcycles are PHEV's or just HEV's. Even if they are PHEV's I think it's unlikely that they will have enough range to satisfy most commuting requirements.

I agree somewhat with marcopolo - a hybrid motorcycle is a "me too" marketing move. In my cynical moments I suspect that some "higher up" at Piaggio said "we should have a hybrid motorcycle in our line up". So they went and did it. Before they asked the higher up "why?".

Now, if you're looking for a $6K to $7K motorcycle for commuting may I suggest we talk? ;-)

R
R's picture

We should have a hybrid motorcycle in our line up". So they went and did it. Before they asked the higher up "why?".

Dear jdh2550_1.
You should notice that the piaggio's "Higher up" are not interested in building hybrid motorcycles. They are good at building gas engines, not electronics and batteries. The main problem is that European goverments are starting to fear the problems derived from PEAK OIL (which happened 2005-2008). It makes a lot of sense, as Europe contains very few oil and all northern fields are in severe decline. These goverments are forcing car and motorbike makers to develop plug-in hybrids and electrics as soon as possible.

Is PEAK OIL real? have a glimpse at the beautiful daily production of the supergiant canterell, which WAS the 3rd biggest oil field in the world:

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/5768

Then ask the mexican goverment if PEAK OIL is real....

On the other hand when you say:

it's unlikely that they will have enough range to satisfy most commuting requirements

I don't know what kind of range do you need for your daily communte, but let me show you an example: The ecolife hybrid scooter has an average consumption of 1 liter of gas every 100 km. This gives a range of over 500 km, about 300 miles. Does anybody need more range? Just refill in a gas station... My vectrix offers enought range to me, sure this hybrid scooter will be enought for me and everybody's daily commute, at a very reasonable price.
R
R's picture

but on the whole I am more than glad that someone like Marcopolo can find the time to share the knowledge gained through a what must be a lifetimes worth of information networking efforts.

Don't get me wrong Mik. It's just that I got tired of the manipulating, negative, sometimes despective way of Marco. I see guys like him everywhere, it is a real pity to find them here also. Well Mr Mik, if Marco's way is ok to you, I'll let him go ahead. I never expected a clear answer from him, just the same evasive, elaborated, well calibrated answers I've been reading for so long.

These professionals also have their own networks, for swapping information etc.. The closed lecture or seminar, also a great way to exchange information. Are all these sources it accurate? Not always, some is information little more than gossip, but equally some is very accurate. It depends on how astute is the receiver in analysing information!

Marco, I was not interested in you fantastic professional way of gathering information. I was just asking for real evidence, the concrete place where you find that concrete information. The concrete place where you have all these beautiful 17 Vectrix. I was just wondering why is so complicated for you to give real evidence...! Don't worry, I don't want to waste your patience and your time any longer. You must have a good reason to preserve your identity.

Get ready for the lithium.
Cheers,
R

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

We should have a hybrid motorcycle in our line up". So they went and did it. Before they asked the higher up "why?".

Dear jdh2550_1.
You should notice that the piaggio's "Higher up" are not interested in building hybrid motorcycles. They are good at building gas engines, not electronics and batteries.

I agree that they like building gas engines - which is why they build a hybrid (HEV) rather than a 100% electric (BEV).

it's unlikely that they will have enough range to satisfy most commuting requirements

I don't know what kind of range do you need for your daily communte, but let me show you an example:

I am referring to the electric only range of a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle.

You entirely missed the point of my post. Are you aware of the different terminology?

HEV = Hybrid Electric Vehicle and equates to the type of hybrid that isn't designed for significant electric only operation. The electric motor is often used up to a fairly low set speed and then the gas engine kicks in. The standard Prius on the market today is a HEV.

PHEV = Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle and equates to a vehicle that is designed to use the electric motor as the main form of propulsion. The gas engine is used as a generator to keep the batteries charged. In cars the goal is often around a 40 mile range on electric only before the gas engine kicks in. The Chevy Volt is perhaps the best known PHEV. Toyota is also supposed to be releasing a PHEV version of the Prius.

BEV = Battery Electric Vehicle and equates to a vehicle that only has batteries, no gas motor at all. The Tesla, Vectrix and C1x are all BEVs.

When I say I'm a purist I'm referring to the fact that I prefer BEV's.

So, I don't know if the MP3 is a PHEV or HEV. If it's a PHEV then I'd like to know what it's electric only range is - it's the electric only range that I want to be large enough for my commute. Otherwise I'd probably do better buying an efficient gas only scooter and putting the money saved towards solar panels (or some other environmentally sound project).

R
R's picture

You entirely missed the point of my post. Are you aware of the different terminology?

Thats true!
In my mother language, the Catalan, this terminology is entirely different.
I severely apologise for my poor enghish. Please take into consideration I'm not a native English speaker. This forum is a good chance to practice and improve it, and I'm very grateful each time anybody helps me in improving it, and aid me in understanding, like you, new terminology!
Thank you very much!
However, if a make a direct correspondence from the catalan, there would be a difference in the menaning of the terminology: In catalan it does not matter if the electric engine is the primary or secondary propulsion engine, just matters where the energy comes from.

HEV: Hybrid electric vehicle, with all power coming from gas energy. The gas energy (recovered by braking, downhill, recharging) is used to recharge the battery. This is the case of the prius. It is impossible to recharge the battery of PRIUS.

PHEV: Hybrid vehicle, with the ability to recharge the batteries from a plug. Essentially, this vehicles can move around without needing a drop of gas.
Therefore, from my "catalan" point of view, the MP3 hybrid, peugeot hybrid3, ecolife and so on, are all 100% HPEV... ;-). As they're heavily dependant on the energy from oil, the pure electric range is just enought for a small daily city commute at low speed.

I think we need a new word to describe a vehicle like the Vectrix with a lpg generator:
What do you thing of using REEV?
REEV: Range extended Electric vehicle. The propulsion is 100% electric, and it has a range extender to recharge the battery and give extra-electric power to the engine...

Otherwise I'd probably do better buying an efficient gas only scooter

It would be a strategically mistaken purchase, if we look at the alarming declining rate of the supergiant oil fields... With an efficient gas scooter, you'll always need oil to move around... PHEV would not we the right choice for you: Please take into account that these PHEV are designed to work primarily with gas energy, and circumstantly, to be capable of making short trips at low speed in case of suddent oil sacarcity. What you really need is an REEV ;-)

marcopolo

Don't get me wrong Mik. It's just that I got tired of the manipulating, negative, sometimes respective way of Marco. I see guys like him everywhere, it is a real pity to find them here also. Well Mr Mik, if Marco's way is ok to you, I'll let him go ahead. I never expected a clear answer from him, just the same evasive, elaborated, well calibrated answers I've been reading for so long.

These professionals also have their own networks, for swapping information etc.. The closed lecture or seminar, also a great way to exchange information. Are all these sources it accurate? Not always, some is information little more than gossip, but equally some is very accurate. It depends on how astute is the receiver in analysing information!

Marco, I was not interested in you fantastic professional way of gathering information. I was just asking for real evidence, the concrete place where you find that concrete information. The concrete place where you have all these beautiful 17 Vectrix. I was just wondering why is so complicated for you to give real evidence...! Don't worry, I don't want to waste your patience and your time any longer. You must have a good reason to preserve your identity.
R

Why, my goodness! thank you so much! I hadn't realised I was dealing with an official of such power, but thank you for your 'permissionto ' "let me go ahead". Do I need my permit stamped? Alas! I am betrayed! I can see that you are on to me,You are far too clever, with your cunning interrogation techniques! You see guy's like me everywhere? Just tell me which of my group is your double agent? Your relentless questioning is breaking me down! Concrete, Concrete, how do you get the password? Who gave it to you? You'll never get me to talk!

Sorry R, but relax, your fanatical accusations and unreasonable attitude detracts from the good intentions knowledge, and passion you obviously possess toward EV development. But you're in danger of confusing a new technology with a Religion or Cause, with the Business operators as sort of high priests. They're just businessmen,and not particularly virtuous, but not evil either. Nor are ICE manufacturers, 'The Enemy',! They are just businessmen trying to make a living. The Directors of Public corporations are like politicians, and must be kept under constant scrutiny and criticism. But that doesn't make them evil plotters, or virtuous Saints!

Research, 'R', research, if you had bothered to read my previous posts you would have seen that I have previously answered the questions that you ask. But, since then I have another reason to be relatively circumspect. If Vectrix assets are sold to a bidder who kills off the marque and Vectrix disappears, I will be following up to see if any action, by any Director, is actionable. I, will then issue proceedings/ enjoin others, seeking damages from those Vectrix Directors responsible. This is very, very expensive litigation, and although, I as a fleet owner have better resources and claim than individual owners to pursue litigation, I try to pass on what I know, so other owners, less well informed may benefit.

If you had bothered to read my earlier posts you would see that I am also a shareholder, albeit a relatively small one, and as such I stay in contact with other shareholders. They also have sources of information. I am entitled to know of board meetings, etc..I can ask questions of the Chairman directly, not that I receive any satisfactory answers, but this provides me with some insight into developments.

It could be deduced from your fanatical tone and desperate need to discover my sources, that you work for Mike Boyle, or one of the Bidders? After all, you really come across as a loyal company man! But, I don't really believe that! I also don't believe Mike Boyle, or anyone else really intended Cicatrix to fail! They are just tying to find a life boat now that they've hit the rocks!

marcopolo

R
R's picture

Why, my goodness! thank you so much! I hadn't realised I was dealing with an official of such power, but thank you for your 'permissionto ' "let me go ahead". Do I need my permit stamped?

Sure you need it,;-) as you spend your valuable time on focusing on me. I like your new way of writing, it's nicer than before. About the permission, you're wellcome: How is the Vectrix bidding doing? Any News?

You'll never get me to talk!
Sure you'll never talk, it's a lost cause hehehehe ;-)

Sorry R, but relax, your fanatical accusations and unreasonable attitude detracts from the good intentions knowledge, and passion you obviously possess toward EV development.
certainly, they're fanatical. NO need to deny. Please, let me explain why I'm fanatical: You know, keeping the world addicted to oil is important. I felt very sorry for all these EV-1 destroyed by oil bussiness. To me, the Ev development represents a chance of survival: With Peak Oil already over, there is a great chance that our heavyly oil dependant society will suffer a quickly collapse, and world population might be drastically sliced from 7GP to around 2GP due to lack of oil energy. Please, before saying that I'm mad and this is a huge nonsense stuff, have a look at the following links. You are obviuously intelligent, and you'll find some logic behind the PEAK OIL matter. ;-)

http://oilsmokeandmirrors.com/index2.htm
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8677389869548020370#

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/
Sure you'll enjoy checking daily news:
http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/BreakingNews.html

But you're in danger of confusing a new technology with a Religion or Cause, with the Business operators as sort of high priests.

It has nothing to do with religion. Like Matthew Simmons, Richard Heinberg or Colin Campbell, I'm simply terrified, don't want to watch the collapse going on and miserably die with all these 5GP. EV developement represents a good chance to substitude oil energy for sun energy, in order to keep on flowing the huge food fluxes that keeps the world's citizens alive.

If you had bothered to read my previous posts you would have seen that I have previously answered the questions that you ask.
Now I undertand why you didn't want to answer. How sweet of you. Thaks for the advice.;-)

. This is very, very expensive litigation, and although, I as a fleet owner have better resources and claim than individual owners to pursue litigation, I try to pass on what I know, so other owners, less well informed may benefit.
Ok. Good luck with the litigation

If you had bothered to read my earlier posts you would see that I am also a shareholder, albeit a relatively small one, and as such I stay in contact with other shareholders. They also have sources of information. I am entitled to know of board meetings, etc..I can ask questions of the Chairman directly, not that I receive any satisfactory answers, but this provides me with some insight into developments.
Thanks for reading your posts again. This the most clear answer I've received to my simple questions. You're really improving. Congratulations.

It could be deduced from your fanatical tone and desperate need to discover my sources,
Oh, marco, don't get me wrong. It's just that I got tired of the negative way you were focussing about the politic side of vectrix issues. This negative focussing gave me the "false" impression that you really wanted vectrix to die. I apologise. If Mik believes that reading your posts is important, please proceeed. How is the Vectrix bidding doing? Any News?

Cheers

marcopolo

I would expect Vectrix to decide on the final bidder on the 14 or 15th of September and file for chapter 11 on the 16th or 17th nominating an orderly sale of assets. Depending on the deal that is put before the Federal Judge, a number of options are open to those who disagree. The entire process may be interrupted by claims and counter claims by various parties, or if the deal is good enough, the Judge may allow the company to continue to operate until a creditors vote is taken. But once Chapter 11 id filed it is the end of secrecy.

I hope that the Directors will come to thier senses and act to preserve the VX1, but we can only wait and see.

marcopolo

RaDy
RaDy's picture

So,Marcopolo, i would like to ask you, which bidder do yu think is going to succeed in aquiring Vectrix? Also which of them do you think is the best for a "improving the product" point of view? I am asking you a sincere question as you are well informed. If you consider these questions incommodate you for whatever reason, then im sorry, dont answer them. We will keep waiting.
Its actually getting "exciting" to wait for the outcome. And one thing that is different from a month ago is that things dont seem so fatal!
Ill keep my fingers crossed, like so many others.
You have a very good support in Mik and that obviously also gives you more credit,so i hope we all try to be more constructive, even if the inevitable happens, we will have to carry on looking for solutions.
JDH , are you planning in developing a Li-Ion Battery with a excellent BMS, for the Vectrix now that you owe one?
RaDy

jmap
jmap's picture

(...)
JDH , are you planning in developing a Li-Ion Battery with a excellent BMS, for the Vectrix now that you owe one?
RaDy

I was told that the new batteries for A123 Systems doesn't need (theoretically) BMS because of their nanothecnology. They protect them selfs against overcharge and overdischarge. Can someone confirm this? If true would be wonderful!

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
(...)
RaDy

I was told that the new batteries for A123 Systems doesn't need (theoretically) BMS because of their nanothecnology. They protect them selfs against overcharge and overdischarge. Can someone confirm this? If true would be wonderful!

RaDy - not any time soon. And according to R there's a pack that's going to come out anyway.

jmap - they'll need a BMS. A key aspect of a BMS is to balance the pack (not just protect from overcharge and overdischarge). Also, I don't think the cell by itself can protect itself as you describe - unless it has extra circuitry built in to each cell.

marcopolo

So,Marcopolo, i would like to ask you, which bidder do yu think is going to succeed in aquiring Vectrix? Also which of them do you think is the best for a "improving the product" point of view?
RaDy

It would depend on the bidders intention and funding. If the founders bid is successful, the positive is they would be the best outcome as they would be eager to improve the V1, correct past errors. and keep the marque alive. The negative is they may not have sufficient funding in the long run.

Mike Boyle and Emax bid is the death of Vectrix as you know it. The brand would just become a cheap variety of emax, and the IP sold of to pay out M1ke Boyle and his supporters. I would surmise that this is the real reason Boyle still supports a token VUK, to convince E-max that he has the loyalty of the sales network.

The other bidders appear to only be interested in the IP and existing stock as a quick profit and the sell to attract Government money to support R&D programs cheaply.

But as I say, nothing is that certain, once the company is in Chapter 11, it is not impossible for the Judge to decide that the bidding process was tainted and reappraise the situation. The shareholders may injuct the proceedings on the basis that no EGM was held, and the directors are acting with improper haste to prevent themselves being removed and their chosen bidder favoured for improper motives.

We can just wait and see next week .

P/s Actually, I mostly have time to post when I am travelling, I can't sleep on 'planes and most hotel rooms are dreary. I receive a great deal of information in concise and précised form making it much easier and quicker to read and analyise.

marcopolo

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Which bidder, with your share of shares, do you/will you support? Do shareholders have any word in all of this?

Pages

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage