My vectrix died today. Main fuse?

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
R
R's picture
My vectrix died today. Main fuse?

My vectrix died today!
I was riding troght balmes street, and suddently I lost power.
Cheked with a glance all displays, and everything looked normal, with the go on. BUt get no power when twisting.
After a while all lcd display started to tilt furiously, and 3-4 secons after started a check up and stoped to 50, then started againand stopped to 80, and restarted to reach 120 and definetively died...
In my opinion, the problem can be the main fuse. What do you think?

AndY1
AndY1's picture
Re: My vectrix died today. Main fuse?

Others, that reported, that their main fuse blew, said that when it did, the lost all the power, not just moving power, but everything and that their speedometer remained that the speed when it blew.

myocardia

R, it isn't possible for anything electrical on your entire bike to be functioning, if the main fuse is blown. You'll just have to wait until Mik or one of the other EE types come along and tell you the possibilities of what your problem might be. I can tell you that it isn't the main fuse, though. You also could try reading through the Vectrix "handbook" on this site that Mik has been putting together for a couple of years now. Good luck.

R
R's picture

thanks for the answers. Can it be possible that when the bike started to fail the fuse was almost blown but still enabled a pretty small and intermitent contact before defenitive melting??

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Maybe a 'hard' reset (disconnecting and reconnecting the battery) is all it needs. But you should let a professional do that.

myocardia

Maybe a 'hard' reset (disconnecting and reconnecting the battery) is all it needs. But you should let a professional do that.

Especially since not reconnecting it properly sometimes blows the main fuse!

Magendanz
Magendanz's picture

Yeah, reconnecting main power without an inrush current limiter will likely blow your fuse. Unless you're up for building your own to untested specs, I'd not do it yourself.

Mik
Mik's picture

Yeah, reconnecting main power without an inrush current limiter will likely blow your fuse. Unless you're up for building your own to untested specs, I'd not do it yourself.

Well, rather we should discuss further the ones with some testing already done.

Like the ones which can be found here: http://visforvoltage.org/book/ev-collaborative-hand-books/6739 ,

especially the light globe design shown here: http://visforvoltage.org/book/ev-collaborative-hand-books/6155

I hope we will get much comments about this now that we have insiders posting, because I heard it on the grape-wine that such a device has been used by VUK routinely, but they were not allowed to tell anyone else!

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Mik
Mik's picture

thanks for the answers. Can it be possible that when the bike started to fail the fuse was almost blown but still enabled a pretty small and intermitent contact before defenitive melting??

I don't think the fuse opens like that.

But there might be some charge in capacitors which could possibly be enough to fool the electronics into the false impression that the battery is connected. But it is unusual that it tries to boot several times.

When the fuse in my first Vectrix blew the display looked as if it was booting up for a second or a few, then the needle froze during going up.

But when the second and third fuse opened, everything just stopped without any further signs of life.

winged_racer

I'm somewhat confused on this. The bike doesn't go when the throttle is twisted although the go light is steady on. But I am need to better understand about the LCD tilt (flash?) and the 50, 80, 120... is this the speedometer needle doing this? Finally, when you say it died, do you mean there is now nothing happening? No dashboard at all? If you plug the bike in to charge, does the light in the trunk come on or the bike start to charge? Let me knnow and I'll do what I can to help diagnose this problem.

Cheers,
Doug

Doug Townley
info.DTES [at] gmail.com

(Formerly Vectrix Europe Technical Supervisor)

One door closes, another door opens

jmap
jmap's picture

My vectrix died today!
I was riding troght balmes street, and suddently I lost power.
Cheked with a glance all displays, and everything looked normal, with the go on. BUt get no power when twisting.
After a while all lcd display started to tilt furiously, and 3-4 secons after started a check up and stoped to 50, then started againand stopped to 80, and restarted to reach 120 and definetively died...
In my opinion, the problem can be the main fuse. What do you think?

I am sorry to hear that...

X Vectrix

Occasionally, when a fuse fails, instead of failing completely (open circuit) it becomes a high resistance connection. It can conduct enough current to slowly charge up the MC caps. When the voltage on the caps reaches the lower threshold of the 12V DC/DC converter the 12V comes on, powers all the 12V stuff (dash) which quickly discharges the caps to the lower threshold again and the 12V turns off. Depending on the state of the fuse this can happen once or several times and may happen each time you cycle the key. Other times it opens completely when it fails and thats the end of it (speedo stuck at the last speed).

R
R's picture

Dear winged_racer. Thanks for your comments!

Let me explain.

The bike doesn't go when the throttle is twisted although the go light is steady on

Certainly. For 3-4 seconds this really happened. NO yellow or red light above. To my astonishment all displays really DID behave like normal.

the LCD tilt (flash?)

It's difficult to comunicate in a foreign language. I can describe it as like a flickering display, with vey quikcly intensity waves.
This can give a rought idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxSUIeZs2d8

and the 50, 80, 120... is this the speedometer needle doing this?

suddently all lights from above turned on, and the needle went up to 50, stayed there for a while, then went to 80, stayed there for another while, and finally went up to 120. Take into account that i was in the middle of the traffic and I only managed to catch some brief glimpses of the display, something can be missing.

Finally, when you say it died, do you mean there is now nothing happening?

When it rached 120, everything turned off. Althought the bike was still moving at 40 km/h in the middle of traffic, I managed to switch off and on several times, and get no response. Waited 5 minutes and the key swith did not respond again. I called the dealer, and suggested me to take the bike to Suzuka. To my great relief the insurance assistance show up pretty fast.
Now the bike is in hands of Suzuka an authorized vectrix place (I still have 1.5 years of the 4 year warranty). If you want to trace the problem, you can call or email the spanish dealer, ask for "Juan Colmenarejo". Otherwise, if I get any news, I'll post them here!

R
R's picture

Dear X vectrix. Thanks for your response.

Depending on the state of the fuse this can happen once or several times

This can explain the behaviour. Now the fuse failure seems more probable...

winged_racer

As X Vectrix has explained so well (thanks Dave!) the problem is the fuse and hopefully the dealer has some in stock to get you back on your Vectrix quickly.

The reason I asked all the questions was to eliminate the possibility of the throttle coming out of alignment which will cause the bike not to go but you would have constant power to the dash, etc.

And please don't take any offence to my questions. I know we have people on this forum from all over the world and language translation will always cause some problems. So it is always best to ask rather than guess!

Doug Townley
info.DTES [at] gmail.com

(Formerly Vectrix Europe Technical Supervisor)

One door closes, another door opens

RaDy
RaDy's picture

R, as you now the best thing you can do is take it to repair, as your warranty is still valid, but i recomend : Que vayas a SUZUKA en Badalona, segun los de Madrid estan mas preparado para trabajar en mantenimiento de motos y no como Oriol que sabe mas de coches, esto es lo que me dijeron por telefono.
Transalation = go to the other dealer in Barcelona, which are better prepared, i was told this by the head office in Madrid.
Raj

Mik
Mik's picture

Occasionally, when a fuse fails, instead of failing completely (open circuit) it becomes a high resistance connection. It can conduct enough current to slowly charge up the MC caps. When the voltage on the caps reaches the lower threshold of the 12V DC/DC converter the 12V comes on, powers all the 12V stuff (dash) which quickly discharges the caps to the lower threshold again and the 12V turns off. Depending on the state of the fuse this can happen once or several times and may happen each time you cycle the key. Other times it opens completely when it fails and thats the end of it (speedo stuck at the last speed).

Thanks for that! It makes a lot of sense (much more than my usual half-truths...)!

R
R's picture

Dear Rady,
Good to know you're here again!
Have you seen the meeting's logo about sitges?

Thanks for the advice. As I mentioned before:

Waited 5 minutes and the key switch did not respond again. I called the dealer, and suggested me to take the bike to Suzuka. To my great relief the insurance assistance show up pretty fast.
Now the bike is in hands of Suzuka

So don't worry, Zuzuka is already checking the bike. And f. Montoya is completely aware of everything.

The main Issue in Automocion 2000 is that Oriol is the only one who deals with Vectrix, canams, and complex electronics of the sassayongs and hyundais. He is a very professional guy, but he is outnumbered by the huge amount of work that lies on his shoulders.

R
R's picture

And please don't take any offence to my questions.

Wow!I beg your pardon, Winged? you said offence? No way!!
I cannot imagine the possibility of taking any offence to the questions of somebody who is trying to help me! take my words away "from the dark side", Its just that I'm feeling embarassed of writting in u naccurate english ... However, The more I'm writting in this forum the better my english gets! ;-)
R
R's picture

Dear Winged_racer.
Somebody in this forum says:

"The latest versions now have a 200ah fuse fitted instead of a 125ah and this is what we have been fitting if we do get a failure".

Is that true? In case my vectrix needs to get a new fuse, the spanish warranty should upgrade my dead 125Ah fuse to 200Ah one, or I'll have to get used at getting my fuse replaced every year;-)? ( by the way, if the problem is the fuse, this would be the second one that melts in my motorbike!!)
Thank you very much for your suport!

pd: If you Know Jon Harris (quality and logistic), tell him that I will be forever grateful with him: He solved the crazy plantery noise of my bike by sending a proper swing arm replacement!
Now the noise is still really fine.

Mik
Mik's picture

"The latest versions now have a 200ah fuse fitted instead of a 125ah and this is what we have been fitting if we do get a failure".

Is that true? In case my vectrix needs to get a new fuse, the spanish warranty should upgrade my dead 125Ah fuse to 200Ah one, or I'll have to get used at getting my fuse replaced every year;-)? ( by the way, if the problem is the fuse, this would be the second one that melts in my motorbike!!)

The 200A versions of these fuses might be a lot easier to get than the 125A ones!

At least the 100A and the 150A versions are standard items in many fuse shops. The 125A version does not seem to get used a lot, they had to actually make one for me at the factory. That took several weeks, so I ordered a 150A fuse and had it the next day. That was 18 months ago, and even when the 125A fuse finally arrived I left the 150A fuse in there.

Wotnopetrol

I wish I knew if I had a 200 amp fuse fitted when mine failed at 2000 miles.

As I'm approaching 4000 miles, it would really give me some peace of mind. I'm expecting to be dumped at the side of the road each time I go out these days.

Simon

RaDy
RaDy's picture

Yes R, i agree Oriol is good at his work but he is simply overloaded, the thing is that everyone is recomneding me to go to Suzuka, although its not very convenient for me, too far but possible. I still have to take it to Oriol at least once more for him to have a look at the new gearbox after 1.000kms, and that will be tomorrow!!!
About the next meeting , yes i have seen the poster and it looks very good, lets see if we get some new owners.
My Vec is working fine. Ill give you a call tomorrow and we can talk all these matters, Fuse,Suzuka,my gearbox revision and the meeting.
RaDy

R
R's picture

I'm glad to know your V is fine!. It is a pity I might no have my vectrix in time for the meeting... Would you mind carring me? hahahahha! just kidding! I'll manage to get another bike, maybe a teycars.

Cheers,
R

RaDy
RaDy's picture

It was cool that we spoke on the phone to get updated. i just wanted to mention here that my gearbox got an oil replacement and that everything seems to work fine.
Unfortunately i am going to Madrid for work and i wont be able to attend the meeting.
One thing i will try to do in Madrid is find some spare time to go over to the Dealer there and ask him for a replacement of the throttle!!

R
R's picture

It is a pitty that you won't be able to come with your Vectrix...
Good luck with the throttle..

R
R's picture

I've received confirmation from Suzuka: The 125Ah Fuse is blown again. The dealer from madrid has a 200Ah fuse replacement ready to be send immedately.
Again, superb service from Spanih Dealer!

R
R's picture

The "Normal" fuse formula Imax*2/3; Imax in vectrix is 275 Ah*2/3 =183Ah 200Ah fuse is more suitable than 125 Ah...
Mick, it would be a good idea to upgrade your fuse from 150 Ah to 200 Ah...

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Had I known that earlier, I would have told my dealer to replace the fuse with the 200A one , when I had the bike for repair, at my own cost. At my next visit, I will do that along with other checkups and stuff.

When my battery was replaced I paid 70 EUR for checkup and stuff. I didn't understand him, what he did, 'cos I don't speak Italian. Is it possible, that he replaced the fuse by himself? I noticed that the two holes in the frame, above the front wheel, got duct taped. Maybe he also replaced the fuse?

R
R's picture

noticed that the two holes in the frame, above the front wheel, got duct taped. Maybe he also replaced the fuse?

duct taped? Mmm I'm afraid I don't get you. Maybe you can take a picture....

AndY1
AndY1's picture

I will. In other thread people (Mik and a Vectrix tech) were talking about it. It's in the alu frame, above the front wheel, if you look up. There are 2 large holes. Through these, splashes of water can come into a battery compartment. Mik asked if the holes could be duct taped and the tech said that he has it duct taped on his. Then I checked my bike and noticed duct tape over these two holes. I guess my repair engineer did that as a part of checkup.

Edit: I found it: http://visforvoltage.org/forum/7213-battery-light-flashing#comment-41386
//visforvoltage.org/sites/default/files/u1445/holes.JPG)

Pages

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Persival
  • boomingheight
  • janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57

Support V is for Voltage