Stereo power

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Spaceangel
Stereo power

Where do I find power without doing too much to maybe void warranty on VX-1? I figure I could put a small DC-DC converter that could supply a full 13.8 volt to 14.32 volt to a nice stereo, CD, or a nice 2 meter radio. I believe the pack to be 120 to 125 volt nominal and Progressive Dynamics, Iota, Power One and many others build DC-DC converters to make 13 volt power. I just was riding and heard a small Made- in - China scooter with two persons on board playing a stereo so loud. It must have been some mega bass power. I am sure the alternator was maxed out. I have all the range I need on the VX-1 so a little power going into a small NP7-12 and stereo won't be much of a load on pack for me. There is a 12.0 volt 500 MA cigarette light socket for cell phone charging or MP-3 in glove box. I ordered a low rider seat and will modify trunk space for a tour pack. So I can place DC-DC under seat and place Amplifier behind me with lumbar support for new seat. Under the seat there is three wires and I am sure it can't be drive power? It must be plenum cooling power?
Rusty

marylandbob
Re: Stereo power

I have an XM satellite radio, with amplifier and 3 speakers fitted to my 2008 Vectrix. I power it from a 20 ampere-hour LiFePo4 battery under the seat. This battery, from "Batteryspace.com" part#CU-J246 costs $298.95 US. The battery charges up to about 14.5 volts, and remains above 12 volts for most of discharge. Charge balance/control board is included with the battery, you can charge it in about 2 hours, from a 10 amp, 15.0 volt power source. Output for up to 55 ampere load is available from the built-in protective circuit board, which also disconnects the load at minimum safe discharge voltage. This battery is totally independent of the Vectrix electrical system. I installed 2 SONY coaxial loudspeakers up front, in the fairing one on the right, the other on the left, facing downward, and the 8 inch subwoofer is monted in the bottom of my rear luggage box. GREAT sound! I am also a HAM operator, and can operate my 50 watt VHF and 100 watt HF radio from this battery, which always has lasted longer than the Vectrix battery!--Bob (KC3VO)

Robert M. Curry

R
R's picture

This battery is totally independent of the Vectrix electrical system

If you still want your warranty, consider installing a totally independent electrical system...

ElectricLou
ElectricLou's picture

Hello Bob,
Meet KA2PFL! I would love to see some pictures, and this comes from a guy who installed a stereo system in a jet-ski in 2002 (and still works fine). When the ski went back to the dealer, the dealer freaked out and said he was going to void my warranty. Found another dealer to go to and he was cool with it. My system ties to the 30 ah jet ski battery but many tests were made to make sure the charging system was up to the task of powering the 200 watt (rms) Rockford Fosgate amp. I have been using headphones in the helmet for the vectrix.

I would have used a dc to dc converter rather then have the extra weight of the battery (my wife rides with me most of the time). Although she is only 110 pounds, it reduces range around 15%. It may be worse then that over 45 mph as the passenger sits higher then the driver. But using your system avoids any warranty issue (not that we have one anymore).

marylandbob

Hello, Lou! I sent my telephone info to you, via E-mail. Please call me, I would like to chat.--73, KC3VO, Bob

Robert M. Curry

marylandbob

Hello, Lou! I sent my telephone info to you, via E-mail. Please call me, I would like to chat.--73, KC3VO, Bob

Robert M. Curry

carl

Another idea is to charge an extra battery from the 0.5 A accessory port in the glove box. Maybe a small battery can be located in the glove box?
In this case a current limiter (0.5 A) must be fitted.

Spaceangel

Thanks for all the replies. Even though there is NO warranty implied or otherwise, I am going with High Energy LiFePO4 for power. I was going with charging via charge port but 12.0 volt charge port is actually 11.9 volt with no load and drops to 11.55 with 400 milliamp load. Therefore it can not charge a 12.6 volt Pb-acid battery to full 13.8 volts. I am not too good at following David's instructions for inserting picture of meter. But I will try again. I used an accurate analog meter since it seem easier to photograph. Plus keeping all wires stock will make it some what easier for shop to work on stock unit. BTW what type of antenna do I use for 2 meters? Is ground plane adequate or do I need to use a Marine Antenna? I am cutting cabinet grade plywood and using fiberglass covering for rear passenger seat and mounting back rest and tour pack. I think the color green is Emerald green? Primer should be light zinc chromate?IM000126 (WinCE).JPGhttp://visforvoltage.org/imce?app=nomatter|onload@imceInlineImceLoad#IM000128 (WinCE).JPG

KB1UKU

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage