Need Schematics.

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Persona Non-Grata
Need Schematics.

Hi, I'm new here and have a question, and it's answer seems to not exist online so I'm hoping that some human help will work. The charger for my Kaishan k500w scooter blew a resistor, a "pop" sound and smoke included. I can still tell that it was a resistor, but the colour bands have been obliterated. The circut board says "XCC-48V-H2 0510-8761553" along the top. does anyone have an electrical schematic diagram for it, detailed pictures, or the resistance value for the "R7" resistor (it says that in a rectangle below the charred resistor)? It worked for months bofore hand. If anyone has an answer, or any idea on how to find an answer please tell me. The quoted call number is the only identifing mark, no make, brand, or model names, numbers, or symbols are on the charger its-self. There is no scooter dealer in the area so I can't go to them.

marylandbob
Re: Need Schematics.

I cannot tell you the resistor value without much more detail, but resistors that fail as described usually fail because SOMETHING ELSE WENT WRONG! You will need to determine what happened to CAUSE the excess current flow that burned the resistor, or simply replacing it will lead to a repeat performance, possibly with additional damage. Were all connections properly made? Are all batteries actually GOOD? Did anything accidentaly short out?---Be careful, and good luck,---- Bob Curry

Robert M. Curry

reikiman
reikiman's picture

If you don't have luck with that question.. there are vendors who sell suitable charger replacements. A couple are listed in the vendor directory: http://visforvoltage.org/vendorlist/1029

robert93
robert93's picture

I know this may be a useless contact, but here's the contact info for Kaishan http://www.kaishanebikes.com/contact.html
They may bounce you back to the dealer to order/purchase a new charger, but, who knows.

Persona Non-Grata

Thankyou for the responce, I will provide more detail. The fuse is still there and intact. The only damage is the resistor its self and some fallout soot. The indicator light does not glow, the fan does not run, and it now puts out just under 2 volts, this may just be the maintence voltage though. During the failure there were no arcs or crackling sounds, just the pop and puff of smoke. I suspect that it was a defect with this resistor. Here are some pictures: Wide angle of whole circit board.  And a couple of closeups of the burnt out resistor and its neighbours; Close-up 1.  ; Close-up 2.  . Perhaps if someone has an external charger for a Kaishan, that's out of warranty, and who would be comfortable opening it up and posting some colour pictures of the upper side of the board, I could read the colour bands and make my judgement according to that. Mine is not under warranty, and again, there is no dealer to referr to.

With a hammer, a chisle can be made. With a hammer and chistle, files can be made. With hammer, chisle, and file anything else can be made.
Kaishan k500w retired, Merida TEV500 on indefinite sabbatical, currently using a Currie E-zip Trailz.

robert93
robert93's picture

Have you checked with these places?
http://www.kaishanebikes.com/dealers.html

Fourcycle
Fourcycle's picture

No fun. That's a switching power supply and it looks like the resistor that went is on the high voltage, line connected, side. It looks to be a 1/4 watt resistor and it did see a LOT more than a quarter watt! It's very rare for them to go bad in a way to draw such excessive current. I suspect it went as a result of something else going bad, like the other poster said. Either that or the power supply saw accidental contact with something it wasn't suppose to contact...

Whatever you do, be cautious around that thing when it's powered!

If your only tool is a hammer
everything looks like a nail.

Persona Non-Grata

Sorry for not responding sooner. Yes, I have checked them, I found a better price for a 48 volt charger at a different place though. Noone was willing to share information because it mite cause a liability.

With a hammer, a chisle can be made. With a hammer and chistle, files can be made. With hammer, chisle, and file anything else can be made.
Kaishan k500w retired, Merida TEV500 on indefinite sabbatical, currently using a Currie E-zip Trailz.

Persona Non-Grata

I caved and bought a new charger.

robert93
robert93's picture

Hopefully you are back up and running then. After the warranty on that charger expires you can crack it open and with any luck get the info needed to fix the first one, if they stayed the same.

kilowatt

My board blew in this area as well. Along with the eight legged chip, my resiters' value I can see on your board, the chip I can't. your resisters' value is 152 ohms. I suspect your chip may be weakened. If you can read this chip what is it? I'd appreciate it. thanks
kilowatt

Kaishancharger3.GIFps here's a pic
Persona Non-Grata

Hi, Thankyou for the resistance value. The chip in mine says " KA3842A " in the first line, and in the second line it says " 0546/2 ".

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage