The Zero S motorcycle is certified to get 455 miles/gallon equivalent

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
reikiman
reikiman's picture
The Zero S motorcycle is certified to get 455 miles/gallon equivalent

Reposted from: The Zero S motorcycle is certified to get 455 miles/gallon equivalent

ds_right-web.jpgZero Motorcycles recently announced achieving three significant milestones and claim to be the first electric motorcycle company to do so. These milestones are to pass US safety standards, pass Canadian safety standards, and to receive an EPA Certificate of Conformity. As a result, buyers of the Zero S and Zero DS can now benefit from major government incentives. Presumably the certifications also give reassurance to quality and environmental benefit.

Zero Motorcycles claims that under the proposed EPA regulations issued on Sept 15, 2009, the Zero S and DS achieve an equivalent of 455 MPG and generate zero grams of CO2 per mile. However as previously noted electrons do not come in gallons and gasoline does not come in coulombs, hence to claim "455 MPG" must involve some sort of conversion factor (see 230 MPG WTF: Looking at todays Volt announcement from GM).  Zero Motorcycles says the conversion they used comes from a proposed EPA regulation issued on Sept 15, 2009.

The Zero S is a fully electric motorcycle that is built from the ground up around its revolutionary drivetrain technology. It is a street legal supermoto motorcycle that is designed for urban riding. The Zero DS is the dual sport version of the Zero S and can be ridden on anything from city streets to dirt trails. The motorcycles are not only zero emissions vehicles; they are also completely non-toxic and almost 100% recyclable.

Achieving these U.S. certifications means that the Zero S and DS meet all the requirements for newly created Federal tax credits on street legal electric motorcycles. It allows buyers to receive the 10% Federal tax credit and the state sales tax credit established by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.

The tax credit in question is from section 1142 of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. The credit applies to two- or three- wheeled electric vehicles with at least a 2.5 kilowatt-hour battery pack.

For more info: 
Energy Provisions of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009

Zero Motorcycles Leads the Industry: First to Pass National EPA Certification and to Meet US and Canadian Safety Standards: Zero's All-Electric Motorcycle Achieves Equivalent of 455 MPG
Zero Motorcycles supports nationwide tour of the FUEL film

wgeso
wgeso's picture
Re: The Zero S motorcycle is certified to get 455 ...

Looks it nice Zero motorcycle
look forward from u more about that.

LiFePO4 battery pack solution for continuous discharge 3C
Max.5c Discharge Current
WGESO (Shanghai) Trade Department.
Email : Sales [at] wgeso.com / Service [at] wgeso.com
Online Store : www.wgeso.com
Address : NO.76, Nanle Rd., Songjiang Dist., Shanghai

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Zero Motorcycles claims that under the proposed EPA regulations issued on Sept 15, 2009, the Zero S and DS achieve an equivalent of 455 MPG and generate zero grams of CO2 per mile. However as previously noted electrons do not come in gallons and gasoline does not come in coulombs, hence to claim "455 MPG" must involve some sort of conversion factor (see 230 MPG WTF: Looking at todays Volt announcement from GM).  Zero Motorcycles says the conversion they used comes from a proposed EPA regulation issued on Sept 15, 2009.

I'm curious as to what folks think about having EV manufacturers use an MPG equivalence number in their marketing efforts?

On the one hand the engineer in me dislikes it. After all the conversion factor is open to all sorts of debate. However, if it's backed by a body such as the EPA then at least we'd all be playing on a somewhat level playing field.

On the other hand I wonder if it represents a convenient figure that will help potential customers compare the myriad of options coming out. Car makers are boasting of conventional ICE efficiencies of 30 MPG and parallel hybrids with 40+ MPG. Add in plug in serial hybrids such as the Volt claiming 230 MPG and then perhaps electric only vehicles should start using these numbers to gain appropriate awareness in the marketplace?

What do you all think?

I admit I'm trying to find out if CuMoCo might loose or gain credibility if we start to say "400+MPG" (or whatever it calculates out to be using the same conversion factor as the Zero-S). We're likely to add the figure to our FAQ in some way - but I'm wondering how equivalent MPG might play into more direct marketing.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

MikeB

I'm curious as to what folks think about having EV manufacturers use an MPG equivalence number in their marketing efforts?

Technically, I think using MPG just sucks, especially since the conversions are so distorted. The Chevy Volt actually gets ~50mpg once it's battery is used up, how that translates into a 230MPG number is pure magic.

I think it's great to list miles/kWh, or watt-hours/mile, or even $$/mile (at average utility rates). But for a pure electric vehicle, any sort of MPG number is not very useful. Cost per mile (or 100 mile, or 1000 mile) is probably the best marketing comparison, especially if you plug in a reasonable value for electricity and gasoline cost.

Adding the EPA computed value to the FAQ might be ok, but only if you have a disclaimer about the conversion factor being used.

My electric vehicle: CuMoCo C130 scooter.

Reid250

Sea;
You can find some information here;

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s-specs.php

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/clips/2009-zero-motorcycles-zero-s/1120652/

With the $10,000 price tag, I hope it has a market and not just for motorized jewelry?

Anderson

It's interesting that they only give motor specs for there two dirt bike models which are 23 peak HP.
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-x-specs.php

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage